• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona during San Fermin

sacjward

Time of past OR future Camino
July & August, 2024
I am excited to begin my first Camino this summer (2024). I am locked in to my time period and will be headed out of St Jean on the morning of July 4th. That puts me arriving in Pamplona on the afternoon of July 6th which is the beginning and most popular part of the festival. My concern is where to stay. Obviously I don’t need to stay in the city but the surrounding areas are booked up and/or are charging way more than I can afford. I believe many of the Albergues are not even open during that time. Any advice of where to stay or a schedule that puts me further from the city? Any advice from people who may have walked during the same period in 2023 would be much appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am excited to begin my first Camino this summer (2024). I am locked in to my time period and will be headed out of St Jean on the morning of July 4th. That puts me arriving in Pamplona on the afternoon of July 6th which is the beginning and most popular part of the festival. My concern is where to stay. Obviously I don’t need to stay in the city but the surrounding areas are booked up and/or are charging way more than I can afford. I believe many of the Albergues are not even open during that time. Any advice of where to stay or a schedule that puts me further from the city? Any advice from people who may have walked during the same period in 2023 would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome on this forum.

This thread might be of help.

The website from Gronze might also be a help in finding altenative accomodation outside Pamplona.

Happy preparations.

You could avoid Pamplona totally during the Festival of San Fermin.

From the Pamplona airport walk southeast to Tiebas to join the Camino Aragones and perhaps stay in the Tiebas albergue. (This is their Gronze page). Reservations are accepted.

The hub of Tiebas is the bar/resto in the Centro Social de Tiebas, at # 34 Calle Mayor, tel +34 948 36 00 02

After Tiebas walk west on the CA paralleling route NA-601 to the splendid circular Romanesque church at Eunate where the albergue is now unfortunately closed and then 4km further to Puente la Reina/Gares to re-meet the Camino Frances.

Happy planning and Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe you could stay at Trinidad de Arre, about 4.5km before you reach Pamplona. It's a wonderful place, full of history that has had a hostel for pilgrims since the 12th C. quite basic but comfortable. Then walk through the city early morning when it's a little quieter. I have stayed at Trinidad de Arre but not during San Fermin.

Maybe you could stay at Trinidad de Arre, about 4.5km before you reach Pamplona. It's a wonderful place, full of history that has had a hostel for pilgrims since the 12th C. quite basic but comfortable. Then walk through the city early morning when it's a little quieter. I have stayed at Trinidad de Arre but not during San Fermin.
Yes, that is what I am hoping to do, but I haven’t been able to get in touch with them to see about booking (maybe too early?). I have tried email and a message on WhatsApp but nothing back yet.

I stayed in Trinidad de Arres during San Fermin in 2016. I didn't have a reservation but just walked there from Zubiri and they had room. (Actually, I walked a little further to another albergue that was full with reservations and then walked back to Trinidad de Arre. I think, in the end, it was a better choice than whatever that albergue was that was full.).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You could stay in Zabaldika, it is a fabulous donativo albergue just north of Pamplona on the Camino. I stayed there in 2019 and it was one of the highlights of my Camino.

It is not possible to reserve at Zabaldika but if you walk from Zubiri then you should get there relatively early in the day and you will not have a problem getting a bed.

Hi sacjward. When I walked the Frances in 2017, I stopped in Villava, a town of about 10,000 people, and stayed at the Albergue de Villava Atarrabia along the banks of the Rio Ultzama just east of Pamplona. It was rather spartan place, but warm and welcoming with bunks upstairs. My roommates were German graduate students whom I joined for dinner and then the next morning walked with them the short 4 km distance into Pamplona proper. You may wish to give this option some consideration. For sure, Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
While I did not walk in 2023, I know the terrain quite well, and also the time period you specify. You have very helpful replies above.
If you plan to leave Roncesvalles on 5th, after beginning in SJPdP on 4th, it is about 34km to Zabaldika, which could be heavily queued by the time you might arrive, depending on the length of your stride, plus another 3km more or less to Trinidad de Arre, the traditional albergue which @CarolamS recommends. That albergue, currently (unless there has been a change) operated by a very nice hospitalero, is a highlight of the section. I visited the other albergue in Villava, and while functional, with around 50 beds, bookable, I would much prefer the traditional one which is also bookable, there is a facebook presence.
From there, 5km remain to Pamplona. An early passing through will let you do just that - pass through. More than good enough if your interest is camino, and not the festivities!
Another option, a few km more instead of stopping in Roncesvalles, is to aim for Espinal, and that would allow a shorter walk on 5th. I concur with @DoughnutANZ that Zabaldika is special. (Here, in line with modern standards of transparency and compliance, I must declare I have a vested interest in it!)
Buen camino👣

I just came in to search for an answer to this question myself and appreciate all of the responses given. Thank you 🙂

We will be coming from Larrasoaña on July 7 and would rather not stop before Pamplona as that would make for a very short walking day. I’m wondering about walking into Pamplona and then hopping on a bus to head to Obanos or Puente la Reina for sleeping that night, then busing back to Pamplona the next morning to continue walking on to PLR for a second night. Seems like a big runaround, but we really don’t want to pay the San Fermín rates in Pamplona. Does this make sense? I wonder, though, if it will it be hard to get a seat on the local bus during this time?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked through Pamplona during San Fermín in 2017. I stayed in Larrasoaña then Cizur Menor. Unfortunately, there is now only one albergue there, with 27 beds, and they don't accept reservations. In nearby Cizur Mayor there are several hotels, but I imagine that their rates will be sky high during San Fermín.

