• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Jean to Santiago May 30-June 30

createspace

Time of past OR future Camino
May 30 to June 30, 2013
I'm 57 and traveled with my 18 year-old son. It was an experience I will never forget. What would I have left at home: sleeping mat, Steripen to disenfect water, and perhaps my sleeping bag and brought a liner instead, journal but brought paper to write on to save weight, ...
What was I so glad I brought: Second Skin, Kinesio and hyperfix tape, collapsible scissors, Croc flip flops which saw me through a few stages, Injinji socks, ear plugs, camera, bag balm, chamois towel, skirt for evening, and boy scout venture patrol pants. I lost my second pair of pants in Pamplona so walked with only one pair of pants that zipped off into shorts. The skirt and nicer top I wore every evening. Advice is to watch the weather reports before you go and not to rely on the weather other people experienced. I kept my money in my zippered pocket on my pants even while sleeping. We walked 6 to 7 hours a day never taking a cab or having our bags transported. I'm so grateful because I now know what I am capable of doing. The pilgrim meals in the evening are 8 to 10 euro a night with private albergues around 10 euro. We rarely stayed in hostels but it was a nice break on I think two occasions. The municipal in Burgos is fantastic. The municipal in Azorfra is fine and gives some privacy. We didn't have bed bug problems.The pilgrim Mass in the evenings at either 6 or 8 PM was a blessing. The sisters in Carrion I will never forget their singing and the blessing after the Mass. 90% of the people are reserving rooms ahead so be prepared to leave by 6 AM and stop by 1 if you want a room. Many people who have walked the Camino multiple times say it's changed a lot in the last two years. It's difficult to walk until you are tired and stop because people are reserving. The joy in Santiago comes in large part I think to having faced the difficulties of the trail. I'm very glad I started in St. Jean.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for this recap - I enjoyed reading all the practical tips as well as hearing about how it went in general. Congratulations on a great accomplishment! I loved your line that you now know what you are capable of doing - I'm sure you return home stronger, carrying many good memories with you. How did your son like it?

Buen Camino as you re-enter "normal" life and God bless!
Faith

He is an Eagle Scout and loves backpacking so he enjoyed it a great deal. He is 18 and was able to enjoy a beer and vino tinto with me as well :D He enjoyed the walking but also the international experience. I am hoping the memories of the Camino will be something we will be able to share over a glass of wine when he's 38 and I'm 78.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
Hi guys, thinking about doing the Camino Frances in September. What experiences have people had with weather and crowds and accommodation during this time? I would plan for about 30 days which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back