• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Speaking Spanish in Spain

Deacon Jason

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Caminho Português (2023?)
A question especially for any Spanish pilgrim brethren on the forum (and, of course, any others who are knowledgeable):

I speak intermediate level Mexican Spanish...aside from those differences I've already discovered (tortillas aren't bread, sandwiches are bocadillos not tortas) are there any other major differences that will get me unexpected results?

Ultreya,

-Jason

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Spain has 4 official languages and several official dialects.

Your Mexican Spanish is actually called Castellano.

Castellano was made the lingua franca for Spain. Everyone speaks it ... albeit sometimes as a second language ... its mandatory in school.

Euskara is an official language and is spoken in Navarra and Pais Vasco. Its why every village has two names (and more). See Euskotren website for examples.

Galician is an official language and is spoken in Galicia. The signs are Galician.

And Castellano in Spain is to Castellano in Mexico as English in Australia is to English in USA. There are a LOT of colloquialisms used in Spain and in Mexico that will get you into trouble in the other.

One major difference is Mexico does not usually use the Vosotros form ... neither is it used in Spain when the tu form is more freindly ... but it is used.

One major difference is Mexico does not usually use the Vosotros form ... neither is it used in Spain when the tu form is more freindly ... but it is used.

I wondered how widespread the use of the vosotros form was. I can understand it if a hear it, but I can't use it very well myself...in school we were told to leave that box in the verb conjugations blank since it 'really didn't matter'. I know it still commonly shows up in Spanish church books/documents, but I wasn't clear on how much it was actually used in conversation.

The other question is tu vs. Usted. In Mexico (and here in California), formal greetings with Usted are the norm in polite conversation (whether polite conversation is the norm is a whole other question!). I had heard that this was not so common in Spain. I don't want to come across as over-formal (e.g. snotty).

I wondered how widespread the use of the vosotros form was. I can understand it if a hear it, but I can't use it very well myself...in school we were told to leave that box in the verb conjugations blank since it 'really didn't matter'. I know it still commonly shows up in Spanish church books/documents, but I wasn't clear on how much it was actually used in conversation.

The other question is tu vs. Usted. In Mexico (and here in California), formal greetings with Usted are the norm in polite conversation (whether polite conversation is the norm is a whole other question!). I had heard that this was not so common in Spain. I don't want to come across as over-formal (e.g. snotty).

I use the form 'tu' even if I probably should use 'usted'. The issue is being understood ... and people do understand about being overly formal if you aren't exactly fluent.

I was in Guanajuato taking Spanish lessons. I had been told that very day that 'Vosotros' was not used in Mexico. The front page article in the newspaper that day used 'vosotros' throughout.

I later bought a copy of 'The Hobbit' and not only was the form 'Vosotros' used throughout ... the archaic form of Vosotros was being used as well. Just to add confusion I guess ...

I later bought a copy of 'The Hobbit' and not only was the form 'Vosotros' used throughout ... the archaic form of Vosotros was being used as well. Just to add confusion I guess ...
I hadn't considered trying to read Tolkien in Spanish, its not a bad idea. I'm working my way through A Hundred Years of Solitude to brush up on my Spanish, but that book is confusing enough in English. I might have better luck with orcs.

We speak Costarrican Spanish. There are definately many words that you probably know and will find that there is another word used in Spain. You will quickly pick them up. For instance, for me, most of the vegetables have another name. Many other objects too, apart from popular expressions. Far worse, is the accent. Costa Ricans speak very clearly. The Spanish lisp and speak fast!
"Tu" is never used in Costa Rica, only Usted and occasionally the archaic Vos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The water closet is the aseos or servicios comes to mind, as well as the names of fish and seafood, as well as, as Annakappa mentions, fruits and veggies. But I would not be concerned. In the large grocery stores you pick up items yourself, in smaller ones you point, or read the name if it's there.

Would not concern myself with the vos, usted, vosotros. It's all understood.

Peole are much more informal they they are here backhome in Montreal: I would be taken back by anyone in a shop, restaurant or hotel using the tu, but in Spain it is much more common. Mind you, if someone speaks to you in the police form, answer in that form. I tend to default from habit to the polite form, but adjust down if the person answers in the tu form.

But don't sweat it, it is clear by the clothes on your back that you are foreign and noone will expect you to speak perfect localised Castellano.

If you walk through the Basque country and Euskera, learn hello, good bye, please and thank you, it could earn you a few smiles.

