• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water Sources. Fonts, accommodation taps, bottled water

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
We often get questions from those planning their first Camino about water sources and water quality.

And after my most recent Camino, it got me thinking. And others might want to share their thoughts, experiences and logic.
Let's not get side tracked on how much water to carry.......
That's a whole other discussion that has taken place a few times recently!

By the way, I carry single use water bottles and use them for the whole journey, as they are very light.
My 2 x 1 litre bottles recently used, lasted me all 60 days without any problems.
I would fill these from taps in my accommodation.
(Between 1-2 litres depending on distance, terrain, weather etc.)

My 3 times on the CF was never a problem. I would fill up from accommodation taps and outside 'fonts', as long as they were not marked as non potable. Pat always preferred the taste of the font water! And there always seemed to be plenty of fonts.

My last Camino was a bit different though. VdlP and Invierno. As there were hardly any water fonts. (or shops to buy water) So it became the norm to carry enough water for the day. I only bought bottled water a couple of times, when I needed to carry more than 2 litres.

There may have been a couple of water fonts on the VdlP, I don't really recall. I saw a few on the Invierno, but none were marked as potable. Yes, I was looking for potable signs, rather than the absence of non-potable signs this time. Was I being over cautious? Though, by that time I was used to carrying a days supply of water anyway.

So for those who might be pondering these questions.......

I'm sure there are a few Pilgrims out there who solely rely on bottled water. Is that for specific health issues I wonder?

Have you had bad experiences with tap/font water?

What's your approach to water replenishment? I'm sure its largely route dependent......

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are worried about water quality you can take sterilising tabs. The ones that take longer to be effective have little or no aftertaste, bearing in mind tap water is treated anyway and bottled water is usually untreated. Another possibility is to take a plastic roll up bladder for when you need to carry an extra litre or so. If you walk a less popular camino then you will find fewer places to fill up so you do need extra carrying capacity.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are worried about water quality you can take sterilising tabs. The ones that take longer to be effective have little or no aftertaste, bearing in mind tap water is treated anyway and bottled water is usually untreated. Another possibility is to take a plastic roll up bladder for when you need to carry an extra litre or so. If you walk a less popular camino then you will find fewer places to fill up so you do need extra carrying capacity.

True. I always carry a couple of tablets with me just in case.

There weren’t a lot of fonts on the Portuguese Central like there were on the Frances and when I did the CP I ended up filling up via the tap but mostly just bought new water bottles.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The sterilising tabs are also helpful for bottle hygiene. If you have a water bottle that can't be cleaned with really hot water from time to time, the tabs are helpful, too.

I sometimes carry single use water bottles and re-use them as long as they last (more sturdy ones like the Perrier bottles are my favourites). Sometimes I bring a stainless steel one, which is heavier but easier to clean.

Last year I had the metal one as my main bottle, plus as many plastic ones as needed.

When there are not many or no water sources I am sure of, I carry as much water as needed plus a bit extra.

One particular day in France last year, I had one day where I didn't pass a water source for 25+km, in 38°C or so (thanks to french hiking paths that lead you away from any village you might pass, they were all at least 1-2 kms one way off the chemin!). I had my 500ml steel bottle, plus two 1,5l single use water bottles, plus a 200ml pack of vegetable soup (electrolytes!), plus one small can of beer (for morale!). I used up all of that and still managed to almost pass out at one point.

With regard to water, for me it's "better be safe than sorry".

It was more because my tall bottle didn’t fit under the tap.

If you carry a lightweight cup also, it helps to fill the bottle on such taps. A paper cup or cut-off smaller plastic water bottle does the same and weighs almost nothing :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you are looking for water taps, water sources anywhere on a Camino you can use the OSM / OCM map (link) which has them marked. You'll have to zoom in as they only show close up but here is an example of the five water fountains at Carrion de los Condes. Water is usually OK

Attachments

• Carrion de los Condes.jpg
    Carrion de los Condes.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 19
If you are looking for water taps, water sources anywhere on a Camino you can use the OSM / OCM map (link) which has them marked. You'll have to zoom in as they only show close up but here is an example of the five water fountains at Carrion de los Condes. Water is usually OK

Good idea to use mapping apps.
I used maps.me extensively on my last trip and downloaded tracks from Gronze for each day.

