• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean accommodation

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
I apologise in advance for starting what must be the millionth or so thread on where to stay in St Jean. I tried to use the forum search engine to search for threads, but 'st jean' was too common a query, so here we are!

Anyway, I'll be arriving in St Jean on the evening of Sunday, May 20, and am wondering where to stay that night. I'll be beginning my walk to Santiago on May 21, and so will stay in many albergues along the way. I am looking forward to the communal and, no doubt, sometimes modest nature of the various places I'll be staying on the route, but that being so, I'm considering maybe spoiling myself a little bit in St Jean by staying in a hotel and getting a private room, just to get one last bit of comfort in before beginning the Camino.

It's just an idea, and I'm not wedded to it. Indeed, I may well decide it's a bad idea between now and then, but I would like to book somewhere for that night well in advance of arriving, just for peace of mind.

So, where would people recommend staying in St Jean, either at the more upmarket or more affordable ends of the spectrum?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
At the beginning I was thinking along your lines Mark, but I agree with Falcon book Esprit du Chemin if there is still room there and spoil yourself a bit later on the Camino when you might really need it.

Therese

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That makes a lot of sense. I'll follow that link.

Thank you!

First day from SJPDP is hard for beginners, 26 km up the mountain.
I suggest you walk , the day you arrive, the 6 km up the mountain, steep climb, and stay at Hounto, the second day will be easier.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
zammy said:
First day from SJPDP is hard for beginners, 26 km up the mountain.
I suggest you walk , the day you arrive, the 6 km up the mountain, steep climb, and stay at Hounto, the second day will be easier.

Hi Zammy,

Yeah, I've decided to resist the temptation to do the full walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles on day 1. I've booked a bed at Orisson, so I'm going to ease myself into it somewhat, though my understanding is that the 10km climb to Orisson will be challenging!

Hi Mark,

Arriving in the evening, chances are the volunteers at the pilgrims office will guide you to the albergues that will still have vacancies. I stayed at a simple albergue (can't remember the name) in St. Jean and throughout the Camino and about once a week I treated myself to a nicer hotel/pension. Usually, I'd pair up with a fellow pilgrim that I met along the way that day and we'd share a room to lower costs and enjoy the company. There will be so many different albergues and experiences along the way-- every stop is so different than the one before, and every stop is unique. I didn't hear about any one albergue that really stood out in St. Jean, but the town itself was lovely...so picturesque, it looked like a painting. If you get a chance to take a stroll, it's well worth it :)

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Hi all,
My flight arrives in Paris on 5/17. The only feasible train from Paris that day arrives in SJPP at 10:27PM. I checked L'Esprit's website (looked nice) but it states they close the doors at 10:30.

I really want to get into SJPP on 5/17. Any suggestions considering the late arrival time of the train- albergues that are open late, cheap(ish) hotels, crash at station if it comes to that?

Seems a bit intimidating to layover in Paris for a day, and deal with all sorts of transportation issues the next day. The only earlier train the next day departs Paris at 8:25AM. Trying to get to the station during rush hour seems a bit daunting for a non-French speaker.

Seems much simpler to leave the airport directly to train station on airport shuttle on the day of arrival. Plus the hotel rates for Paris are out of my budget range. I have time to see Paris after the camino if I so desire and have some leftover cash.

Thanks for any advice.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Jayandar!

As I mentioned in an earlier post in Saint-Jean the office for the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle usually stays open for the arrival of the last train. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. You might telephone them from the Bayonne station before you get the TER train to St Jean. They can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay. By the way the station in St Jean is miniscule and closes for the night after the last train arrives.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Hi, if you have time and don't want to get into SJPP too late there is a wonderful hostel in Paris called Maubuisson. It's just across from Ile St Louis in the 4th and next door to St Gervais which is the church used used by a monastic community, La Communauté de Jérusalem.
Does anyone know how to get the train schedules for trains from Paris to SJPP? Thanks, Ali

Ali,
raileurope.com is an option to book train transport from paris to sjpp...not sure if it's the best...

Mspath,
I called accuel pelerins but the person who answered did not speak english...i then filled out a reservation request online for one of the auberges listed in the brierley guide...their site said the date was open, but i have not received a confirmation yet (just did it yesterday; so not panicking)...

but......do i need to stress out about this first nights stay..? or will calling accuel pelerins at about 14:00 from bayonne on the day of my arrival/or just walking in to accuel at about 16:45 be sufficient to secure a auberge bed..? i just don't want to have to sleep outside or bust my budget from the outset (the hotels in the brierly guide are quite expensive and mostly booked up already)

not trying to put you on the spot...just looking for info...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Jayandar, I'll check out the rail site. I had planned to just show up at the train station to purchase the ticket. But that may not be the best idea. Spring break has a way of doing strange things to seating availability over there. Ali

Well, THAT was easy. Two trains leaving Montparnasse Paris via Bayonne to SJPP--dpt 8:25 or 14:26 and arr. 16:23 or 22:27. For those traveling during European spring break, you might want to book ahead if you can.

Also, if you are going to the Montparnasse station for the first time, there is an easy bus that goes right there and along the main road that runs into Montparnasse there is a terrific gelato shop on the right side. I forget the name but it is good stuff.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back