I'm from Argentina and have been living in Australia for over 25 years. Being in a place where you do not completely understand the language can be stressful at times, I know. But it is also exciting, fun and part of the experience. I travelled in Mexico years ago and the Mexican Castillian is full of jargon different to the Argentine Castillian, which is different to the Spanish Castillian. In Argentina, we never use 'vosotros', say 'vos' colloquially instead of 'tu' and 'tortillas' are neither bread nor what Mexicans call 'tortillas'. In the slang of Buenos Aires 'tortillas' have an even more interesting meaning!!! (but let's leave that explanation for another time and venue...). In my fast approaching first Camino I'm going to be mindful of the differences to enable understanding, but I'm not going to stress about my Argentine way of speaking because fear of sounding awkward. They will know I'm from somewhere else as they will know YOU are from somewhere else and it will be fine, they will understand. Relax and enjoy the differences! BUEN CAMINO!

I took a Spanish course in Barcelona last year. Vosotros is definitely used. I agree it is hard to get used to using it.
Tu is used much, much more than usted. In fact, my teacher told us that you would probably use usted with presidents and royalty, but use tu for everyone else. :) Likewise with vosotros vs ustedes.
And people will look at you funny if you ask for jugo de naranja instead of zumo de naranja.
And ask dónde esta los servicios, rather than donde esta el baño.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I speak passable Spanish, learned many years ago in Latin America. Don't worry about the differences - the Spaniards are more familiar with them than you are, and can make the adjustments. I still tend to use Ustedes because it is easier, and "usted" in business transactions, but figure it's better to err on the side of the formal, than on the side of the casual. My only surprise was that in Spain, one does not "tomar" a drink."Beber" is always used.

I just studied Spanish here in the US for 14 months before I walked the Francés and Inglés last year. The biggest surprise for me were some of the different names for some common items and some animals as well as the pronunciation of words with "v"

A couple I remember: Carro vs coche, mofeta vs zorilla . . .

Last edited:
Usted is definitely used, particularly among people who have left their teens...

Vosotros/vosotras is only used in the plural second person informal - like my American friend would use "you guys".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

You're definitely still way ahead than most pilgrims. I did take a brief Spanish course before my journey and even with the little I had, it helped immensely. Buen Camino.

Don't worry too much about the differences! You'll likely be understood and you'll pick up the differences in vocabulary once on the route. Be aware we don't use words like cuate, pinche, güey... We don't use parquear but aparcar, chango but mono... Well, the list would be too long. As I said above, don't worry too much about it. Just pay attention to all the words you hear that are different to the ones you hear in Mexico and figure out their meaning by the context. That's what locals will make when you use a word that isn't familiar for them. See below for more tips.

sandwiches are bocadillos not tortas

In Spain, a sandwich is a sándwich (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sándwich) and a bocadillo is a bocadillo (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocadillo_(pan)). BTW, colloquial for bocadillo is bocata.

Spain has one official language in all the country (Spanish) and several other languages that are co-official (alongside with Spanish) in the territories where they are spoken.

Your Mexican Spanish is actually called Castellano.

The language can be called either español or castellano although español is preferred by the Asociación de Academias de la Lengua Española.

Euskara is an official language and is spoken in Navarra and Pais Vasco

Euskara is a co-official language in the Basque Country and part of Navarre.

Galician is an official language and is spoken in Galicia.

Galician is a co-official language in Galicia. Although it doesn't have co-official status, it's a protected language in the areas of Castile and Leon where it's usually spoken (i.e.: part of the Bierzo and some towns in Sanabria).

I wondered how widespread the use of the vosotros form was.

In the areas of Spain crossed by the Camino Francés, vosotros/as is commonly used except when using ustedes in formal speech (see below).

The other question is tu vs. Usted.

That's someway a personal one because different people have different approaches. For example, some older people use usted when talking with religious members (nuns, monks, priests...) while barely any youth would even think of using usted with that sort of people. Tu is widely used nowadays specially among young people. Older people use usted more than young people but maybe not so much as they used to use it. I would say: use usted with authorities (police, judge...), with older people and when someone uses usted with you. And in the case of what you may think as older people, don't be too surprised if they request you to use tu with them by whatever reason (e.g.: I'm not that old...).

And people will look at you funny if you ask for jugo de naranja instead of zumo de naranja.

Yes, that's a good one to have in mind. However, although we don't use jugo but zumo, I think everyone would understand jugo.

