• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking in October

Time of past OR future Camino
march 2023
I am considering returning to the Camino in mid October.

Will most of the Alberques still be open or do many close?? Would there be difficulties walking in mid October (from Leon to Santiago)

Thanks for any help

Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Mike We will be walking the Frances starting from SJPP in mid October. We are anticipating there may be some albergues closed along the way but, if you are starting in Leon, I'd be surprised if you had too many problems with closures.

Best to check out Gronze - the information on accommodation usually includes the dates the albergues open and close.

All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
PS There is also a list with albergue information for the winter, i.e. from 1 November. But if starting from Leon, you will likely be in SdeC by then.

@peregrina2000 posted this comment on another thread.

The posted list http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ is still valid. This list is maintained each year from about November 1, through the winter. (The web link remains visible through the rest of the year, but there is no information on the page.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked that stretch 2 years ago in October ; a few of the albergues were starting to close but plenty were still open. Ditto the previous comments about Gronze. It’s a great time to walk, but shorter days can make it hard to hang out laundry, and the sun is rising pretty late (almost 9 am before Daylight Savings ends, Oct 29 this year).

I shall be walking from Oct. 2 to about Nov. 9 this year: the Madrid to Sahagun; the Frances to Ponferrada and the Invierno to Santiago. I walked the same route at the same time in 2019 and had no problems due to closures. The days can, however, be a bit dark and rainy. If there are fewer albergues open on the Frances, there will also be fewer pilgrims competing for them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am considering returning to the Camino in mid October.

Will most of the Alberques still be open?

I continued from Estella in mid October 2017 and had no trouble, reaching Compostela a few days before the end of the month.

I understand accommodation generally is responding to demand.

For tops, I suggest you consider merino - odour absorbing and quick drying
For sox (mine are to the knee, I wear the kilt) I suggest polyester - typically hard wearing and quick drying.

And as others have said, Gronze is a good reference.

Hi Mike We will be walking the Frances starting from SJPP in mid October. We are anticipating there may be some albergues closed along the way but, if you are starting in Leon, I'd be surprised if you had too many problems with closures.

Best to check out Gronze - the information on accommodation usually includes the dates the albergues open and close.

All the best.
Hi Pelerina!

Hoping you can help me?
My first Camino. Mid October to mid November.
Wanting to do the Camino Francés but have about 32 days. Is that do-able?

I’m 67, in very decent shape but I wouldn’t say I’m an athlete, though was a runner for years. TMI?😬

So my questions:

In mid October to mid November, boots or shoes?

Best place to start the CF given my time restrictions?

Would I regret not doing the Pyrenees because of the beauty or…?
Anything else?

Infinite thanks! I’m alternating between excitement and panic, hoping I have what I need.

I’ve been told not to plan too much, to be open. Any tips on that are welcome, too!

🙏💚💙

Hi @Wolfsoundz

Sorry I’ve only just seen your post. We are walking at the moment and I am not looking at the forum very often.

Your questions are mostly things only you can answer I think.

Boots or shoes - I’ve only ever worn shoes, so I can’t compare. Some people prefer boots though I think most would agree they are not necessary for the terrain on the Frances. So I’d wear what you are used to / most comfortable with

32 days from SJPP to SdeC is definitely do-able. Many people walk in fewer days and many people take longer. It’s difficult to know in advance how you will go. If you want to reach SdeC and are concerned you won’t have time you could start in Pamplona to ‘save’ a few days.

Sounds like you’re considering starting in SJPP. I like the town and enjoy the stages to Pamplona. Some on the forum dismiss SJPP as a starting point but many love it, me included I’ve walked the Napoleon route a few times and had both good weather and bad. If the weather is not so good, you won’t see the views anyway. Whether you will regret not crossing the Pyrenees … only you can answer that. I think that’s more of a mindset thing.

Sorry gotta go. Time to begin the day. We are on the Le Puy Way and expect to arrive in SJPP on the 13th and continue on to Spain on the 14tH. Maybe we will see you on The Way. All the best. Buen Camino. 😎

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.