• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So my backpack came up missing on the Camino

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I don't share this story much as I never would want it to define my Camino, I actually forgot about it many times. For some odd reason after reading the thread today about the person who thinks the Camino is not for everyone and seeing the fear that that can stir in some I thought with a slight chuckle maybe I should share my "backpack story". The topic would scare any future pilgrim BUT...if can read thru my poor typing using an Ipad for the first times (bought the day before my Camino)...it might shed some light on a few things. I feel this is where I should share never, not for a nano second on my Camino did I ever want to be anywhere else, I only hope my future Caminos feel the same.
1. What would you do if your backpack, the ONLY thing you own for five weeks comes up missing.
2. Would you be as stupid as I was to begin with to have it come up missing (really don't want to hear how stupid I was folks...just asking folks to think about it) :)
3. Would a calm come over you? It did me...
4. What would you purchase again IF you are physically put in the situation to RETHINK what you need WHILE on the Camino.
5. Most importantly each experience we have in life can change the rest of our experiences that we have. You can really see this on the Camino possibly more than any other place on Earth. If something happens to you and you are held up or pushed ahead your population changes etc... (we all spoke of this when Anne wrote about her Camino in an active thread over the summer). Had my backpack not come up missing there is a population of pilgrims that I love dearly that I never could have met.

My blog is not a good one. I had a lot of trouble typing from an IPad, was never a "texter" and had no idea how to embed my pictures into my blog. My words that I wanted to type were changed by the IPad so I do not find my blog a good read at all...BUT if you can hang in there on this one day's post of it you might find this an interesting thought to entertain.
http://shefollowsshells.blogspot.com/2012_09_23_archive.html

and for the ladies...I will see if I can find a way to embed a picture for the end of the story :)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What a beautiful way to handle and view such a critical situation. I can only hope that, first of all nothing like that happens on our walk, but secondly...if it should, we can deal with it as graciously as you did. Well done!!

[quote
4. What would you purchase again IF you are physically put in the situation to RETHINK what you need WHILE on the Camino. /quote]

This is a brilliant question! I hope I remember it the next time I pack. It would make it so much easier to leave things at home instead of needing to mail them home.

Thank you for sharing this post with us. I disagree with all of your comments about your own writing. I am not generally a blog reader but it made me want to read yours.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Shefollowsshells,

This is a great story. As the saying goes, "The Camino provides." Something it means losing something like your bag to teach basic principles like learning to do with less and to accept one's mistakes and move forward. I am glad you were receptive to what the Camino was teaching you.

You are SO Lucky! Had a backpack stolen in Ecuador and just lived without it. Met an interesting young German woman in the Amazon Basin of Ecuador last May who first had her camera stolen, then her laptop, then her entire backpack. ! She just looked on it as an adventure. She was working at a fishing lodge teaching English to Bolivian employees and saving her money to backpack to Ethiopia. Offered her $50 US to help out and she refused it, but did take a jar of Peanut butter.

This is such a great read. Thank you for sharing with us. Many wonderful things happen on the Camino, many sad as well.

Most importantly, we meet the most beautiful people.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Just read from your missing backpack entry through to the end of your blog.
Then went back to the beginning of your camino and read through to the backpack episode.
Great descriptions.
Wonderful people.
Great read.
Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back