• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spontaneously booked! Now what?

Curtis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Fall 2016
Hello Pilgrims,

Today I woke up and decided I'm going to book my flights... and I did!! I will be flying from Toronto to Paris, then 43 days later flying from Madrid to Toronto. (September/October)

As a physically active 22 year old, did I give myself enough time to travel from Paris to SJPDP, and then from Santiago to Madrid after completing my first camino?

The first step is complete, what's next?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes! You did beautifully. That is my kind of Camino! Heaps of time to stop and look at things on the way, enjoy the second breakfast and the cafe con leche, find the good tapas bars, visit the churches and cathedrals, talk to everyone, and keep the daily kilometres down so there are no blisters and no injuries. It is so tempting on a first camino to put the head down and ignore everything except getting to Santiago. I guess people do not know what they are missing, if they miss it! And if you get to Santiago and still have time left, you can walk to Finisterre and back.

Enjoy! I am excited for you.

Second step - check out the forum in detail. It really does contain jewels of information. Then decide on your gear, including walking footwear. Do you already have things that you have used happily on long hikes? If so, and they work for you, take those. Otherwise read all the advice, consider the experience of those who are giving the advice, and make up your own mind. You know yourself and your budget, your own body, likes, dislikes, weaknesses and strengths, better than anyone else. Then go "tyre kicking" in the hiking stores (one of my personal favourite past-times) .

Hello Pilgrims,

Today I woke up and decided I'm going to book my flights... and I did!! I will be flying from Toronto to Paris, then 43 days later flying from Madrid to Toronto. (September/October)

As a physically active 22 year old, did I give myself enough time to travel from Paris to SJPDP, and then from Santiago to Madrid after completing my first camino?

I certainly hope it's enough time, since I have about the same schedule and am a less-physically-active 38 year old!

Seriously, though, it should be plenty of time. Paris to SJPP can be done in half a day by train, as can Santiago to Madrid. Since the walk itself can be reasonably done in 30-35 days, that still gives you a few days to play with.

Now you can worry about useless planning tasks and weighing your gear for the next month and a half like the rest of us. ;)

Ultreya,

-Jason

P.S. hope to see you there in September
P.P.S. ..and everything that Kanga said!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Backpack: at that time of hear a 40l. or so should do it, to fit a light sleepingbag and rain gear.

The footware and foot care.

If you want, get a guidebook. Brierly will get you there and give you some info on where you are. Otherwise, grab the couple of sheets the pilgrim office will give tou: elevations and diatance ler suggested etapas, the other a list of albergues.

Get your credencial from this forum or in Sjpp, bit do book a bed in Sjpp by looking up info on the Eroski or Gronze sites.

Then just walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Curtis!

You sound excited and you should be. You have plenty of time to hike the entire Camino. You are very fortunate in this respect.

I would urge you "to stop and smell the roses" on your way to the starting point. If you haven't been to Paris, spend a few days there. If Paris is a little too expensive, try Bordeaux for a couple of days. Many people on their way to their first Camino are in a hurry, because they are on a time budget. It's necessary, I can appreciate that. But if you have the time before, spend some time in one or both of these great European cities. As a Canadian, you've had some French language instruction, so enjoying Paris or Bordeaux or Bayonne will be an urban addition to your adventure. With the amount of time you have budgeted, you can possibly hit Lisbon and Madrid at the end. I personally prefer to do a bit of touring at the beginning of my trip, because it eases the jet lag and also because when I am finished walking, I am ready to head home. For me, touring at the end of a long trip is a little less enjoyable because of that homing instinct.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi Curtis,

Welcome here! What the others posted of course : always the best information.
Above all enjoy and experience. And one foot and then the other....Vamos.

Ultreia!

BUEN CAMINO, enjoy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Awesome!

Next step is probably sorting your gear. You will need a backpack, a minimal amount of clothes...
Check the equipment forums for an idea. Keep it light, and you will be fine. Most things you may need can be found on the way, so do not worry in carrying everything you "may"need, only what you really need!

If you have a super-comfortable pair of shoes you are used to walking with, I'd say that may be a good choice for the Camino!