And ask dónde esta los servicios, rather than donde esta el baño

Servicio or baño or aseo. All of them should be fine. It seems sometimes people put a strange (or funny or...) face when using a word that isn't the one they use but that doesn't mean you aren't using a word that may have been used by a Spanish.

My only surprise was that in Spain, one does not "tomar" a drink."Beber" is always used.

Tomar una caña, tomar un vino... We do use tomar. I'm not sure how could you get the idea that we don't use it.

A couple I remember: Carro vs coche, mofeta vs zorilla

You mixed the order. Mofeta is used in Spain while Zorrilla is used in some Spanish speaking American countries. OTOH, we use coche in Spain while carro is used in some Spanish speaking American countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry too much about the differences! You'll likely be understood and you'll pick up the differences in vocabulary once on the route. Be aware we don't use words like cuate, pinche, güey... We don't use parquear but aparcar, chango but mono... Well, the list would be too long. As I said above, don't worry too much about it. Just pay attention to all the words you hear that are different to the ones you hear in Mexico and figure out their meaning by the context. That's what locals will make when you use a word that isn't familiar for them. See below for more tips.

Thank you (and all the other posters) for the tips and, especially, the encouragement. I grew up in a neighborhood where my family were some of the only non-native Spanish speakers and have always been self-conscious about not speaking as well as others.

In recent years I've become more comfortable, mostly due to the encouragement of the Spanish-speaking community at my parish who wouldn't let me use "my Spanish isn't that good" as an excuse. They gently insisted that I would serve Mass and preach in Spanish...and I'm now to the point where I'm able to have meaningful conversations.

Not having ever been around anyone from Spain, though, I've been somewhat nervous about the differences in dialect. It is good to have the encouragement of the Camino community here, as well.

Ultreya

-Jason

P.S. Last night it occurred to me that I might find television channels streaming from Spain that I could watch on the internet...turns out there are many! The difference in accent, etc. wasn't as much of a problem as I thought it might be.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tomar una caña, tomar un vino... We do use tomar. I'm not sure how could you get the idea that we don't use it.
I am interested in this, as it came as a surprise to me! I was told by a Spanish pilgrim, but I can't remember where she was from. We were observing some young male pilgrims (who had a reputation along the way, in our "wave" of people) downing several large beers for breakfast. I observed that "ellos toman mucho", meaning that they drink a lot. She commented that it was a Latin American usage and in Spain they would only say "ellos beben mucho."

I have been trying to modify my usage, ever since, and am happy to stop. :)

Thank you (and all the other posters) for the tips and, especially, the encouragement. I grew up in a neighborhood where my family were some of the only non-native Spanish speakers and have always been self-conscious about not speaking as well as others.

In recent years I've become more comfortable, mostly due to the encouragement of the Spanish-speaking community at my parish who wouldn't let me use "my Spanish isn't that good" as an excuse. They gently insisted that I would serve Mass and preach in Spanish...and I'm now to the point where I'm able to have meaningful conversations.

Not having ever been around anyone from Spain, though, I've been somewhat nervous about the differences in dialect. It is good to have the encouragement of the Camino community here, as well.

Ultreya

-Jason

P.S. Last night it occurred to me that I might find television channels streaming from Spain that I could watch on the internet...turns out there are many! The difference in accent, etc. wasn't as much of a problem as I thought it might be.
You will find the Camino to be one of the most forgiving places on earth....

You'll do just fine. My Spanish isn't even that great and almost universally the people I met in Galicia were SO happy that I was even trying, and almost always commented on how well they thought I spoke. The first time I went there, I had a very strong Mexican accent (since that's where I learned Spanish), but very quickly picked up the Spain accent. As a matter of fact, when I'm home in Arizona, I sometimes have a bit of a tough time switching back to speaking without the 'lisp' !

A friend in Galicia likes to poke fun at my choice of words sometimes (carro/coche, manejar/conducir, tina/bañera, boleto/billete, and so on....), and I very quickly stopped saying "mande?" (instead "como?"). But I'm always understood, and learning about the differences is actually kind of fun since I'm so interested in the language. There's no expectation that you speak perfect Spanish (or any other language of the area that you pass through), but people are really delighted when you know even a few words (thank a Gallego with "graciñas" instead of "gracias", and you will probably get a surprised delighted look!)

I've found www.wordreference.com to be a great resource for reading up on the nuances of different words. It's helped me improve my vocabulary quite a bit!