Though I tried looking for water sources on my last day Fisterra to Muxia, as it was hot and I wanted to have a bit extra just in case. Both water sources I found marked on the map (fonts)........were dry.

I tend not to rely totally on this type of water source. Even if shown on Camino apps. In many cases I have found them dry. I treat them as a 'bonus'.

Less of an issue on a route like the CF of course.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've often asked if a bar would top up my water bottle. They have always obliged, with a smile. Only when I've bought something there of course.

That's a good idea! Get a coffee, pay with a nice tip, then ask for water - always worked for me, so far, except once in Germany (had to buy a very expensive bottle - but that was in a very touristic area, and it was at least ice cold, so it was totally okay for me).

If there were no bars, no shops, no fountains, not even something that would have worked in combination with a chlorine tablet, I've also knocked on local people's doors (farm houses ect) and asked for water a few times (on lesser walked routes with little infrastructure). Always offered a Euro, nobody ever took it. Sometimes I got an apple, some cookies ect. with the water, and always a smile and a "bon chemin" or similar. In France I was often offered water by locals who saw me walk by, without even having to ask.

The most touching experience was someone who stopped next to me with a bike that was loaded with his weekly supplies from the supermarket. He said "when I was on my way to the supermarket I saw you walk by and thought you might need a cold drink. So I bought one extra and got back this way hoping I'd still find you". That was on a 35+km day in extreme heat, and when he found me I was sitting in a ditch in a tiny bit of shade, considering returning to the last Village because I was so tired. I almost cried when he gave me the ice cold bottle.

When it comes to something basic as water, most people will show great hospitality, especially when the temperatures are high. Basic humanity, I guess. Always made me happy to experience it, though I prefer not to rely on it.

Last edited:
It was more because my tall bottle didn’t fit under the tap.
A small,stubby hardy bottle is in the Nalgene series. Free for BPA and BSP & phalates. 0.5 liter

1687153293122.png
I have one of these in my one side pocket of my Osprey Kestrel. will take hot water and will go under a low tap. to be had as wide mouth or narrow mouth.

in the other pocket I have a stainless steel 0,5 l flask in a thermo sleeve. used for juice or for the possibility to be heated over a fire for hot coffee/tea, but that is just the boy scout in me...

For 30 - 40 km days on the VdlP, I used an inside Osprey bladder for 2,5 lts, but those days were few and far between, but then and there I needed this solution, many find it cumbersome and it is...

Last edited:
When it comes to something basic as water, most people will show great hospitality, especially when the temperatures are high. Basic humanity, I guess. Always made me happy to experience it, though I prefer not to rely on it.

On the Invierno recently, I had an old guy insist that I sit with him whilst we ate fresh cherries we were picking off his trees. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I always start the day with 2 litres of water inside my pack, where it stays cool for quite a while.

I have never carried purifier tablets. I have only ever run out of water once - in England between Canterbury and Dover. I have only encountered contaminated water once - in a cemetery in France.

The best water I have ever had came out of a spout in a rock wall in Spain.

I reused a plastic water bottle, until I noticed the black mould in the crevices. A metal water bottle has another advantage in cold weather. You can boil up some water and fill the bottle the night before. The water is sterilised of course. You then wrap a sock around it and put it in your sleeping bag so it acts as a hot water bottle and if the socks were damp, they´ll be dry in the morning, and you can drink the water next day.

I think the tap water in Spain tastes lovely. So much better than water purchased in plastic bottles. At least in my experience. We fill our bottles from the tap in the hotel bathroom and have never had any problems.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I reused a plastic water bottle, until I noticed the black mould in the crevices. A metal water bottle has another advantage in cold weather. You can boil up some water and fill the bottle the night before. The water is sterilised of course. You then wrap a sock around it and put it in your sleeping bag so it acts as a hot water bottle and if the socks were damp, they´ll be dry in the morning, and you can drink the water next day.

