• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Something amazing happened to me this morning!

cbarua

It's my birthday today, and I wandered into a lovely new bookstore, thinking about el Camino and wondering if I might find a book about it in such a small shop. I wandered into the crescent moon-shaped shop and followed the headings along the crescent looking for Travel or Spain..anything....then I spotted a beautiful book without a title and I said to the woman at the counter, "What a beautiful cover! I just love books, your sooo lucky to work here!" She said, "Yes, but it's expensive." I asked "Why?" "Because it is so tempting to buy a book" she said, pointing to newly arrived books on the counter. I then asked hesitatingly, "Have you seen any books on the Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela?" just as she was picking up one of the new books. My eyes followed her hand, with my normal curiosity to see what the new book in her hand was, and although it was upside down, I saw the letter P and followed it through the curly writing of the title and thought I saw the word Pilgrim. I asked, "Does that say pilgrim?" She turned it over and I could not believe my eyes! She was holding a book titled: What the Psychic told the PILGRIM...with the word 'pilgrim' in the title.

My thinking went... ooh, psychic, (slightly disappointed) but then I read the smaller print at the top A Midlife Misadventure on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela . My whole body shivered, at the amazing timing and coincidence. So, of course I bought the book. It's by Jane Christmas (Canadian) just new, 2007.

As I feel I have already started mi Camino, even though I am not in Spain til April 2008, for me it is a wonderful affirmation that I have made the best decision I have ever made. By the way, before it occurred for me to go to Santiago, early this year, I bought myself a mini calendar . I loved it because it was titled "A Journey" and each little picture is a photo or painting of a path. I loved M Scott Peck's book, "The Road Less Traveled" and that it is why I bought the calendar.

Clarisa (en Camino)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Happy birthday! it was my birthday as well (10/9) and for once I had a great birthday. This is the first time I have said out loud my private thoughts about travelling the el camino. It came as a surprise to the people I work with and now I am sorry I said anything. I got the impression they are "naysayers". From now on it is my goal to get ready both mentally and physically for September 2008. I hope to be travelling on my 55th birthday. I would love to read some books, so send any recommendations that you may have.

Oh, Clarisa, what a wonderful story. I love these synchronous events. They definitely do help affirm that what you are doing is not just right but it has a purpose. Happy birthday and wonderful travels.
Lillian

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Mary, Happy birthday to you tooooooo. :D Since you are in Australia, a friend of mine gave me another book for my birthday... "Walk off Weight" by Andrew Gate ( a health, fitness and nutrition consultant who runs his own training studio), heard regularly on Tony Delroy's Nightlife Program on ABC Local Radio ? I guess it is in Sydney, because he works in Sydney... so look out for it, if like me you haven't been fit for a while....just what I need to help me get fit for the journey, he talks about how to buy the right shoes for walking, etc. and the book is well written. And from what Jane Christmas says, in the wonderful book I bought yesterday, I am going to need to do a lot of work before April, that's why I say I am already on my camino. By the way, her book is excellent, very well written and a really interesting read. Take care and keep in touch.

Hi Lillian, Thanks for you lovely note. I am so happy at the moment... I have had some very difficult years and for the first time I am doing something really special that I think will have made all the sorrow I have had worthwhile. Yesterday was a wonderful day for me. I haven't had such a lovely birthday for a long time and I didn't even have a cake! ..... but my TESOL class found out about my birthday and they gave me a QANTAS travel bag! and so many hugs. So sweet... I had to tell them my story about the book too. :) My students give me great joy and have filled my days in the last year! and I know that my Camino will fill my 56th year.

A belated 'Happy Birthday' to all those on 10th Sept - it's also my daughter's birthday.
I'm a bit mixed up on who said what (and how many birthdays!) because I'm not very good at this stuff. But I think it was Clarissa who referred to some painful/difficult years. I can identify to some extent having had several difficult years before pilgrimage in 1996, and in 1997 met an Austrian pilgrim who had nursed her husband, who had had cancer for 15 years before he died.
I think the pilgrimage can be a wonderfully healing/sharing experience. Sounds as though important people have supported at the right time. It gives lots of space spiritually, but also the shear experience of being out in the open air, under the skies (or clouds!), exposed to whatever nature throws at you for weeks on end, getting shelter at night and mucking in with whoever is around, is part of that experience.
So, whether you're going this year or next, enjoy the experience.
Buen Camino to all,
Brendan

I

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi to Mary ( whose been on this bit of the 'Forum'),
I meant to mention something to you on the last bit I wrote but got mixed up. So this is a ps for you. So, re the 'naysayers', I think you obviously wont' pay too much attention to them, but don't be hurt by them, there are many people who just haven't had the chances/experiences that we have been given.
In 2005 my nephew related what I was doing to some of his friends and their response was, ' Has he not heard of Easyjet?'
So just think that you have planted a seed - what happens to it is not down to you, but you may see the fruits in the future, if not......

Buen Camino,
Brendan

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back