• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some questions on the Camino Finisterre

Duncan Idaho

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014, Portuguese 2015, Finisterre 2015, Norte 2017, Aragones 2018, V d Plata 2019
Hello All,
I have previously walked the Camino Frances and the Camino Portoguese but have never walked to Fisterra yet. As luck has it I have 5 days off in early November and the flights were cheap so am off to Santiago to walk to Fisterra. I fly in on a thursday afternoon then have 5 day (leaving Santiago again on the last day in the evening).

My plan is to walk 3 days, have 1 full day in Fisterra then go back to Santiago the next day via bus for my flight in the evening. My questions are to those who have completed the journey at this time of year :

1. Do I need to book albergues ? I usually don't but I assume at least some will be closed ?
2. I also assume there will be far fewer pilgrims walking this time of year though which might reduce demand?
3. Does any one know of an albergue between Negreira and Vilaserio ?
4. The bus back . My flight is 7.00pm in the evening which means I need the 8.20 or 11.45am bus. I see from the website that you cannot buy the bus ticket online - must I buy it on the day on the bus or can I buy it in Fisterra the day before ?

If anyone can help much appreciated,
Duncan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can buy the bus ticket on the bus but there is also a tourist booking agency across the road that sells them too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Donna and thank you Al!
I will buy the evening I arrive in SdC if it is still possible, otherwise first thing the next morning.
Can't wait to get there tbh even though it is only a short trip this time.

Duncan

No need to worry about too many people or accommodation.
Bring your wet gear as its only 100km.
You actually might get there in 3 days if the temp. is low and no rain.
No problems with the bus tickets but if the queue is not long buy the ticket when you arrive in SDC.
Buen Camino Duncan ,
David

Thanks David - I will definitely be walking it in days, I want the full 4th day to relax in fisterra. Fingers crossed for the rain.

Has anyone stayed in the Albergue O Rueiro recently in Vilaserio ? I tried emailing a couple of times and no response. Even emailed the tourist office in Fisterra who phoned them on my behalf and they got no reply. Am assuming they are closed now ?

Duncan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks David - I will definitely be walking it in days, I want the full 4th day to relax in fisterra. Fingers crossed for the rain.

Has anyone stayed in the Albergue O Rueiro recently in Vilaserio ? I tried emailing a couple of times and no response. Even emailed the tourist office in Fisterra who phoned them on my behalf and they got no reply. Am assuming they are closed now ?

Duncan
Eroski has that it is opened until Oct 31st:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-o-rueiro

There are different telephone numbers on Eroski and Mundicamino. Try them all or send e-mail:

Albergue O Rueiro
Municipio: Vilaserío - (A Coruña)
Categoría: Privado
Contacto: Teléfono reservas 981893570----659568139
Email: contacto@restaurantealbergueorueiro.com

Ultreia!

Well, just had a reply from the Albergue O Rueiro in Vilaserio - looks like you are right. They close in November I assume for the winter. Could have sworn I saw on another webiste that they were opne all year round. Looks like Negreira for day 1 and a long day for day 2.

Duncan

Well, just had a reply from the Albergue O Rueiro in Vilaserio - looks like you are right. They close in November I assume for the winter. Could have sworn I saw on another webiste that they were opne all year round. Looks like Negreira for day 1 and a long day for day 2.

Duncan
No need for that. You have donativo municipal albergue in Vilaserio opened whole year round:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-municipal-de-vilaserio
(pick up the key at the house across the road with blue facade) But it is a long stage in my opinion because my Endomondo GPS track records 24,4kms to Negreira and another 16kms to Vilaserio.

The other option is to stay at Negreira and walk next day to the first albergue in Ponte Oliveira:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-ponte-olveira
(12€, opened all year) which is 36,2kms by my GPS.

From Ponte Oliveira (Olveiroa is some 3kms further on) you have approx.38kms to Cabo Fisterra.

So you have two options if you have only 3 days to commence this:
1.) shorter first day:
- Santiago - Negreira = 24,4kms
- Negreira - Ponte Oliveira = 36,2kms
- Ponte Oliveira - Cabo Fisterra = 38kms

2.) harder first day:
- Santiago - Vilaserio = 40,4kms
- Vilaserio - Hospital = 28,8kms (in Hospital is new private albergue opened this summer, run by the woman and her son which are also running a restaurant some 200mts further up the road from Hospital in direction of Fisterra/Muxia. Eroski already has it but without details. If you opt for this combination of stages I suggest that you just walk straight to this restaurant (I can post the photo of it from this year if you need it?) and the lady will drive you back to the alberguei in the village. I don't know the price, but if I remember correctly it was 12€???
- Hospital - Cabo Fisterra = approx.30kms.

Hope that helps! Ultreia!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Duncan

I stayed there October 10th and they were full that night.

Mike

Most read last week in this forum

I thought I had saved this, but can’t find it. Where is a place to stay in Muxia to relax and reflect on the Camino journey?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back