• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Santiago in 30 days?

tommycamino

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2022
Hi everyone. I was supposed to leave for Biarritz tomorrow but sadly, there has been a family emergency and I am thinking of postponing a few days. At the moment, I believe that I can start walking my Camino on the 2nd of October. I need to be on a flight home on the 3rd of November at the latest, so hoping to get to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days on the 1st of November.

I know that everyone's Camino, ideals and pace is different. This is my first Camino of any kind but I am 28 m and reasonably fit already.

My first preference would be to walk from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days. Is anyone able to recommend an itinerary from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days? I have already paid for accommodation in SJPP and Roncesvalles because I thought that I would be leaving tomorrow and they can give me a credit. Also, I find the idea of walking across a border over mountains quite romantic. For those reasons, I would prefer to start in SJPP. I would probably need to factor in a couple of rest days too or contingency, so 28 days of walking and 2 rest days.

Is that realistic? I am prepared to be fairly flexible but I do like the idea of SJPP to SDC. I am resigned to missing out Finisterre. I've seen a lot of posts saying to let your body find its rhythm until Logroño.

Alternative ideas:
Be flexible, walk at my pace and then use public transport if needed.
I could even possibly cycle across the Meseta to make up time!
Start in Pamplona. (As above, I am less keen on this).
I'm open to other suggestions

Thanks in advance and hope to see some of you on the Camino! Gracias de antemano.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @tommycamino - welcome to the Forum
Anything is "realistic'. Factor in all the alternative ideas you are mentioning above and there is no reason why you cannot make SdC in 30 days. There are some folks here on the Forum that DID walk it in even less time
re: alternative ideas - it you prefer to start in SJPdP for all romantic reasons then I would say do that and keep alt ##1 & 2 in mind
I wish I thought of renting a bike on Meseta and cycle it.... that would've definitely added to an experience
Slightly off topic - I walked one day with a lady from Guatemala who is a runner, and she told me that she somewhat has problem 'walking' so on Meseta she forwarded her pack on every day and RAN it!!!! (and happy she was)
Good Luck & Buen Camino - again nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it, be persistent and yet flexible enough!
ULTREIA

It's definitely doable in 30 days.
This site has a Plan for 26 days that you can alter to fit your needs :

My best advice is to not push too hard at the beginning. After you have been on the Camino for a week or so you will be able to increase your distance and walk longer stages more easily that you can at the beginning before you get your "Camino legs."

And most importantly look after your feet! Regardless of how fit you are, blisters will really slow you down. As soon as you feel a hot spot STOP and take care of it before it turns into a blister. There are many strategies, but the one that's worked for me is to apply thin flexible "dressing retention" tape to my blister prone areas every morning before I start walking. The friction will occur on the tape, rather than my skin. I like Omnifix and Hypafix tapes which are widely available in farmacias in Spain. You will need scissors to cut it. A small pair of blunt tip scissors is allowed in carry on luggage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My best advice is to not push too hard at the beginning. After you have been on the Camino for a week or so you will be able to increase your distance and walk longer stages more easily that you can at the beginning before you get your "Camino legs."
Thanks. Yes, I've often heard this advice. Maybe take it easy until Logroño?

Just see how you feel. Weather will also play a part in how far you want to walk each day.
Fortunately, it won't be hot in October - heat is what usually saps my energy and keeps me from walking farther.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you like romance, do it in like 26 days and give yourself time to walk to Finn or Muxia! This is because you are a fit 28 y/o male! Now, if you do follow this strategy, I suggest doing longer/slightly challenging stages at the beginning... which seems totally illogical but there is a reason: by doing longer, non traditional stages up front you can take days off the itinerary early, and then meet friends and stuff like maybe after the first week or so. Then, you can establish a more traditional pace and hang out... in my opinion friends are more important walking into Santiago than Pamplona or Burgos. This strategy is not for everyone.

Don't reserve too far in advance and see how you feel...

Personally I didn’t feel like my body had really adapted until I reached Logrono....
Personally....
...After walking a week or so I was sorely tempted to decrease my distances and walk shorter stages​
...My body didn't really adapt until I reached Leon​
:)😇🙄

I would probably need to factor in a couple of rest days too or contingency,
I took a rest day on my first Camino and didn't know what to do with a full day of no walking, but it's always a good idea to allow extra time for illness or injury.

Now I prefer to do a couple of short days in a row rather than a full rest day.
It works out really well for the larger cities. I highly recommend this strategy for Logroño where an evening enjoying the tapas bars on Calle del Laurel has been a highlight if my Camino.

