So....I purchased airfare today......

MeliCunn

May 4, 2016
Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully.....soon! Yes! September 2016!!
My Camino will be in September! I am excited, nervous, anxious, and a lot of other verbs! But it is going to happen!! Please don't judge me, this is my first try at this, so I've decided to start in Sarria and walk to Santiago. I just didn't want to 'bite off more than I could chew,' so to speak. If I fall in love with this journey, as many of you pilgrims have, I will be back for more.
So, now that I have begged forgiveness in hopes of not being brandished (yes, I read this forum) as a non-pilgrim, or a cheater, or (gasp!) tourist, I will get to the point.
I need to know everything about the Camino Frances in September! What will the weather be like? Will it be crowded? Should I take the train or the bus from Madrid to Sarria? Can anyone suggest a place to stay the night I arrive in Sarria? (I want to be well rested when I start the next morning.)
In general, I am looking for support and inspiration, hints, tips, and advice, and information!!
Thanks to all!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
W

whariwharangi

Several options:

a. Take Renfe train from Madrid to Sarria.

b. Take Renfe train from Madrid to Monforte de Lemos. Take Monbus bus from Monforte de Lemos to Sarria.

c. Take ALSA bus from Madrid to Lugo. Take Monbus bus from Lugo to Sarria.

d. Take flight from Madrid to Santiago. Take Empresa Freire bus from Airport to Lugo. Take Monbus Bus from Lugo to Sarria.

e. Take flight from Madrid to A Coruna. Take local bus from airport to bus station. Take Arriva bus from A Coruna bus station to Lugo. Take Monbus bus from Lugo to Sarria

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Feb 17, 2015
Canada
Frances; Aragones; VdlP; Madrid-Invierno; Levante
My Camino will be in September! I am excited, nervous, anxious, and a lot of other verbs! But it is going to happen!! Please don't judge me, this is my first try at this, so I've decided to start in Sarria and walk to Santiago. I just didn't want to 'bite off more than I could chew,' so to speak. If I fall in love with this journey, as many of you pilgrims have, I will be back for more.
So, now that I have begged forgiveness in hopes of not being brandished (yes, I read this forum) as a non-pilgrim, or a cheater, or (gasp!) tourist, I will get to the point.
I need to know everything about the Camino Frances in September! What will the weather be like? Will it be crowded? Should I take the train or the bus from Madrid to Sarria? Can anyone suggest a place to stay the night I arrive in Sarria? (I want to be well rested when I start the next morning.)
In general, I am looking for support and inspiration, hints, tips, and advice, and information!!
Thanks to all!!

@MeliCunn:
Welcome to the forum. The most exciting time of planning your camino is when you have committed yourself by booking your flight. There is much useful information on the forum and you have lots of time to look through it. I stayed just past Sarria when I was walking the camino last fall, so I cannot recommend a particular place to stay. But you can look for a place on http://www.gronze.com/etapa/triacastela/samos/sarria . If you scroll down to near the bottom of the screen, you will see a listing of the accommodation in Sarria, including albergues (hostels) printed in brown and other accommodation printed in black. Information about each can be found by pointing at the name of the albergue or other accommodation and clicking on the name. Use Google translate if you can't follow the Spanish. Most places can be booked through Booking.com.
I walked from the end of September last year through to November. I was fortunate with the weather, which was mostly dry, but there are no guarantees. You will be walking only in Galicia, which is the wettest area on the camino frances, as you are walking toward the Atlantic Ocean. If you are starting early in September, it may be warm. You will find lots of information on this forum about what gear and clothing you need to do your camino comfortably. Check out the threads about footwear and training, as you should get some good shoes and make sure you are in shape for the walk. Sarria to Santiago is easy walking with no major hills or other obstacles, so you should not have difficulty if you are in reasonable health and shape. There is a lot of accommodation, so you can take short days if you wish. Have fun in your planning. Blessings and Buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
MeliCunn,

Welcome to the Forum!

During most recent caminos I have stayed in Sarria at the private Albergue O-Durminento at rúa Maior nº 44. See here for more information. http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-o-durminento.