Buena suerte y buen camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am interested in this, as it came as a surprise to me! I was told by a Spanish pilgrim, but I can't remember where she was from. We were observing some young male pilgrims (who had a reputation along the way, in our "wave" of people) downing several large beers for breakfast. I observed that "ellos toman mucho", meaning that they drink a lot. She commented that it was a Latin American usage and in Spain they would only say "ellos beben mucho."

Same here! My Galician friend corrected me to say "beber", but yet I see "tomar" used in things I read / social media, so I keep on using it!

The difference in accent, etc. wasn't as much of a problem as I thought it might be.

There are different accents within Spain itself and we understand each other. I, personally, never had a problem to understand any of the Spanish speaking people that I know that are from Spanish speaking American countries. And it seems they didn't have any problem either with my Castilian accent.

There are also differences among the Spanish spoken in different areas of the country. For example, sticking just to the areas crossed by the Camino Francés, the pretérito perfecto compuesto (e.g.: he comido) is used along most of the route but is barely used in Galicia (where instead they use the pretérito perfecto simple -comí- almost always).

I observed that "ellos toman mucho", meaning that they drink a lot. She commented that it was a Latin American usage and in Spain they would only say "ellos beben mucho."

That's right. In that context, beber is used. But, for example, if you meet a friend on the street and want to invite him/her to drink a beer, you'll say ¡Vamos a tomar una cerveza! OTOH, if you are thirsty and you see a fountain you would say (to yourself) voy a beber (agua) a la fuente. If you want to say to drink a liter of water is good for..., you can use either tomar or beber. The use of tomar or beber depends on the context. In case of doubt, in Spain, use beber.

I found the Spanish to be incredibly forgiving of sincere attempts to speak the language. I would frequently sense my interlocutor swallowing and wincing as they heard me try to find a pronoun or a verb, but we still managed. As far as fearing being too formal in speech, better that than the other way around. People understand that you are learning the language, and will be pleased that you are trying. You can use this as the basis of sermons on grace with which to bore your parishioners for years to come

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congratulations to all of you who at least try and learn some Spanish! You will be a guest in Spain for many weeks. Yet really doesn't matter if you are not fluent or use a wrong word. Your hosts will be delighted that at least you tried!
You will easily pick up the 'correct' word and then remember to use it!

I found the Spanish to be incredibly forgiving of sincere attempts to speak the language. I would frequently sense my interlocutor swallowing and wincing as they heard me try to find a pronoun or a verb, but we still managed. As far as fearing being too formal in speech, better that than the other way around. People understand that you are learning the language, and will be pleased that you are trying. You can use this as the basis of sermons on grace with which to bore your parishioners for years to come

Congratulations to all of you who at least try and learn some Spanish! You will be a guest in Spain for many weeks. Yet really doesn't matter if you are not fluent or use a wrong word. Your hosts will be delighted that at least you tried!
You will easily pick up the 'correct' word and then remember to use it!

I agree completely. They have always been patient, forgiving, and welcomed me with open arms.

I think Spanish speakers in the Americas say "cuarto" for a hotel room whereas Europeans say "habitacion" for the room but "cuarto de baño" for the bathroom?

After my first camino I started a Spainsh class. We were all asked if we could say something in Spanish and I trotted out a phrase I'd picked up.

"Jeffrey," she said "your accent is amazing!"

I coyly said thank you but she went on "no, not amazingly GOOD! One word sounds like it's from Valencia, another from Navarra and a third from Madrid".

Then, as my face obviously dropped she added . . . "but you mean well!"

And I guess that's the point - to mean well!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Tomar when it comes to a beverage is mostly for alcohol. If someone says "el toma mucho", it's not acompliment. But saying about a persone who drinks 2l. of water a day, you would opt for "el bebe mucha agua".

Beber for generic drinking, including good old water. Tomar would be derogatory, or.. heavens no, jugemental! ;0) "Toma agua" be pressing someone to drink water. Think about as drink vs take a drink.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's exactly how I used it, to indicate that they were "drinkers." Maybe the Spanish person didn't realize my meaning.
A Spanish speaker (at least where I'm coming from) will understand "él toma mucho", or "él bebe mucho", or "él es un tomador", or "él es un bebedor" as a warning about a heavy drinker. Of course the context in which this is said is the key.

We learnt our Spanish in the north of Argentina and it has helped us on our Caminos. We continue to learn from the locals as we walk, including picking up Gallego and Asturiano words/pronunciation. To get our ears 'tuned in' we watch the afternoon 10 minute weather forecast from the rtve/eltiempo website. It also helps that the isobars give a better insight to the UK weather than our own forecasters do!

