• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean to end of the world ! May 13 into June

sue-loves-cats

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May/June 2015 finishing in Santiago.
May 2016 Santiago to Fisterra/Muxia
Hello all

I will be walking from early May and am now at a place where I'm ready to start !!!! Just one question ... any tips for protecting the ends of my toes in my walking boots ... I have problematic feet and would rather prevent than treat .

Burn Camino
Sue

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello all

I will be walking from early May and am now at a place where I'm ready to start !!!! Just one question ... any tips for protecting the ends of my toes in my walking boots ... I have problematic feet and would rather prevent than treat .

Burn Camino
Sue
Hi Sue, sorry I don't know but I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

When you put your boots on in the morning kick your heel hard back into the heel of the boot and lace well from instep upwards, leaving the lower boot looser (you can do this by putting a half hitch in the laces about fourth lace holes up) and this should stop your feet moving forward too far - of course, you have to have the right sized boots to begin with - make sure they are long enough, with good space between end of toes and boot!

Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When you put your boots on in the morning kick your heel hard back into the heel of the boot and lace well from instep upwards, leaving the lower boot looser (you can do this by putting a half hitch in the laces about fourth lace holes up) and this should stop your feet moving forward too far - of course, you have to have the right sized boots to begin with - make sure they are long enough, with good space between end of toes and boot!

Buen Camino.
Thank you David I'll try that

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sue,

Based on your title, I'm assuming you're beginning your walk on May 13 from SJPDP. I am starting that day also. How far are you walking the first day? I am going to Orisson on day 1 and then Espinal on day 2. How many km are you planning to walk every day? Buen camino and hope to meet you on this amazing journey.
Tina

Hi Sue,

Based on your title, I'm assuming you're beginning your walk on May 13 from SJPDP. I am starting that day also. How far are you walking the first day? I am going to Orisson on day 1 and then Espinal on day 2. How many km are you planning to walk every day? Buen camino and hope to meet you on this amazing journey.
Tina
Hi Tina
Yes I'm staying in St Jean overnight on the 12th then overnight in Orisson, then I plan to let my body/feet/mind set the pace. Really looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims

Sue

Not sure if you're walking with anyone, but if you're interested, would love to walk to Orisson with you. I am staying in Pamplona on the 12th and the couple I'm staying with will drive me to SJ on the morning of the 13th. I have to get my poncho from the store across the street of the pilgrim's office and then I'll be set. I've got my reservation in Orisson and since it's only about 5 miles, it should be a good day. You can send me a message if interested. Buen camino!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all

Burn Camino
Sue

Hello Sue,

Firstly, David gives you useful advice.

I'm not sure what you mean by problematic feet, however it is not too late to seek professional advice, rather than that from us old Camino smellies:rolleyes:

That said, may I offer three things for you to consider,,,,,,,,

1. If you need to protect your toes only when going downhill it is almost certainly due to your boots/shoes being too loosely laced (see David's suggestion), or your boots/shoes are not large enough to allow your feet to swell (most people find using a half size larger than everyday footwear does the trick).

2. This will sound very 'parental' and 'I know better than you', however, unless you have a condition such as hammer toes never underestimate the negative impact of badly cut toenails combined with footwear that too tight, so maybe review how you cut your toenails?

3. Many experts will tell you that nothing, absolutely nothing can prevent foot problems if you are carrying too much weight, regardless of how well you look after your feet, the distance you walk or the quality of your footwear.

Hope this helps

Buen Camino

Hello Sue,

Firstly, David gives you useful advice.

I'm not sure what you mean by problematic feet, however it is not too late to seek professional advice, rather than that from us old Camino smellies:rolleyes:

That said, may I offer three things for you to consider,,,,,,,,

1. If you need to protect your toes only when going downhill it is almost certainly due to your boots/shoes being too loosely laced (see David's suggestion), or your boots/shoes are not large enough to allow your feet to swell (most people find using a half size larger than everyday footwear does the trick).

2. This will sound very 'parental' and 'I know better than you', however, unless you have a condition such as hammer toes never underestimate the negative impact of badly cut toenails combined with footwear that too tight, so maybe review how you cut your toenails?

3. Many experts will tell you that nothing, absolutely nothing can prevent foot problems if you are carrying too much weight, regardless of how well you look after your feet, the distance you walk or the quality of your footwear.

Hope this helps

Buen Camino
Thank you David . Any advice is welcome. Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back