Hi Curtis, great decision! You'll figure everything out on time. Just go and enjoy the walk. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes more than enough time. Old guy suggestion: You will find it delightfully easy in the beginning, what I witnessed with young bucks they pushed too hard & started getting injuries, some had to stop. So try to set a reasonable pace for you! Have a great time!
Buen Camino

You'll be fine and have a good time. I've walked with a lot of people your age, and they always seem to enjoy the Camino immensely.

The only thing that may trip you up is footwear. Do you have good, comfortable, BIG ENOUGH (means one size bigger than normal for most of us) shoes or boots? Have you already walked a lot in them or do they need breaking in? Everything else can be fixed while you're walking, including the usual beginner's mistake of bringing everything but the kitchen sink, but if your shoes are tight or give you blisters you'll have a lot less fun.

If you plan to walk the Napoleon Pass route over the Pyrenees from St. Jean Pied de Port, please know that the first 8-10 Km are the steepest gradient on the entire Camino Frances. The first 8 km stretch, in particular, has affected many Caminos by persons not aware of this and either mentally or physically unprepared for it. The scenery is absolutely stunning. But the physical effort, especially at the very start of your Camino, is also a surprise.

To cope with the Napoleon Pass route, or if bad weather closes the Napoleon Pass, some people take the slightly less steep Valcarlos Route. As you leave St. Jean PdP, just beyond the old stone gate, there is a fork in the road. Take the left fork to head up towards the Napoleon Pass. Take the right fork to follow the Valcarlos Route.

Others, like me who prefer the Napoleon Pass, if the weather cooperates, choose to stay the first night at Refuge Orisson. It is only about 8 km from the edge of St. Jean PdP. They should still be open in September. This breaks the first 26 - 27 Km segment to Roncesvalles into two comfortable days. if you plan to do this, do make advance reservations. It is a private albergue and fills up regularly.

To be sure, there are many more hills and mountains after this. But none is a daunting as that first day out of St. Jean PdP.

I hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sleep as much as possible so you get closer and closer to the adventure of a lifetime. !!

HI Curtis, that is very exciting. TMcA is right, try to see other places while you are there. You have given yourself more than enough time to comfortably walk Camino Frances so do try to spend a couple of days in Paris and Madrid. AirBNB is a really inexpensive way to find a place to stay especially if you just need a room. Take advantage of spending the money on airfare and check out Paris and Madrid for sure.
Other advice, if you are a hiker you likely have everything you need but in September a rain poncho/coat is a must especially in Galicia. If you are not a hiker, buy hiking pants with zip off leg. Leave the jeans at home. Too hot and heavy.
I am curious. What made you decide to go? Lots of European walkers in their 20, often their gap year or pause after university, and let's face it, it's cheap for them. Most North Americans I met are closer to retirement so I am curious why you decided on this adventure if you wish to share.
But regardless, I am sure you will have a wonderful time and meet lots of pilgrims of all ages.
Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome, Curtis! Lots of good suggestions here.
@Anemone nailed it:
Backpack: at that time of year a 40l. or so should do it, to fit a light sleeping bag and rain gear.
The footware and foot care.
If you want, get a guidebook. Brierly will get you there and give you some info on where you are. Otherwise, grab the couple of sheets the pilgrim office will give you: elevations and diatance for suggested etapas, the other a list of albergues.
Get your credencial from this forum or in Sjpp, bit do book a bed in Sjpp by looking up info on the Eroski or Gronze sites.
Then just walk.
On top of that, do whatever you can to stay spontaneous. Over-planning and over-thinking are games anxiety plays...and one of the biggest gifts of the Camino is that it's a pretty safe place to try letting go into into the mystery.
That said, creative exploration here is a lot of fun.
Second step - check out the forum in detail. It really does contain jewels of information.
Like this thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ips-off-the-camino-frances.41811/#post-425955
You have the time to wander a bit, and that could really enrich the journey...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
HI Curtis,
I am curious. What made you decide to go? Lots of European walkers in their 20, often their gap year or pause after university, and let's face it, it's cheap for them. Most North Americans I met are closer to retirement so I am curious why you decided on this adventure if you wish to share.
Hi Diane, thank you for your response. I have done some hiking and still have most of the appropriate gear.