I think Spanish speakers in the Americas say "cuarto" for a hotel room whereas Europeans say "habitacion" for the room but "cuarto de baño" for the bathroom?

I don't have enough knowledge to comment about the cuarto vs habitación usage on the Spanish speaking countries in the Americas. I do know cuarto is used on some countries but I don't know about other countries so I can't really comment about it.

Regarding the use by native Spanish speakers in Spain, habitación is used for the room (cuarto isn't used on that context) and either cuarto de baño or just baño for the bathroom. OTOH, speakers of Galician language use cuarto for room. And those that walked the Camino Portugues will know that quarto is used in Portuguese.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All this is about details... Of course some words are different, but the most dramatic situation that may arise is that you just comment to one another about each other's use of certain words at the dinner table... It's not like it's going to be an obstacle for you communicating with other people. There's a reason why the (main) languages in México and Spain both are labelled Spanish. It's the same language.

Actually, there are less differences beween Spanish spoken in different countries than i.e. English spoken in different countries. Spanish in Spain and Spanish in México have less differences between them than English in the US and English in Great Britain. (Uuh-ooh, seeing a lot of objections coming up here... just go at it..) :O)

Bottom line is that you can use your mexican Spanish perfectly in Spain! Good luck!

BP

Ah, but there is no such thing as Spanish, there is such a thing as Catellano which outside of Spain is called Spanish. Spain has a whole lot of languages, very diffrent ones, with diffrent roots and origines, not just different dialects, regionalisms and accents.

In the UK a number of languages are spoken, including English, which is centered in England, but in Spain the equivalent is not Spanish, but Castellano.

Depending on where you are, confusing the local language with Castellano / Spanish will not be appreciated. Now, little variations withing Castellano will go unnoticed. The price to pay for an colonial past I supose ;0)

Ah, but there is no such thing as Spanish, there is such a thing as Catellano which outside of Spain is called Spanish. Spain has a whole lot of languages, very diffrent ones, with diffrent roots and origines, not just different dialects, regionalisms and accents.

In the UK a number of languages are spoken, including English, which is centered in England, noone says they speak British or Ukaian, but in Spain the equivalent is not Spanish, but Castallano. In one case the name of the conglomerate is used to describe the language of a paet of the country, in the other the name of the "center" is used to name the language.

Depending on where you are, confusing the local language with Castellano / Spanish will not be appreciated. Now, little variations withing Castellano will go unnoticed. The price to pay for an colonial past I supose ;0)

Ah, but there is no such thing as Spanish, there is such a thing as Catellano which outside of Spain is called Spanish.

Discussions about how to call the language (español or castellano) are old and a lot has been written about the subject. Therefore, anyone interested in the subject will find all sort of info defending all sort of points of view. For those looking just for an overview, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_given_to_the_Spanish_language might be a starting point. If you read Spanish, the Spanish version of the same article will give you some more info.

I have walked over 1300 miles in Spain over the last four years, and have never had a problem speaking Spanish there. I'm from California with parents from Mexico, so my Spanish is more Mexican influenced that any thing else. I have spoken my Spanish in the Basque Country, in Galicia, in Catalonia, and never had a problem. I have used both "Tu" and "Usted". People know I am a pilgrim, I guess my clothes and backpack give it away, and they have always understood me, and have been more than polite. While different regions in Spain have other languages, most people speak Spanish, if fact I have never met anyone who didn't understand me.
You should have no problem using any version of Spanish you have. It is the same language. It's as if you were in England or Australia. While there might be some differences you generally don't have any problem communicating. So go, use the Spanish you know and have fun.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
While different regions in Spain have other languages, most people speak Spanish, if fact I have never met anyone who didn't understand me.

Spanish is taught at the school in all the country so it's very difficult to find a Spanish unable to speak it; even more if we exclude people that aren't able to speak (an oral language) and/or have (great) difficulties to speak (an oral language). If finding a Spanish unable to speak Spanish is very difficult, to find one unable to understand it is even more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:

D

Dont worry about the differeence. Everybody will understane you. In englis you can say I have a cup of coffee or I drink a cup of coffee. What´s the difference? It only a formal difference, so simply. Now i´ll complicate more, but dont worry it is very unformal. " Echamos un café" or "vamos a echar un café" "echar", means to pour. My advice as spanish is dont try to be very strict about language it changes more than weather. Second, about "tu or usted" Usted is an old word derivate from "Vuestra merced " used to address somebody important . Now has the mean of distance to somebody unknown . First time addres with usted if he/she answer with usted continue, if he/ she anwers with tu that means confidence, continue with tu.

