• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo female walking first Camino in October/Nove 2016

KerryH

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk October 2016
Hi All,

I am planning my very first Camino walk in Oct/Nov 2016. I am a little not sure about walking alone at this shoulder season as a solo female. I wonder if it would be better if I walk it in May/June next year when there are more pilgrims around? Will appreciate your experience/stories. Thank you.

Kerry

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you'll enjoy yourself more knowing you can walk with others, a season with more walkers is preferable. Only you know your level of comfort/anxiety, but the Camino presents enough challenges so why not eliminate those you can?

As for safety, some wise women summed it up: sure it's safe... until something happens.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Search October in the search box and you'll see many positive comments about walking then. I (68-year-solo-female) have walked 3 times in Oct-Nov, and I think it is a great time to walk; perhaps the best for the Camino Frances. This year I have conflicts in the fall, and I want to do the VdlP, so I'm switching to the spring.

You should go prepared for all types of weather from hot and sunny to cold, windy, rainy or even snow. That means a sleeping bag, several thin layers rather than any thick ones, good rain gear, hat or buff, and light gloves. Still, my pack weighed only 6-6.5 kg without water.

There are plenty of people walking, so you will have the opportunity to walk with or within sight of others, but you can be alone if you want. In mid to late October, I think that about 100 people stay at the albergue in Roncesvalles each night. How many people do you need? ;) I think the numbers are about perfect- enough for company if you want, and not so many that you can't get away from others.

If you are concerned about being too alone on the trail, stay at the popular albergues and get on the road at first light (8 a.m.) with everyone else. I often stayed in private accommodation, and took my lazy time in the mornings, so I was behind most other people.

In mid-October, some albergues close for the winter. There is still enough accommodation within reasonable distances, but you should be aware that some small villages might not have places open. Just look at the route ahead for the day and talk to other people about the options.

Go ahead and do it this fall! Buen camino!

I walked May / June this season and it was busy but you could always find a bed.

The weather was fantastic too. Hardly rained and was only uncomfortably hot for a couple of days.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you'll enjoy yourself more knowing you can walk with others, a season with more walkers is preferable. Only you know your level of comfort/anxiety, but the Camino presents enough challenges so why not eliminate those you can?

As for safety, some wise women summed it up: sure it's safe... until something happens.

Yes, very well said. thanks.

Kerry

Search October in the search box and you'll see many positive comments about walking then. I (68-year-solo-female) have walked 3 times in Oct-Nov, and I think it is a great time to walk; perhaps the best for the Camino Frances. This year I have conflicts in the fall, and I want to do the VdlP, so I'm switching to the spring.

You should go prepared for all types of weather from hot and sunny to cold, windy, rainy or even snow. That means a sleeping bag, several thin layers rather than any thick ones, good rain gear, hat or buff, and light gloves. Still, my pack weighed only 6-6.5 kg without water.

There are plenty of people walking, so you will have the opportunity to walk with or within sight of others, but you can be alone if you want. In mid to late October, I think that about 100 people stay at the albergue in Roncesvalles each night. How many people do you need? ;) I think the numbers are about perfect- enough for company if you want, and not so many that you can't get away from others.

If you are concerned about being too alone on the trail, stay at the popular albergues and get on the road at first light (8 a.m.) with everyone else. I often stayed in private accommodation, and took my lazy time in the mornings, so I was behind most other people.

In mid-October, some albergues close for the winter. There is still enough accommodation within reasonable distances, but you should be aware that some small villages might not have places open. Just look at the route ahead for the day and talk to other people about the options.

Go ahead and do it this fall! Buen camino!

Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it.

Kerry

I walked May / June this season and it was busy but you could always find a bed.

The weather was fantastic too. Hardly rained and was only uncomfortably hot for a couple of days.
Great! thank you. Sounds like great weather when you walked. Thanks.