I reserve a private room for the night between the two short days. Usually I'll arrive before noon, and I can usually drop off my backpack before check on time so that I'm free to explore the city without carrying it.

I can get a good night's sleep and sleep in the next morning without being woken by the bag rustlers in an albergue, or a hospitalero kicking me out at 8am. I can relax and enjoy a leisurely breakfast before setting out for another shortish day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok, here's another thing you can do, if you don't want to go "agro", depending on how you feel... do it in 28 days... totally totally doable. Take the bus with your new found friends to Finnesterre the day after you arrive in Santiago. It costs 7 euro. Give yourself enough time to spend 1 night there. Walk to the cliffs and enjoy the sunset. Next day take a bus back to Santiago and make your flight.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I was supposed to leave for Biarritz tomorrow but sadly, there has been a family emergency and I am thinking of postponing a few days. At the moment, I believe that I can start walking my Camino on the 2nd of October. I need to be on a flight home on the 3rd of November at the latest, so hoping to get to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days on the 1st of November.

I know that everyone's Camino, ideals and pace is different. This is my first Camino of any kind but I am 28 m and reasonably fit already.

My first preference would be to walk from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days. Is anyone able to recommend an itinerary from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days? I have already paid for accommodation in SJPP and Roncesvalles because I thought that I would be leaving tomorrow and they can give me a credit. Also, I find the idea of walking across a border over mountains quite romantic. For those reasons, I would prefer to start in SJPP. I would probably need to factor in a couple of rest days too or contingency, so 28 days of walking and 2 rest days.

Is that realistic? I am prepared to be fairly flexible but I do like the idea of SJPP to SDC. I am resigned to missing out Finisterre. I've seen a lot of posts saying to let your body find its rhythm until Logroño.

Alternative ideas:

Thanks in advance and hope to see some of you on the Camino! Gracias de antemano.
You could always grab a taxi for the last 10 kms or so of the day, usually a lot easier than fitting in with a bus schedule, and not too expensive for 10 kms or so. Used to be around 1 euro/km.

One other thought if you are only finishing on that day because you have a plane ticket but not obligations back home…airlines stopped charging change fees on tickets during Covid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Alternative ideas:

Welcome to the forum Tommycamino. Anything is possible on the camino. A resourceful tool could be found here https://godesalco.com/plan/frances. You can "play" around with daily schedules and distances, bearing in mind that each day is different and your "plan" may not actually work the way you might intend, things happen. But, yes 30 days is doable. Just enjoy each day as it comes. BUEN CAMINO!

Sorry to hear about your delay. The walk from SJPP is wonderful, and I don't think 30 days is extreme by any means. I would say that it's not ideal to rush, or feel rushed, along the Camino. If you decide to walk from SJPP, and you're in decent shape, my recommendation would be to walk longer legs early on, to allow yourself more time later to simply embrace the experience. If you are fretting about if you're going to make it in time, that takes away from being present on your journey.
Buen Camino!

Question: Are you confident in walking 27 km +/- daily for 30 days, barring injury / personal emergencies? That is what is needed to complete in 30 days.

Alternately, there are those who have done it in 20 days but had set a minimum of 40 km / day.

Another option may be to maybe bus to somewhere like Logroño as a start point, making a shorter walk but a workable daily walk till arriving in SdC.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My first preference would be to walk from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days. Is anyone able to recommend an itinerary from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days?

Hi! I can share my itinerary I've followed a few times now, with longer days partly because of time restrictions as a teacher, but also because I love walking longer days.

This would need to be adjusted in case albergues are closed for the season (San Bol for example, which has closed Oct. 1st in the past), but the last time I walked was in August 2019 and with rare exception I've only ever pre-booked Portomarin and Santiago. [Day 13 is a short day for me, and Day 14 is also not that long, so you could change up those stops if you wanted.]

The first time I thought about walking longer days was one year when I happened upon a scrap of paper someone had dropped on the trail, with distances mapped out to reach Santiago in time for the July 24th fireworks. I decided it would be fun to see if I could get there in time too, following their list, and it worked!

The schedule I've posted here also allows me to walk to Fisterra within 30 days.

**Oops! Did an edit Sept. 29th because I realised I forgot Zubiri (how could I, one of my favourite places)! Also, I have switched up stopping points through the years (Pamplona vs Cizur Menor; Santo Domingo vs Grañon; León vs La Virgen del Camino, for example) because it's fun to stay in new places.