Walked the CF a while with a Cuban pilgrim and asked if he had any difficulty. He said not at all. His Spanish was a bit different than what the Spanish people spoke but he understood them and they understood him just fine.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's not only the words that may differ. Also expressions can have hilarious reactions.
In Torres del Rio, at breakfast time in an albergue, I asked the barman "favor me regales otro caffe" on which he answered "aqui no se regala nada, se paga". Upon which the waitress next to him started laughing, because she was Nicaraguan and understood the polite LAM (latin american) question for another cup of coffee.
At a hostel in Logrono, when inquiring "si tiene campo" (do you have room available), the answer was "aqui no tenemos camping". (We don't have a camping here)
When asking in an albergue for a "cobija" it took some time for the hospitalera to conclude that we wanted a "manta". (blanket):cool:

Spanish is taught at the school in all the country so it's very difficult to find a Spanish unable to speak it; even more if we exclude people that aren't able to speak (an oral language) and/or have (great) difficulties to speak (an oral language). If finding a Spanish unable to speak Spanish is very difficult, to find one unable to understand it is even more difficult.

I agree, but in Galicia still there are a few elder people who can´t speak Spanish. An uncle of mine who is alive when he went with IMSERSO to Palma de Mallorca and Torremolinos he had to ask for the services in hotels in Galician because he was unable to speak Spanish (and still he is).

Very true. Came across an older couple on their farm on the Primitivo who did not speak Castellano. They were also wearing those wooden shoes that have little legs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A question especially for any Spanish pilgrim brethren on the forum (and, of course, any others who are knowledgeable):

I speak intermediate level Mexican Spanish...aside from those differences I've already discovered (tortillas aren't bread, sandwiches are bocadillos not tortas) are there any other major differences that will get me unexpected results?

Ultreya,

-Jason
You'll be fine. Even if you decide to travel afterward to Barcelona, most folks speak Spanish also. Even Valencia has it's own dialect. Valenciano as it's called. I actually found the Spanish there much easier to understand. Most importantly the phrases, "Hello, Please and Thank You" go a very long way no matter what language you speak.

But, for example, if you meet a friend on the street and want to invite him/her to drink a beer, you'll say ¡Vamos a tomar una cerveza! OTOH, if you are thirsty and you see a fountain you would say (to yourself) voy a beber (agua) a la fuente. If you want to say to drink a liter of water is good for..., you can use either tomar or beber. The use of tomar or beber depends on the context. In case of doubt, in Spain, use beber.

I am guessing this is the difference between "having" some water/beer and "drinking" some water/beer?

Like, in English we'd say, "let's have a beer" (to a friend) or "I'll have a glass of water please" (to a waiter), but we wouldn't say "let's drink a beer" or "I'll drink a glass of water please" (both grammatically correct, but they sound odd). And on the other hand, we'd be more likely to say "Did you drink all that water?" rather than "Did you have all that water?"

It seems to work for the examples i can think of, but I'd love to hear whether this strategy works 100% with Spanish? Like, can we just use tomar for "have" and beber for "drink," the same as in English? Or are there linguistic/cultural idiosyncrasies to consider?

Yes, you can use "tomar" for have and "beber" for drink the same as in English in Spain. In LatinAmerica depending on the countries. For example in Dominican Rep, they say "beber las pastillas" drink the pills what in Spain sounds odd.

I agree, but in Galicia still there are a few elder people who can´t speak Spanish
Very true. Came across an older couple on their farm on the Primitivo who did not speak Castellano.

I'm aware there are some Spanish that are monolinguals in languages other than Castilian. That's why I said it's very difficult (not impossible) to find a Spanish unable to speak Spanish. The % of Spanish monolinguals in languages other than Castilian is so low that your chances of finding one are slim but that doesn't mean you can't find them as both of you know.

Even Valencia has it's own dialect. Valenciano as it's called.

Valencian and Catalan are considered by most linguistics to be the same language although there's people in Valencia that consider them different languages. If you consider Valencian and Catalan to be the same language and you consider that language must be called Catalan (and not Valencian), you may consider Valencian as the dialect of Catalan spoken in the (Catalan speaking areas of the) Autonomous Community of Valencia even though it isn't an uniform dialect and subdialects can be found. There isn't a dialect of Spanish called Valenciano.

