• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo woman cyclist Camino Del Norte

hijadeUtah

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances 2010 and 2012
Camino primitivo 2014
Hi there! I have walked el Camino Frances twice as well as el Camino Portugues and el primitivo. I wanted to walk el Camino Del Norte this summer, but have a foot injury that is flaring up and potentially interfering with those plans. I am considering biking el norte instead of walking. I am a little worried about missing out on the social aspect of walking. Would I still meet friends if I bike? Is it fairly safe to bike alone? I’m very content with my own company, but one of my favorite parts about the Camino has been meeting so many other people. Thanks for the input!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cyclists on the Camino Frances can sometimes share the path and, the rest of the time, be close to the path on parallel roads which grew from the original, mediaeval camino routes.
The Camino del Norte has more hilly, rocky and single track sections which would require considerable skill and agility on a mountain bike (where permitted) or plenty of get-off-the bike-and-pushing. The asphalt alternatives can be some distance from the path (I have ridden a road version of the CdN, albeit in the reverse direction, and it felt very detached from the Camino).
A Camino popular with cyclists which frequently runs alongside the walkers' path would be the Via de la Plata. There is a Cicerone guide for cyclists. Would this be feasible for you?

On the Norte I was pleased to see alternate paths for bikers. The Norte is more like mountain biking. Much more rugged than the Frances. You will get the camaraderie from the albergues but obviously you will be proceeding along the path faster than the walkers so connections with them will be fleeting.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back