• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in October

GGildea

Time of past OR future Camino
October
Hi all, I would appreciate some advice. I am planning on walking the last 100k of the French Way starting 28th of October - 3rd of November. Is this too late in the year? Has anyone walked it at this time? Concerned about availability of accommodation and food etc. Ger

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Xunta albergues are open all year and will probably have beds available then. Many of the private places will be closed. Although many bars and restaurants are seasonal there are also ones in the main towns and villages which remain open all year round for local customers. I walked that section in January this year and had no problem in finding food and accommodation beyond Sarria. Gronze gives opening dates for albergues along the way so is useful for getting an idea of what will be available.

I walked in October and November 2016 and only encountered one town where there were no albergues open so I have to walk another 10km to the next town. Other than that I feel like it was the perfect time of year to go.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked from Astorga - Santiago in October of 2021 arriving on the 17th. The weather was beautiful and the Camino was packed with people. This was when things were opening up after Covid and almost everything was open on the Camino. In my opinion it's a great time of year for the Camino.

Last edited:
Autumn is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Although albergues on the CF started to close mid October there was always some place open. When walking in October/November I usually stayed in municipal albergues and never had a reservation until the final days in Santiago.

Check out this earlier forum thread for earlier posts with helpful info re
walking in October- November.

Happy planning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi all, I would appreciate some advice. I am planning on walking the last 100k of the French Way starting 28th of October - 3rd of November. Is this too late in the year? Has anyone walked it at this time? Concerned about availability of accommodation and food etc. Ger
Hi.
I walked CF from SJPDP last week in September and most of October and had the most wonderful weather. no rain for 5 weeks. My family came out to spend a week with me in SDC from 26th October to 2nd November. from the moment they arrived it rained almost non stop. I had no problems with food or accommodation and I have never booked ahead. Buen Camino, Vince.

never too late

rain might turn up though, prepare for that

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome,

I’ll be on the path around the same time as you… leaving SSPD 5th October.

In 2013 I did the Camino in October - early November. Most started off quite cold, but ended up being sunny and perfect for hiking further IMO. It rained about 4 days and I never had any issues with finding a room for the night, but that was 2013. Numbers have grown.

I’m looking forward to walking in Autumn again, the crowds have thinned out, making it easier to recognise other pilgrims who wander in and out of your path, and you get a few more Spaniards on the trail doing late holidays. Overall I preferred it much more than the May Camino I did in ‘18.

Did walk from Ponferrada last year at that time. No problem on beds or food. Quit a lot of people, but not crowdy. Yes we had rain, but raintrousers and a poncho kept us dry enough.

Thank you, everyone for taking the time to give the benefit of your Camino experience and for your advice - I am relieved and really excited now about booking. It will be three generations travelling my mum, myself and my 17-year-old daughter. We are planning on booking with a tour company so accommodation will be included and bag transfers. Not as an authentic experience as going and booking albergues as you go but for my mum I want to ensure that everything is organised in advance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you, everyone for taking the time to give the benefit of your Camino experience and for your advice - I am relieved and really excited now about booking. It will be three generations travelling my mum, myself and my 17-year-old daughter. We are planning on booking with a tour company so accommodation will be included and bag transfers. Not as an authentic experience as going and booking albergues as you go but for my mum I want to ensure that everything is organised in advance.
I'm using a tour company as well for booking accommodations and bag transfers. I did book SJPD, Orrison, Roncesvalles and Zuburi myself...I'll be traveling alone after spending a week in France with my husband. Hope to see you on the Way!

I'm using a tour company as well for booking accommodations and bag transfers. I did book SJPD, Orrison, Roncesvalles and Zuburi myself...I'll be traveling alone after spending a week in France with my husband. Hope to see you on the Way!
That's interesting. I would have imagined using a company for the first few, as you get your bearings, and then taking it on yourself. You seem to have done the reverse.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back