Wow...just had a chance to catch up on all the replies to this thread. As usual, the forum hasn't let me down--either in good advice or lively discussion!

So, ¡gracias a todos por su asistencia!

Ultreya,

-Jason

As a Texan educated in Mexican Spanish, I'm one more voice in the "don't worry about it" camp.

Regarding the Castilian "zeta" /θ/ or distinción (I hate calling it a lisp!): I'm sure that if I tried to take it up I'd make a fool of myself by hypercorrecting and turning /s/ into /θ/ when it should stay an /s/. So I limited myself to saying /θ/ only in place names or the occasional "graθias" and nobody blinked at my inconsistency. In truth, on the Camino nobody would have blinked at any possible mangling I might have done as long as they could follow me.

Interestingly, it wasn't uncommon to hear locals omitting the /θ/. I don't know whether that meant they were migrants from the south of Spain or Latin America, or something else was going on.

Regarding monolinguals in regional languages: my one experience was when I wandered into a Catalán bookshop looking for an introductory Catalán textbook. The middle-aged clerk couldn't understand my Spanish, or at any rate pretended that she couldn't. Since she must have grown up in Franco's school system, I find it hard to believe that she really couldn't follow my simple question. I suppose it's possible that she was a Catalán speaker from France.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was buying postcards in Cervera on the Cami de San Jaume and realized that I was in a shop of Catalanophones, so just asked the clerk to perdon mi castellano, porque mi catalan is mas terrible que mi castellano, all in a clunky Diefenbaker accent. This seemed to caus amusement, rather than offence.

I have had a lisp since childhood, so I do it in all words in all languages. Maybe people in Spain thought I was hypercorrecting, but so what? I spoke the best Spanish (American/Mexican) I could and nobody made me feel silly. I think people appreciate the Spanish you can speak, and there were a lot of people who didn't speak English. Don't worry, however you talk you will be understood.

Regarding monolinguals in regional languages: my one experience was when I wandered into a Catalán bookshop looking for an introductory Catalán textbook. The middle-aged clerk couldn't understand my Spanish, or at any rate pretended that she couldn't. Since she must have grown up in Franco's school system, I find it hard to believe that she really couldn't follow my simple question. I suppose it's possible that she was a Catalán speaker from France.

I don't know the details of what happened to you but we have to bear in mind that being replied in Catalan when you talk/ask in Castilian doesn't (necessarily) mean the other person doesn't know Castilian. It may just mean s/he isn't willing to use it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jason we (my USA born son and myself from Puerto Rico) are currently on our second day of the Sarria to Stgo Camino, as others have said do not stress about it. But my son has several suggestions zumo is juice as in zumo de naranja (Orange juice), potatoes are patatas and the tortillas (omelets ) can be of many different things but hardly ever española as we say in PR and Miami, Fl.
Buen Camino
Carmen

Ultreya,

-Jason

Hello Deacon Jason,
I grew up speaking a myriad of languages. To say my family is diverse is the understatement of the century. My grandparents emigrated from Spanish Basque Country so I was speaking Spanish and the Spanish basque dialect from a young age. My Spanish is still very strong, my basque is passable. In college I decided to take a semester off and move to Mexico. No joke-I was lost for about the first 5 days. I understood very little until I adjusted my listening to a more rapid cadence, differences in words used and idioms. I suspect it will be the same for you. As I am walking my first Camino next year I anticipate this problem as well but I am confident it will be the same. As long as you have the basics down you will pick up something new and exciting up every day! My suggestion would be to relax and roll with it. Have fun and Buen Camino.

the tortillas (omelets ) can be of many different things but hardly ever española as we say in PR and Miami, Fl.

But most people understood when you asked for a tortilla española, don't they? Although that name isn't used frequently, it isn't unknown.

I was speaking Spanish and the Spanish basque dialect from a young age

There isn't a Spanish basque dialect. Basque is a language on its own (with different roots than Spanish, BTW); not a dialect. Depending on where within the Basque Country were your parents from, you'll speak Bizkaian Basque dialect or Gipuzkoan Basque dialect. Or maybe they don't speak any of those dialect but the unified Basque (Batua Basque).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But most people understood when you asked for a tortilla española, don't they? Although that name isn't used frequently, it isn't unknown.

