• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish language flashcards online

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
I searched for similar threads but there don't seem to be any, so here goes--I hope it's not a duplication.

So I just found out about a free flashcard program for studying almost any language--or many other things for that matter. You can download flashcards to an android phone or PC, then use the associated program to learn/review vocabulary. It's lots of fun--and very useful.....

I'm using it to study Burmese, and then I got the bright idea to look for Spanish flashcards to add to my deck and there are tons of possibilities, in multiple languages. Some flashcards have audio files so you can hear as well as read. It's intuitive and the teacher that shared it with me said the protocols are great--it tracks your progress and knows what words you know already and the ones you need to see more.

It is called Anki (or Ankidroid on Google Play):
The site where you download the necessary software:
http://ankisrs.net/
And the list of possible spanish decks:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/spanish

And once you download the program and import word files, it is stand-alone and doesn't need an internet connection. So even on your next long plane journey to the Camino, you can 'cram' for the coming exam!

If anyone has used this, are there any particular decks you found particularly useful or camino-specific?
(I downloaded one deck that said JWalker-Spanish Deck...JohnnieWalker, that wouldn't be yours, would it?)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I searched for similar threads but there don't seem to be any, so here goes--I hope it's not a duplication.

So I just found out about a free flashcard program for studying almost any language--or many other things for that matter. You can download flashcards to an android phone or PC, then use the associated program to learn/review vocabulary. It's lots of fun--and very useful.....

I'm using it to study Burmese, and then I got the bright idea to look for Spanish flashcards to add to my deck and there are tons of possibilities, in multiple languages. Some flashcards have audio files so you can hear as well as read. It's intuitive and the teacher that shared it with me said the protocols are great--it tracks your progress and knows what words you know already and the ones you need to see more.

It is called Anki (or Ankidroid on Google Play):
The site where you download the necessary software:
http://ankisrs.net/
And the list of possible spanish decks:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/spanish

And once you download the program and import word files, it is stand-alone and doesn't need an internet connection. So even on your next long plane journey to the Camino, you can 'cram' for the coming exam!

If anyone has used this, are there any particular decks you found particularly useful or camino-specific?
(I downloaded one deck that said JWalker-Spanish Deck...JohnnieWalker, that wouldn't be yours, would it?)
Viranani after I took a very basic Spanish class at one of our local schools, I went on line to Duo Lingo. It's quite simplistic and offers short 'tests' after you have done a section. They also use the flash cards.
When I arrived in Spain, I realized I had learned more than I thought…I could not carry on a steady conversation, but what I did learn was so helpful and made me feel a bit more connected to the locals….I was also able to download their app on my Nexus phone once I started travelling….now I'm back home and back at it. It's a beautiful language.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Al, I'm not familiar with stride - a foot speaking? A passing acquaintance with Strine. I went to The British School in my formative years, so am capable of a reasonable facsimile of the Queens's English.

Off topic. We are referring to that beautiful language, Spanish. I like Duolingo. It's fun.

The neat thing about this is that you download stacks of cards from whatever subject you want and access them in one place.
So, for example, I can study Spanish or Burmese as the spirit moves me--without having to open a separate app.

Just going to check out Duolingo now. The more tools the better. My Burmese is getting there but my Spanish sucks.
And the sad thing is that in Spain what happens when I want to say something in Spanish is that often Burmese comes out instead.
That's a big help. I get look like this: o_O
Well... you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, but it just takes longer.
Surely he spoke stride to big G Kanga?
Surely big G is multilingual? So Kanga could speak Strine in her converstions with her, if she wanted to.:)

And the sad thing is that in Spain what happens when I want to say something in Spanish is that often Burmese comes out instead.

I know exactly what you mean! My brain says "other language". I open my mouth and out comes either Polish or a new language which I call Spolish. In fact I seem to know more Polish when I am in Spain than here in Poland.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In fact I seem to know more Polish when I am in Spain than here in Poland.
It is very reassuring that I am not the only person this happens to. I can't remember simple words here when I need them...but in Spain... (Only half joking--I think the latent vocabulary thing has something to do with being more relaxed. I'm not needing coherence under pressure, as I can sometimes be here.)

And you have Spolish...lets see...I must have Spamese.
Oh dear.

Viranani after I took a very basic Spanish class at one of our local schools, I went on line to Duo Lingo. It's quite simplistic and offers short 'tests' after you have done a section. They also use the flash cards.
When I arrived in Spain, I realized I had learned more than I thought…I could not carry on a steady conversation, but what I did learn was so helpful and made me feel a bit more connected to the locals….I was also able to download their app on my Nexus phone once I started travelling….now I'm back home and back at it. It's a beautiful language.

It is indeed a beautiful language, a poet's language for me as I've discovered Spanish poetry. Second your experience with DuoLingo, it's a great app and helped me learn the language basics. It has a very useful revision function as well.

It is indeed a beautiful language, a poet's language for me as I've discovered Spanish poetry. Second your experience with DuoLingo, it's a great app and helped me learn the language basics. It has a very useful revision function as well.
Oh, yes...to be able to read Pablo Neruda in the original--and to be able to 'get' the nuances of his language--this would be would be such a joy! A very long way off for me, I'm afraid--I'm still stuck with 'Spamese!' Though I have to say with some surprise the first few lessons on Duolingo are easy peasy....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I regret not reading Iberia earlier, however, it is never to late to read this marvelous tome, published in 1968. I just finished reading it, two years after beginning my Camino Frances. In Iberia...
Look at this! My daily walking route in my neighborhood has a recently inaugurated Cruceiro flown over from Spain! Like it’s sister Cruceiro it was sculpted from a single block of granite the new...
The Pilgrim Garden is an outdoor restorative place for pilgrims to restore, reflect, journal, pray, or simply enjoy nature. Installation May 11, 2024 along Camino Frances in Os Chacotes Park...
Laberinto del Camino is new labyrinth peace/prayer path built for pilgrims located in Os Chacotes Park, Palas de Rei along Camino Frances. Installed May 2022. This labyrinth invites all pilgrims...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.