Yes, that can happen!
I rinse mine each time before filling and about once/week give them a wash with detergent.

That's a good idea! Get a coffee, pay with a nice tip, then ask for water - always worked for me, so far, except once in Germany (had to buy a very expensive bottle - but that was in a very touristic area, and it was at least ice cold, so it was totally okay for me).

If there were no bars, no shops, no fountains, not even something that would have worked in combination with a chlorine tablet, I've also knocked on local people's doors (farm houses ect) and asked for water a few times (on lesser walked routes with little infrastructure). Always offered a Euro, nobody ever took it. Sometimes I got an apple, some cookies ect. with the water, and always a smile and a "bon chemin" or similar. In France I was often offered water by locals who saw me walk by, without even having to ask.

The most touching experience was someone who stopped next to me with a bike that was loaded with his weekly supplies from the supermarket. He said "when I was on my way to the supermarket I saw you walk by and thought you might need a cold drink. So I bought one extra and got back this way hoping I'd still find you". That was on a 35+km day in extreme heat, and when he found me I was sitting in a ditch in a tiny bit of shade, considering returning to the last Village because I was so tired. I almost cried when he gave me the ice cold bottle.

Hi! I notice you say you walked in Germany, which caught my eye as I am planning in late July to walk some part of the Jakobsweg through Rottenburg (not sure which route I'll take, either via Neresheim or Rothenburg, or southwest from Rottenburg) and wonder if you have any experience at all in that area, or advice about basics like Unterkunft, or finding water. I do have the guidebook Neresheim-Rottenburg from the Jakobswege website but I'm in the US and it's in Germany right now (I leave on 27.06 to go there). You sound so experienced, and I'm a first-timer, so I wanted to reach out.
Yes, we always can rely on the generosity and kindness of strangers!
Thank you<
Nekai

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi! I notice you say you walked in Germany, which caught my eye as I am planning in late July to walk some part of the Jakobsweg through Rottenburg (not sure which route I'll take, either via Neresheim or Rothenburg, or southwest from Rottenburg) and wonder if you have any experience at all in that area, or advice about basics like Unterkunft, or finding water. I do have the guidebook Neresheim-Rottenburg from the Jakobswege website but I'm in the US and it's in Germany right now (I leave on 27.06 to go there). You sound so experienced, and I'm a first-timer, so I wanted to reach out.
Yes, we always can rely on the generosity and kindness of strangers!
Thank you<
Nekai

Hello Nekai!

Sadly I'm not familiar with that area of Germany and haven't walked there, so I can't give any advice about that route. There are so many Jakobswege in Germany, probably won't be able to walk them all in a lifetime!

What I can say is that you chose a good time for walking, as weather is usually good that time of the year, so I hope you'll have a good time! You must be so excited!

On the routes I walked in Germany, normally you filled up your water at your "Unterkunft". There are often no fountains with drinking water easily available on the way. You can ask in bars and restaurants along the way if there are any (some will only sell you a bottle but most will fill up your bottle from the tap If you ask nicely and maybe buy a coffee). Sometimes there are shops/supermarkets. It depends on how rural and/or how touristic the area is. Sundays most shops are closed in all of Germany, except bakeries, Cafés/restaurants ect. and gas stations (which are a good source for coffee and cold drinks, too, when there's no other shops or bars to be found).

Tap water has very high quality in Germany and is safe to drink. So if someone (local, shop, bar) offers to fill up your waterbottlle with tapwater, it's totally okay to drink!

For Unterkunft you should normally call one or two days before, since on some paths there isn't that much accommodation available, and if there is, it's often a touristic area and you'll compete for rooms with tourists. For pilgrim accommodation it is also polite to call in advance, since there are only few pilgrims walking and when you call they'll know to prepare.

Hotels are often expensive. "Pension" "Gästezimmer" ect. are cheaper and more simple options. Campsites sometimes offer little pods or huts to rent which can also be a nice accommodation.