There isn't a Spanish basque dialect. Basque is a language on its own (with different roots than Spanish, BTW); not a dialect. Depending on where within the Basque Country were your parents from, you'll speak Bizkaian Basque dialect or Gipuzkoan Basque dialect. Or maybe they don't speak any of those dialect but the unified Basque (Batua Basque).

You are correct. It's not a dialect but a language on its own with no apparent roots.my bad. I know better. A baffling language at that. I'm hoping to find some of my old Basque friends to buff up and improve my skills. Interestingly we have a large community of basques in our region, (Northern Nevada) old sheep herder families. Mine included. The interesting part from what I understand, is that it seems to depend on which side of the Pyrenees you come from as to which language or I guess dialect you speak. The French basque side is different from the Spanish side. Very interesting in itself.

As a Texan educated in Mexican Spanish, I'm one more voice in the "don't worry about it" camp.

Regarding the Castilian "zeta" /θ/ or distinción (I hate calling it a lisp!): I'm sure that if I tried to take it up I'd make a fool of myself by hypercorrecting and turning /s/ into /θ/ when it should stay an /s/. So I limited myself to saying /θ/ only in place names or the occasional "graθias" and nobody blinked at my inconsistency. In truth, on the Camino nobody would have blinked at any possible mangling I might have done as long as they could follow me.

Interestingly, it wasn't uncommon to hear locals omitting the /θ/. I don't know whether that meant they were migrants from the south of Spain or Latin America, or something else was going on.

Talking about northern Spain, In Galicia in Costa da Morte (Finisterre, Muxia) the Galician language spoken there has the sibilant /s/ sound for letters c or z, similar to Portuguese, also in the Basque country you can find people whose first language is Basque using sound /s/ when speaking Spanish.
In my case (I am Spanish) when I had the same problem as you in Catalonia I said "Jo no parlo Catalá, Jo soc turista". I can´t speak Catalán I´m a tourist, and as a consequence the other part always changed to a perfect Spanish.

The interesting part from what I understand, is that it seems to depend on which side of the Pyrenees you come from as to which language or I guess dialect you speak.

The language is the same: Basque. Basque has several dialects. There's also an unified/standardized Basque (Batua Basque). Among the Basque dialects, Bizkaian Basque, Gipuzkoan Basque and Upper Navarrese Basque are spoken just in Spain while Souletin Basque is spoken just in France. Navarro-Lapurdian Basque is spoken both in France and in Spain.

Interestingly we have a large community of basques in our region, (Northern Nevada) old sheep herder families. Mine included.

http://knowledgecenter.unr.edu/sheepherders/basques.html will give you info, it you are interested.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walked the CF a while with a Cuban pilgrim and asked if he had any difficulty. He said not at all. His Spanish was a bit different than what the Spanish people spoke but he understood them and they understood him just fine.

I'm Cuban and that was my experience while vacationing in Andalusia this past May. Of course I had no trouble. It's the same language-just different regional differences. I always say it's akin to me calling a Pepsi a soda and my mid-west friends calling it a "pop". Or a car trunk in the USA is a boot in the UK.
My great grandparents came from northern Spain (Galicia and Asturias) and I look Spanish. It was funny when the waiters would approach our table and start talking Spanish to me (I answered in Spanish) and then would look at my husband (Irish grandparents) and stop-suddenly confused as to what language to use with him. It was funny. All over Spain I was pegged for Spanish until I started talking. Then they'd ask where I was from. The US I would say. Confusion again. At least in the places we went they were not used to getting customers who looked Spanish but spoke fluent Spanish with an accent they couldn't figure out, and said they were American. My husband was identified as an English speaker on sight. :)

My point is don't worry. The Spaniards adapt easily and so will you.

Most read last week in this forum

I regret not reading Iberia earlier, however, it is never to late to read this marvelous tome, published in 1968. I just finished reading it, two years after beginning my Camino Frances. In Iberia...
Look at this! My daily walking route in my neighborhood has a recently inaugurated Cruceiro flown over from Spain! Like it’s sister Cruceiro it was sculpted from a single block of granite the new...
The Pilgrim Garden is an outdoor restorative place for pilgrims to restore, reflect, journal, pray, or simply enjoy nature. Installation May 11, 2024 along Camino Frances in Os Chacotes Park...
Laberinto del Camino is new labyrinth peace/prayer path built for pilgrims located in Os Chacotes Park, Palas de Rei along Camino Frances. Installed May 2022. This labyrinth invites all pilgrims...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.