A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Solar powered bottled water station

2020 Camino Guides

MickMac

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Brilliant idea for camino in my home village in Dublin.
IMG_yxwmfv.jpg

Attachments

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Public water supplies are always a good idea. I'm a bit puzzled about the "solar powered" part though. Doesn't it come out of the pipes under some sort of pressure anyway? Or does the Dublin water supply need active pumping?

MickMac

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Don't know details yet, believe it or not, bejaysus and begorragh, our mains water is pressurised, blessings of God on it, . Maybe its for extra flltering or refrigeration or ionisation (another big word just for the fun of it) but its a brilliant idea for all walkers or joggers.
IMG_20191018_091912.jpg

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
:cool: Good to know that Dublin is thoroughly part of the 21st century. Unlike places nearer home to me which seem to be heading backwards very fast....
A PS: a song about the fairly recent obsession with fancy overpriced water in bottles. The more public taps the better. Even just the ordinary boring sort!

Last edited:

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
Am I missing something, or is solar powered anything an oxymoron in Ireland? I mean, it's not like they have sunshine everyday.

My thought is that the solar power is for lighting at night, or perhaps for added filtration. But, I could be wrong...

Madidi

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP - Santiago de Compostela - Fisterra Aug/Sept 2012; SdC - Fisterra - Muxia Sept 2013.
Camino Ingles May 2014. Camino Madrid (Madrid - Sahagun) May 2015. SdC -Fisterra-Muxia and back to SdC Oct 2015. Camino de San Salvador and Camino Primitivo Aug-Sept 2016
Am I missing something, or is solar powered anything an oxymoron in Ireland? I mean, it's not like they have sunshine everyday.

Solar panels produce electricity from the photons present in natural daylight, rather than from the sunlight itself, so panels don't actually need to be installed in direct sunlight to work. And yeah, we do have daylight in Ireland too :cool:

sunwanderer

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago
Sep/Oct 2015
Solar panel efficiency in sunlight ≈ 20% (only 20% of the light falling on the panel is converted to electricity).

Solar panel efficiency under clouds ≈ 20% of efficiency in sunlight 4%.

Not a very efficient use of the money used to buy a solar panel for this purpose.

Last edited:
Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Bigpants Miscellaneous Topics 1

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 172 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 278 24.4%