The albergue in Zariquiegui does accept reservations, and has 26 beds.

I can't emphasis how big the crowds will be when walking through Pamplona. If you are claustrophobic or just don't like to be around huge crowds I would find a way to walk around.

It's definitely a carnival atmosphere, and it was fun to see everyone dressed in the traditional white with red accents.

Pamplona during San Fermín.jpg

I walked through Pamplona during San Fermín in 2017. I stayed in Larrasoaña then Cizur Menor. Unfortunately, there is now only one albergue there, with 27 beds, and they don't accept reservations. In nearby Cizur Mayor there are several hotels, but I imagine that their rates will be sky high during San Fermín.

I can't emphasis how big the crowds will be when walking through Pamplona. If you are claustrophobic or just don't like to be around huge crowds I would find a way to walk around.

It's definitely a carnival atmosphere, and it was fun to see everyone dressed in the traditional white with red accents.

View attachment 162524
Yes indeed! I attended in 2022 and my friend and I actually ran! It quite nerve wracking (I am not the particularly brave type!). Saw a few people get hurt but not too serious!

It’s a total 24 hrs event! I arrived off the night bus from Valencia at 0700 and whilst walking to hotel there were many revellers still out.

It’s amazing how soon after the run the barricades are removed and the town gets in full party swing!

I bought a costume (beret etc) and it was quite an occasion!

Last edited:

View attachment 162524
Thanks for the Albergue San Andrés suggestion, I will look into that. Appreciate your help! 🙂

We have been to Pamplona the day after San Fermín ended…everyone looked absolutely exhausted lol 😆

I did find a bus that would take us to Obanos or PLR from Pamplona for about €3, and you can purchase advance tickets for it. Good to know if that ends up being our choice 🤷🏻‍♀️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes indeed! I attended in 2022 and my friend and I actually ran! It quite nerve wracking (I am not the particularly brave type!). Saw a few people get hurt but not too serious!

It’s a total 24 hrs event! I arrived off the night bus from Valencia at 0700 and whilst walking to hotel there were many revellers still out.

It’s amazing how soon after the run the barricades are removed and the town gets in full party swing!

I bought a costume (beret etc) and it was quite an occasion!
What a memory to have! Glad you survived it lol! 🐮

We have been to Pamplona the day after San Fermín ended…everyone looked absolutely exhausted lol 😆
We got to Pamplona after leaving from Larrasoaña in the morning just as they were hosing down the streets from the prior night's partying.

If anyone would like to stay in an albergue near Pamplona for two nights, and bus in to see the festivities, Tiebas (on the Camino Catalán) may be just what you're looking for. When LT and I walked the Catalán, we stopped for a look around at the Tiebas albergue, on our last day into Puente la Reina where it joins the Francés. The hospitalero told us that they will let pilgrims spend two nights there during San Fermines. Info on the albergue here. Tiebas is about 15 km from Pamplona and has regular and very frequent bus service into Pamplona.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
AFAIK and as told by the Hospitalero, the only accessible Albergue is the splendid Casa Paderborn just outside the city walls down on the banks of the Arga (and near the Arena). I don't know, if they accept reservations nowadays.
I passed through Pamplona a week prior to the San Fermines in 2019 and they set up all Bullwalls and the cables, cameraposts and TV equipment, many shops were boarding up that day.

Just contact the Casa Paderborn and ask.

HTH

BC
Roland

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I stayed in Larrasoaña then Cizur Menor. Unfortunately, there is now only one albergue there, with 27 beds, and they don't accept reservations.
Very basic, run by nuns of the Order of Malta, one of my favourite stays on my CF (despite my usual reservation of OMG what is this place I'm going to hate it). The church is literally 20 yards across the yard and has armchairs in so you can just go and sit in comfort in there. Wonderful new bar/restaurant in the newer part of town, and another beautiful old church that overlooks Pamplona itself both 5min walk away. Then of course Alto del Perdon in the sunrise the next day - it's the stuff Camino dreams are made of.Camino-249.jpg20230928_083157~2.JPG20230927_142736~2.JPG20230927_202713~2.JPG20230927_134504~2.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very basic, run by nuns of the Order of Malta, one of my favourite stays on my CF (despite my usual reservation of OMG what is this place I'm going to hate it). The church is literally 20 yards across the yard and has armchairs in so you can just go and sit in comfort in there. Wonderful new bar/restaurant in the newer part of town, and another beautiful old church that overlooks Pamplona itself both 5min walk away. Then of course Alto del Perdon in the sunrise the next day - it's the stuff Camino dreams are made of.View attachment 162651View attachment 162650View attachment 162648View attachment 162649View attachment 162652
This link will lead to lots of information about the Order of Malta.
oops! The link! https://www.orderofmalta.int/

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back