• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spending $$$ (Le Puy route)

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi all,

I'm thinking of allocating myself 60 Euros a day. Will this be enough for food and accommodation?

Merci
Sonia
:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have good news for you: on that budget, you can live like a prince! I averaged about 35E per night, demi-pension, and would allow about another 5E for picnic lunch supplies. So, 40E daily on average. Your train in and out, and any days of pack transport, would be additional. I stayed in private gites mostly, an occasional chambre d'hote, the odd small hotel, and in the municipal twice. Lodging details are in the blog.

My wife and I found that our full days costs ranged from 60- 110 E for both of us. That covered all our meals and the occasional coffee, more than occasional tartlette etc.

That should mean that 50E is a pretty fair estimation.

However What we DID find was that for an extra 25E , say spending 80 instead of 55 E in a particular spot the difference in accomodation, food etc was quite noticeable .

In the end, if you can afford it, spend it. You won't regret the experience and the local economy can use a boost....

We walked from Le Puy to Cahors in September.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi folks,

Thank you for taking the time replying to my question. Great to hear 60 Euros is more than enough.

Cheers,
Sonn
:)

Kitsambler said:
I have good news for you: on that budget, you can live like a prince! .

I would say that you would be hard pressed to find a prince to fit that budget. My princess has lived in her car and now would go over that in a flash. Yes, it will be enough, but a few good regional restaurants and hotels in the rain will put you right up to the budget.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi my husband and I recently got back from walking the entire Le Puy route, we averaged 40 euros per day each, staying in a mix of gite communal, gite privee, chamber d'hôtes and mostly ate demipension, odd restaurant meal and odd self catering. Aperitifs, picnic lunches included. If you would like our itinerary with prices send me a PM with your email address and I will email you the document. For some reason it won't upload onto this site. Cheers, Gitti

I have good news for you: on that budget, you can live like a prince! I averaged about 35E per night, demi-pension, and would allow about another 5E for picnic lunch supplies. So, 40E daily on average. Your train in and out, and any days of pack transport, would be additional. I stayed in private gites mostly, an occasional chambre d'hote, the odd small hotel, and in the municipal twice. Lodging details are in the blog.

Hi Kitsambler - just in the middle of reading your blog and I am loving it :) Thank you! x

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just read your comment regarding your budget on the Le Puy route. I too hope to walk the full route this coming summer and would have to budget somewhat. You offered your list of expenses so I was wondering if I could receive it to get some idea of what I might expect, especially for accommodation. I walked the Frances and Finisterre routes and was very happy staying at the usual mix of albergues along the way. My email is birnbaumclara@hotmail.com. Thanks so much.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just read your comment regarding your budget on the Le Puy route. I too hope to walk the full route this coming summer and would have to budget somewhat. You offered your list of expenses so I was wondering if I could receive it to get some idea of what I might expect, especially for accommodation. I walked the Frances and Finisterre routes and was very happy staying at the usual mix of albergues along the way. My email is birnbaumclara@hotmail.com. Thanks so much.
Yes, I have similar concerns, as I'm on a budget as well. I'm a bit shocked at the prices now I'm starting to book (I'm heading off in two weeks); it's obviously not going to be anywhere near as cheap as the camino Frances.

The costs of walking the camino Frances (and maybe the VdlP, and a few other Spanish paths) are the exemptions with respect to walking any camino related trail in Europe.

Walk anyway else in Europe and plan to spend more, from as little as 35 euro per day on the Le Puy, approximately 50 euro on the via Francigena in Italy, to over 100 SF in Switzerland and even more in countries like Norway.

This is maybe why, apart from many other reasons, the camino Frances is so popular.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
France route is very expensive unless you stay at municipal albergues and even thus still expensive, make sure you bring two atm cards to withdraw cash

France route is very expensive.
Walking the Le Puy route is "very expensive" only compared to walking the Camino Frances in Spain. The Le Puy route is less expensive than Germany, and much less expensive than Switzerland. Walking the Le Puy route is also significantly less expensive than a stay in Paris. So, costs are relative. There are a variety of lodging options, at various price points. You have to choose what fits your own needs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back