If you can't find accommodation, ask locals for the Phone number of the priest ("Pfarrer"), sometimes you can get a spot in a building that belongs to the church.

If you need help translating anything (websites with info for your route ect.) you can contact me via personal message.

I don't know If you speak german, but most germans speak english, so language shouldn't be a problem.

There's a German Camino Forum, too, maybe that can be helpful also, it's called "Daspilgerforum".

There are many sources of good water on Camino Francés. (Also several places where a faucet is clearly labeled with a non-potable warning.)

Because I frequently walk in places where this is not the case, I carry a filter. There are many different brands of such; mine is from https://thegrayl.com which even filters out viruses. On a twelve-kilometer walk from Los Arcos to Arróniz, I refilled it three times from ditches with no ill effect. (And the next day, I learned that the guy who said there was no bus had been wrong!)

On the Camino Frances I carry 1/2 litre plastic bottle of water (except from Carrion de los Condes; 1 litre) which I fill up at fountains, bars, and places where I stay. I should say that I stop during the day for a beer or 3, as I have read a medical advice (from my Internet doctor) that beer is a much better cleansing remedy for kidneys than water, in addition to adding some good vitamins, and I like to take care of my body as best I can.

Other Caminos may require more water due to less frequent bars, so I check my guide each evening, preparing for my next day.

Edit: If the water of a public fountain is not drinkable, it will be marked "No potable". Tap water is fine in all of Spain, although not as sweet and cold as in Arctic Norway where I live, but I can live with that: It is water.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Nekai!

Sadly I'm not familiar with that area of Germany and haven't walked there, so I can't give any advice about that route. There are so many Jakobswege in Germany, probably won't be able to walk them all in a lifetime!

What I can say is that you chose a good time for walking, as weather is usually good that time of the year, so I hope you'll have a good time! You must be so excited!

On the routes I walked in Germany, normally you filled up your water at your "Unterkunft". There are often no fountains with drinking water easily available on the way. You can ask in bars and restaurants along the way if there are any (some will only sell you a bottle but most will fill up your bottle from the tap If you ask nicely and maybe buy a coffee). Sometimes there are shops/supermarkets. It depends on how rural and/or how touristic the area is. Sundays most shops are closed in all of Germany, except bakeries, Cafés/restaurants ect. and gas stations (which are a good source for coffee and cold drinks, too, when there's no other shops or bars to be found).

Tap water has very high quality in Germany and is safe to drink. So if someone (local, shop, bar) offers to fill up your waterbottlle with tapwater, it's totally okay to drink!

For Unterkunft you should normally call one or two days before, since on some paths there isn't that much accommodation available, and if there is, it's often a touristic area and you'll compete for rooms with tourists. For pilgrim accommodation it is also polite to call in advance, since there are only few pilgrims walking and when you call they'll know to prepare.

Hotels are often expensive. "Pension" "Gästezimmer" ect. are cheaper and more simple options. Campsites sometimes offer little pods or huts to rent which can also be a nice accommodation.

If you can't find accommodation, ask locals for the Phone number of the priest ("Pfarrer"), sometimes you can get a spot in a building that belongs to the church.

If you need help translating anything (websites with info for your route ect.) you can contact me via personal message.

I don't know If you speak german, but most germans speak english, so language shouldn't be a problem.

There's a German Camino Forum, too, maybe that can be helpful also, it's called "Daspilgerforum".
Thank you! Excellent advice. Yes, I'm fluent in German which is why I couldn't think of the English for "Unterkunft" lol.
I belong to the Jakobswege in Deutschland FB group but the area I plan to walk in is not popular, it turns out. Didn't know about calling the local priest - great idea - and I know, esp. in that area, lots of things are closed on weekends, esp. Sundays. I'll be staying with a German friend when I'm not walking so In a pinch, I'll have her support too, but it's always good to talk with people who have actual experience.
Thank you! and I love that you mention in your post the beautiful moments that happen unexpectedly when we need something and our need is heard and met. This is the magic of Life in all arenas but seems to happen most when we are in that undefinable space created by being in Camino, wherever and whenever we are.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.