Kerry

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another vote for October/November on the CF ;-) There are still enough pilgrims around, so it doesn't feel too lonely but not so many that it feels crowded. Only caveat, same albergues will be closed, for up-to-date info keep an eye on http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ closer to your walking dates. Buen Camino, SY

Hi All,

I am planning my very first Camino walk in Oct/Nov 2016. I am a little not sure about walking alone at this shoulder season as a solo female. I wonder if it would be better if I walk it in May/June next year when there are more pilgrims around? Will appreciate your experience/stories. Thank you.

Kerry

I am planning to begin walking in mid-October. Let me know if you'd like to team up.

Kerry

I walked last year in October/November and felt very comfortable. Still plenty of people around but also time and space to be alone when this was what I wanted. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi All,

Kerry
Hi
I also am walking alone starting in Pamplona October 8th. Would love to walk with someone too!

I walked the CF in Oct/Noc 2014 and loved it. Did walk a few times in downpours,
but I had good rain gear so it wasn't bad. I can only echo what others have said -
there will be enough people around if you want company, but not too many that you
can't have private time/space if you wish. As far as the alberques that are closed -
I seem to remember that the volunteers at the Roncesvalles alberque had an up-to-date
list available. Buen Camino Kerry!

Another vote for October/November on the CF ;-) There are still enough pilgrims around, so it doesn't feel too lonely but not so many that it feels crowded. Only caveat, same albergues will be closed, for up-to-date info keep an eye on http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ closer to your walking dates. Buen Camino, SY

Thanks o much for your info! I feel so much better now so many people have had good experiences walking in October/Nov!!!
Very much appreciate it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning to begin walking in mid-October. Let me know if you'd like to team up.

That's fantastic! I haven't locked down exact dates yet, but if it's OK, I will contact you via this forum when I know? I will be flying out from Brisbane Australia, but I am still trying to decide whether to land in Paris or Barcelona/Madrid.
Thanks so much.

Kerry

Kerry

I walked last year in October/November and felt very comfortable. Still plenty of people around but also time and space to be alone when this was what I wanted. Buen Camino.

Thank you!!! Very nice to know someone who had just done it last year and felt great! Very encouraging! I feel much better about doing this now.

Thank you.

Kerry

I walked the CF in Oct/Noc 2014 and loved it. Did walk a few times in downpours,
but I had good rain gear so it wasn't bad. I can only echo what others have said -
there will be enough people around if you want company, but not too many that you
can't have private time/space if you wish. As far as the alberques that are closed -
I seem to remember that the volunteers at the Roncesvalles alberque had an up-to-date
list available. Buen Camino Kerry!

Thanks so much for your encouragement! It's great to know that someone has done it around the same time of the year. I guess the weather is hard to predict, I will just have to be prepared.

Thanks again for your reply!

Kerry

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi
I also am walking alone starting in Pamplona October 8th. Would love to walk with someone too!

Hi Becky,

I will start my walk in SJPP though. I haven't locked down exact dates yet. But will let you know via this forum when I got things locked down if that's OK. We will keep an eye out for each other.

Thanks

Kerry

I meant to add, re; walking May/June. The daylight hours were very long. It never got dark until 10.30pm. Some people might prefer this.

I found the long light nights not such a good thing. It took me longer to get off to sleep. I am a night-owl and I need a good few hours of darkness before bed.

This also meant the early risers were very early, often with no respect for those sleeping in to 6am!

I also camped a bit and the long daylight hours were not condusive to camping, but that's another story.

Hi Kerry.

I'm a 27 year old Catholic female also planning on walking El Camino beginning at SJPP solely with God and all His angels and saints in late Semptember/October. I'ld be very fortunate to have someone to walk with!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked last October as a solo female and had a wonderful time. No worries about being by yourself, unless you want to be. The weather I found to be divine and it was a great time. Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked last October as a solo female and had a wonderful time. No worries about being by yourself, unless you want to be. The weather I found to be divine and it was a great time. Buen Camino!
Fantastic! Thanks for your words of encouragement! I am looking forward to it.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.