• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cold nights in summer?

Roma247

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Hello all,

I've heard plenty about how hot it can be on the Camino at the height of summer, but not as much about what it's like at night. My daughter recently spoke with a woman who walked the Camino Frances during July, who said it was absolutely crucial to have a light puffer jacket because it got so chilly at night.

That sounds like overkill to me. I am slender and can tend to get chilled a little easier than others, but I'm also old enough that hot flashes are a thing. But being cold can be miserable, especially if you're trying to sleep. Just want a little sanity check here...

I am walking the Frances from early June through mid-July, and I'm planning to wear long sleeve merino wool tops with a Macabi skirt. I am bringing a pair of leggings to wear underneath should it be chilly (and for the plane ride there and back), and I have a super lightweight cashmere sweater as well. Plus I have a turkish towel that can double as a shawl if needed. I wasn't planning to bring a buff or scarf, but can easily add that if it's strongly recommended.

I'm trying to decide between bringing my OOFOS slides or thongs to wear after the long day's hike...I like the thongs better but I wonder if my feet will be too cold if I can't wear socks...in which case the slides would be a better choice...

I'm planning to stay in albergues/other pilgrim accomodations. I am bringing a silk liner and was planning to sleep in one of my shirts and a pair of shorts. I'm not planning to bring a blanket, and I really don't want to bring anything unnecessary.

Does this sound like it will be enough to keep me warm on chilly summer evenings?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wouldn't bring a puffer jacket, but maybe a fleece jacket or vest.

It is true that while it is hot during daytime, it can be cold at night and in the morning, especially at higher elevation.

I remember Foncebadon in july - maybe 2 or 3 degrees in the morning up there. Down in Molinaseca later in the day it was over 30.

But you can use your rain gear for warmth, too.

Also, when you had many hot days and then it cools down to 20°C or so, it might feel cold even though it isn't (because you got used to the hot temperatures).

I walked my caminos in May/June, so my experience will be a bit different to July. However, i experienced quite some chilly evenings, the occasional strong wind, single digit mornings, and one day in June 2019 even a bit of snow at Foncebadon. So i pack that i can walk (for some time) in adverse conditions and that i can sit around with people in the evening having a wine. Might be that those cold-ish evenings are rather rare, but i gotten a cold once on the camino and it is not fun, so i rather have an item of clothing more in my pack.
For me layering system of T-Shirt - very thin Longsleeve - slightly padded windresistant Jacket - very thin rain Jacket works well in a variety of temperatures. For sitting around in single digits its not enough, so i added an extra fleece sweater for that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does this sound like it will be enough to keep me warm on chilly summer evenings?
I think that a jacket would be over the top. I stayed in Burgos in July 19 (Emaus) and the temperature at night did fell to a chilling 9°C by open windows. The heat on midday was exceeding 30°C!
Used my liner and a blanket offered by the Albergue.

If you are cold at night put sleep in your marino wool top and tights. I bet that will keep you warm. Before I walked in winter and started in mid september or early October I only brought a silk liner to sleep in. There were a few nights I wore just about everything I had to sleep but it was fine. I would prefer to sleep in my extra clothes then carry extra weight.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
But you can use your rain gear for warmth, too.

Yes! I forgot to mention that of course I will have a poncho...I have a Packa.
I would prefer to sleep in my extra clothes then carry extra weight.

This is what I'm thinking too.

Being the sort who always seems to overpack with many "just in case" items, I'm trying to radically depart from that.

Besides... should it be unseasonably cold this summer for some reason, I can always buy something along the way, if what I pack proves insufficient, right? :cool:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When the sun went down it was cold up at O Cebreiro at the beginning of August. In the morning I wore socks on my hands and my buff pulled up over my face. My lightweight sun hoodie, light merino wool sweater, and merino leggings kept the rest of me warm.

I have been cold at night in Pamplona, 6/29 and Leon, 7/13 wearing a tee shirt, long sleeve shirt and a fleece in layers. In general a fleece or what is called a down sweeter or vest should be fine.
Remember weight!

I'd bring something warm. From Astorga ro SdC we experienced many chilly night in July 2023. The air temp was comfy, but there was wind and that seemed to bring the temp down much more. Out of O Cebreiro I though my hands were going to get frost bite in the early morning walk out of town. I walked in July and expected heat, which I tolerate very easy. I'm not so good with the below 60 stuff.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back