It is sparkling clean and bright and you can book ahead. Dorm rooms as well as private spaces are available. They offer a delcious dinner if you wish but the rua Maior is also a good street for inexpensive restaurants.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

MeliCunn

May 4, 2016
Several options:

a. Take Renfe train from Madrid to Sarria.

b. Take Renfe train from Madrid to Monforte de Lemos. Take Monbus bus from Monforte de Lemos to Sarria.

c. Take ALSA bus from Madrid to Lugo. Take Monbus bus from Lugo to Sarria.

d. Take flight from Madrid to Santiago. Take Empresa Freire bus from Airport to Lugo. Take Monbus Bus from Lugo to Sarria.

e. Take flight from Madrid to A Coruna. Take local bus from airport to bus station. Take Arriva bus from A Coruna bus station to Lugo. Take Monbus bus from Lugo to Sarria

This is great information!! Thank you so much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

MeliCunn

May 4, 2016
@MeliCunn:
Welcome to the forum. The most exciting time of planning your camino is when you have committed yourself by booking your flight. There is much useful information on the forum and you have lots of time to look through it. I stayed just past Sarria when I was walking the camino last fall, so I cannot recommend a particular place to stay. But you can look for a place on http://www.gronze.com/etapa/triacastela/samos/sarria . If you scroll down to near the bottom of the screen, you will see a listing of the accommodation in Sarria, including albergues (hostels) printed in brown and other accommodation printed in black. Information about each can be found by pointing at the name of the albergue or other accommodation and clicking on the name. Use Google translate if you can't follow the Spanish. Most places can be booked through Booking.com.
I walked from the end of September last year through to November. I was fortunate with the weather, which was mostly dry, but there are no guarantees. You will be walking only in Galicia, which is the wettest area on the camino frances, as you are walking toward the Atlantic Ocean. If you are starting early in September, it may be warm. You will find lots of information on this forum about what gear and clothing you need to do your camino comfortably. Check out the threads about footwear and training, as you should get some good shoes and make sure you are in shape for the walk. Sarria to Santiago is easy walking with no major hills or other obstacles, so you should not have difficulty if you are in reasonable health and shape. There is a lot of accommodation, so you can take short days if you wish. Have fun in your planning. Blessings and Buen camino.

Thanks Albertagirl!
I have done a lot of research, including meeting a pilgrim and picking her brain for information! I have my pack, my shoes, and I have been training! This trip is a celebration/anniversary of beating sarcoma and being alive. I arrive in Madrid on September 16, but in many ways my pilgrimage has already begun. I have planned on 7 days to walk from Sarria to Santiago (lordy, I hope that's enough!). Thank you for the information!!

Reactions: Albertagirl

MeliCunn

May 4, 2016
MeliCunn,

Welcome to the Forum!

During most recent caminos I have stayed in Sarria at the private Albergue O-Durminento at rúa Maior nº 44. See here for more information. http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-o-durminento.

It is sparkling clean and bright and you can book ahead. Dorm rooms as well as private spaces are available. They offer a delcious dinner if you wish but the rua Maior is also a good street for inexpensive restaurants.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Thank you mspath for the information!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Waka

Veteran Member
Apr 11, 2015
Dorset England
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Seven days will be ample for your journey, just take it nice and easy.
One thing I'd like to mention is, if you can avoid leaving Sarria on a weekend because you'll find a lot of weekend walkers and cyclists around.
My wife joined me in Sarria and we had a pleasant journey to SDC.

Enjoy your first camino and don't take any notice of the people out there who complain and try to judge pilgrims doing the last 100 km, everyone does it their own way, and whether you've walked 100 km or 780 km you are still a pilgrim.

Have a wonderful journey, Buen Camino

MeliCunn

May 4, 2016
Seven days will be ample for your journey, just take it nice and easy.
One thing I'd like to mention is, if you can avoid leaving Sarria on a weekend because you'll find a lot of weekend walkers and cyclists around.
My wife joined me in Sarria and we had a pleasant journey to SDC.

Enjoy your first camino and don't take any notice of the people out there who complain and try to judge pilgrims doing the last 100 km, everyone does it their own way, and whether you've walked 100 km or 780 km you are still a pilgrim.

Have a wonderful journey, Buen Camino

Thanks Waka!
I tried to arrange my schedule so I could arrive and start on a weekday, but it just wouldn't work out. I will arrive on a Friday and start on a Saturday. So be it, I will make the best of it! Thanks for the advice and encouraging words!

Waka

Veteran Member
Apr 11, 2015
Dorset England
Some but not all, and other routes too.
It's really doesn't matter what day you start or finish, It's what's in your mind that matters.
On your journey you will see and experience so many things that are (I think) unbelievable, you'll meet people that are like minded and people that aren't, but that doesn't matter. As I always say, just go with the flow and let the camino take you.

Last edited:
Reactions: MeliCunn
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Oct 15, 2012
Santiago de Compostela
egeria.house
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Thanks to all!!

Even after 17 years and many thousand kilometres I still don't know everything about the Camino. So my first tip would be to leave a bit space for surprises ;)

Weather: Normally warm, but not too hot normally and rain is always a possibility.
Crowded: The biggest crowding should be over, but it will be far from lonely.
Bus/train: Check https://www.rome2rio.com for options.
Sarria: I have no preferences.

Buen Camino, SY

Reactions: MeliCunn

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides