• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some queries for departing mid July...um...like...soon!

gypsy9

Bonjour!

I am gearing up to travel Le Puy Route July 17th. The blogs and photos look absolutely gorgeous.I am excited to walk this Way, but also a wee anxious...yes, I have those common concerns and so am seeking a little reassurance from the more seasoned Via Podiensa walkers.

Firstly, the weather. Is rain likely in July and August and thus water-proof shoes necessary?
I have some Keen hiking shoes (still in fairly ok condition from walking "Camino Frances" last September), but I am thinking perhaps some simple cross training type shoe...mesh or low back leather walking shoes..or?

Accommodation. I am on a smallish budget as I plan to walk into Spain as well. I am wondering what the standard gite d'etap charges. WIll there be plenty of bed choices this time of year do you think?
I plan to eat rather simply too (am vegetarian) and wondering what is the best strategy for buying food in France?

Also.. I have very limited French (yes, you guessed it, this walk was super spontaneous and thus little time to prepare!). I am not concerned about walking solo and not being able to communicate with every French pilgrim who crosses my path (I will wave and smile of course), BUT I am concerned about getting lost and not having a bed for the night. I have a guide book which I find to be a little confusing (Alison Raju) and this is in English!

I found the information posted about asking the Tourist Information Office to help with bookings etc to be very useful ( I choose not to carry a mobile).

I really really loved the Camino Frances as this way was not difficult to navigate accommodation wise..and most people did speak English. I met wonderful people. I think I just have pre Camino jitters. I look at the photos of the Le Puy route and my heart zings. Perhaps a few English speaking people may be on the trail.

Merci in advance and bon chemin!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe you should book, maybe it's a bit more expensive than the Frances, maybe etc etc etc...

That zing thing your heart is doing? Go with it!

Bon chemin

Rob

Figure France to be twice as expensive as Spain (More lux too). Absolutely, go to those tourist offices---they are very helpful.

And watch St Jacques Le Meque if you can..

bon chemin

newf

ps; cannot go wrong with proven Keens.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for replies...
Yeah I am now letting go of the "maybes". Just do it. Enjoy. Take risks. Walk!
Still wondering what the current standard price of a gite d'etap may be (just to get an idea of a daily budget). I assume you pay when you arrive and not when you make the booking...just wondering how many bookings are not kept too by people who phone in advance.

Not trying to bring up further disruptions to your plan but have you looked at this years route for the Tour de France? I haven't checked out the route for this year, so dont know if it would intercept you, but I would watch for the crowds of the Tour de France. It starts soon and goes through most of July. If you are unfortunate to pass within 30-50km of the race accomodation might be scarce.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Freetime said:
Not trying to bring up further disruptions to your plan but have you looked at this years route for the Tour de France? I haven't checked out the route for this year, so dont know if it would intercept you, but I would watch for the crowds of the Tour de France. It starts soon and goes through most of July. If you are unfortunate to pass within 30-50km of the race accomodation might be scarce.

For a route map of the 2012 Tour de France which begins June 30 see this official web site link--http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/fr/le_parcours.html. Like the running of the bulls in Pamplona this event brings a huge crowd of spectators plus the participants to wherever it passes.

Margaret

just wondering how many bookings are not kept too by people who phone in advance.
Pilgrims failing to cancel reservations is the number one gripe of French hosts! Those that are nice enough to take reservations expect the reciprocal courtesy of a phone call from those who won't be using the bed. The French are pretty good about canceling, so it is we "foreigners" that deserve the blame. :D

Thanks for the tip Margaret...phew...it appears the mega huge bike race will not intercede Le Puy Route at the time I plan to step out. I will check again tho. I am not fixed (at this three week point) whether to walk La Podiensa or Camino Frances. I would just have to cancel and rebook tgv trains although this is a risk too. All the advice really helps and at this stage seems a oui, oui for the latter Camino!!! 8)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Le Puy route in September of 2010 and 2011. The path surface can be very stony in places (making cobblestones look smooth) - so if you have sturdy Keens with a stout sole I would stick with those. Lodging costs at private gites with demi-pension (dinner and breakfast) will run 35 Euros average; the hotels will run closer to 50. You should acquire a copy of Miam Miam Dodo and get a good French phrasebook (ie, Collins or Rick Steves). MMD indicates which lodgings have some English-speakers on staff. The Tourist Info offices will often only make one call, or arrangements for one night. Some gite owners will help you by calling a day or two ahead, if you have the contact info for them (from MMD).

Bon Chemin!

The route from lePuy is the best of the best. Don't change your plans.

Hi, I just returned from cycling the via Podensis - it was beautifull. We made reservations for the first two nights but had to cancel (which I did telephonically) as we left a day earlier than planned. Other than that we did not make any reservations, but did sometimes call ahead by lunchtime when we knew which town were within reach just to make sure there were some beds available. The gite's were not very full in the last two weeks of June but maybe July will be busier. We found the tourist office very helpfull but never asked for too many phone calls so do not know if there is a limit.

My friend is also vegetarian (although she does eat dairy products and fish)and we bought fresh produce at the markets or otherwise the supermarkets. I get heartburn if I eat to much bread and then cycle so we took instant oats with us or otherwise bought muesli bars, fruit and yoghurt for breakfast. For lunch we often bought tinned tuna salad with bread and cheese or ready made salads at the supermarkets and dinner was either supermarket stuff or a restaurant although we had dinner at some of the gite's as well (although they do serve meat dishes as well) so it would be good to book ahead maybe a day in advance and also find out about the meals. Hospitalite St. Jacques in Estaing served a wonderfull vegetarian meal and they only ask for donations so no fixed price. I found that a truly wonderfull place to stay and think it must be very true to the spirit of the pilgrimage.

Of coarse with the bicycle you travel faster between towns and it is easier too reach the next town if needed. I got the feelings in the beginning the towns are very small. We started at 4 in the afternoon and reached St. Privat after 7 (strong winds!) so we were too late for dinner and the only restaurant in town's kitchen had already closed so our first dinner consisted of instant oats! Do keep some provisions with you.

Our french is almost non-excistent but a few phrases does help. We also had South African cycling shirts and I must say the people were very helpfull when they realized how far away from home we were. Just try to greet in French and maybe try the French word for what you want and then ask if they can speak English - they will appreciate you trying.

Have a great walk!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Some queries for departing mid/late July...um...like...soon!

Thanks myway...really encouraging to hear that the hostels are not wildly busy- and good tips for a vegie in these carnivore provinces. So looking forward to walking and meeting fellow pilgrims (and cyclists). Also good to hear of such a welcoming hostels in Estaing- yes, truly in the spirit of a pilgrimage. At this stage, I am intending to walk to Cahors or Figeac....Anyone out there leaving Le Puy 20th July?! Bon Chemin!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back