I learned about the camino de santiago this past spring and spent hours reading about the history, culture and peoples experiences. It was shortly after that I had a epiphany that will surely impact the rest of my life.

Many people put similar experiences on a bucket list and will say they want to do it before they die. I decided to start completing things on my bucket list while I'm alive.

Good for you Curtis. I did my first just before my 60th birthday and second a year later and plan to go again next summer. As I said I am sure you will love it. It is an amazing experience.
I assume you are in the Toronto area. There is the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. There are meetings in Toronto twice a year. Next one will likely be last Saturday in October or first Saturday in November. If you are back, it would be great to hear about your experience. It's open to anyone who has walked or wants to. They have a Facebook page.
Buen Camino and enjoy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes more than enough time. Old guy suggestion: You will find it delightfully easy in the beginning, what I witnessed with young bucks they pushed too hard & started getting injuries, some had to stop. So try to set a reasonable pace for you! Have a great time!
Buen Camino
I endorse this philosophy. In Swahili: pole pole (slowly slowly). 10 km for first 3 or 4 days; have repack in Pamplona - you may consider lightning your load. Buen Camino.:):Do_O

In Swahili: pole pole (slowly slowly).
Even closer to home, in Spanish "tranquilo tranquilo"--it's some the best advice anyone on the Camino ever offered me (from an elderly lady in Contreras, after I wandered into town many kms off the Camino I intended to be on).

You will love it ! Just go with the flow. Enjoy and Buen Camino !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lovely. Waking up and book. Go west, young man! You choose an excellent time to walk in the Northern Spanish autumn. You took the most important step, the rest will follow. But, as you posted an open question for advice, I've published my packing list on the Forum last week, it's under Camino Resources.

Hi Diane, thank you for your response. I have done some hiking and still have most of the appropriate gear.

I learned about the camino de santiago this past spring and spent hours reading about the history, culture and peoples experiences. It was shortly after that I had a epiphany that will surely impact the rest of my life.

Many people put similar experiences on a bucket list and will say they want to do it before they die. I decided to start completing things on my bucket list while I'm alive.
Hi Curtis, go for it. You will have a great time and you will meet lots of other pilgrims along your journey. And some of them will stay long time friends. :cool::D
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Pilgrims,

I met friends on the Camino that were 79 years young (July 2016) and they completed the walk from SJPDP to Santiago in 33 days. At 22 years you should have no problem. I am 62 and also completed it in 32 days. Enjoy every minute as it goes by so quick

I shall be starting my cycle Camino from SJPP on September 16th.
All starting to seem real

You know how you make miracles happen?
YOU.BUY.A.TICKET!
You stepped out to make it happen. You put it out there.
It's so easy to paralyze yourself in life with over-thinking things.
We walked in the fall of 2014. Wildest and WISEST decision I ever made in my life.

If I could offer one thought; easy does it. Pole, pole as what was mentioned earlier.
At the beginning of the Camino, people were rushing over the Pyrenees Mountains. They are majestic. Savor every moment of it.
What I noticed at the end of the Camino was that the closer we came to Santiago, pilgrims were slowing down to a crawl. They were off in the woods, having a picnic, sitting on logs talking to one another, sharing a bottle of wine with cheese and crackers. Rubbing their feet and legs and taking off their shoes. Sitting in a village having a glass of vino or a beer. We didn't want it to end.

I wish I was as wise as you; buying a ticket and going for it. I'm older, but I'm going for it now! We are planning our next Camino Portugues and then planning to walk caminos and trails over in Scotland and France.

Have the most amazing time of your life. Your post hit the nail on the head. Just BUY.THE.TICKET!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Pilgrims,

Hi Curtis, 43 days is a great gift of time for you to spend a few days in Paris, enjoy your Camino, spend some time in Santiago and travel to Madrid and enjoy some days there too! Buen Camino, Pete

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back