Day
1. SJPP to Roncesvalles
2. Roncesvalles to Zubiri
3. Zubiri to Pamplona
4. Pamplona to Puente la Reina
5. Puente la Reina to Estella
6. Estella to Los Arcos
7. Los Arcos to Logroño
8. Logroño to Nájera
9. Nájera to Grañon
10. Grañon to Agés
11. Agés to Burgos
12. Burgos to San Bol
13. San Bol to Castrojeriz
14. Castrojeriz to Boadilla
15. Boadilla to Carrión de los Condes
16. Carrión de los Condes to Sahagún
17. Sahagún to Reliegos
18. Reliegos to León
19. León to Hospital de Órbigo
20. Hospital de Órbigo to Rabanal
21. Rabanal to Ponferrada
22. Ponferrada to Ruitelán
23. Ruitelán to Triacastela
24. Triacastela to Portomarin
25. Portomarin to Melide
26. Melide to O Pedrouzo
27. O Pedrouzo to Santiago
(Days 28-30 Santiago to Fisterra)
(Day 31 is often Fisterra to Muxia, though sometimes I wait a couple of days before I walk there.)

Buen Camino!

Rachel

Last edited:

Alternative ideas:

It's tough to walk in 30 days but it's of course doable. I was 69 when I walked in 28 days. Today I would slow down and have a couple of rest days. Your body needs that rest but when you walk you walk quite easily up to 30 km a day.
Buen Camino

I was 58 when I walked my first Camino Francés in 32 days, which included splitting SJPDP to Roncesvalles in two days. There were also quite a few very hot days of 35C+ temps which limited the hours that I walked.

Not only was it my first Camino, it was my first experience long distance walking or carrying a backpack.

I think that a fit 28 year old shouldn't have a problem with 30 days - no need to skip any sections or take a bus.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's definitely doable in 30 days.
This site has a Plan for 26 days that you can alter to fit your needs :

And most importantly look after your feet! Regardless of how fit you are, blisters will really slow you down. As soon as you feel a hot spot STOP and take care of it before it turns into a blister. There are many strategies, but the one that's worked for me is to apply thin flexible "dressing retention" tape to my blister prone areas every morning before I start walking. The friction will occur on the tape, rather than my skin. I like Omnifix and Hypafix tapes which are widely available in farmacias in Spain. You will need scissors to cut it. A small pair of blunt tip scissors is allowed in carry on luggage.
Excellent advice although I’d add that Vaseline your feet before every walk usually prevents blisters

Alternative ideas:

Hi - not a problem. I completed my first Camino from SJPP to Santiago in 28 days. I did not push things particulary and had not planned to complete in this timescale. No rest days but just steady walking. I was 65 at the time so go for it and enjoy.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I just completed my Camino Frances a week ago.

SJPdP to Santiago in 30 walking days, and from there to Finisterre in 3 days.

I am about twice your age, not the fittest, though I have walked this same Camino a few times before, so knew what to expect, knew the trail by heart, and didn’t need maps and such.

So it is definitely doable … though
- you might become part of a family, if others are walking it is 2-3 days more than you … and hence people will know will keep dropping behind
- it might not really be the peaceful walk of a pilgrimage, and more driven by schedule pressure.

If you are a not a purist like me and are open to skipping parts and taking a bus, the following might be good candidates:
- Logroño to Najera (1 day!
- Sahagún to León (2 - 2.5 days)
- León to Hospital de Orbiga (1 day)
- Molinaseca to Trabadelo (1.5 days)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your ability to push legs together will increase as you progress. Don't go mad at the start and make love to your feet every day. One bad blister can knock you out of the race. A good walking pace is 5km an hour. If you hit the road at around 06:00, you will have 20 km done by 10:00. A good brunch and an hour with your feet up, you'll be ready for the next 20, which should leave you standing outside the auberge at 16:00 waiting for it to open.

They’re really not mountains like you might be imagining and the start point is totally arbitrary.

SJPDP to Santiago is entirely possible in 30, as above, I did it in 28 both times I started from SJPDP ; but thereafter I’ve started from Pamplona; which is where ever since I’ve recommended as a start point. It would be a shame not to have a full day or two in Santiago - it’s your destination after all, and a great city.

In October accommodation should be easily found, so no need to book ahead, certainly from Pamplona onwards, which gives you the flexibility to take each day as it comes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked some years back now in winter. I was 69, and it snowed, sleeted, rained and blew most of the way except for some glorious weather through the Meseta. Took me 26 days. Hardly anyone else out except around 20 or so who I crossed paths with on the walk. Most of them did it in around 25 to 26 days. I was on a tight schedule too. The trick is after two or three days to adjust, say Pamplona, try to do an extra one or two villages every day on what the Brierley guide suggests. Every few days you’ll find you’ve jumped a complete stage. Simple as that.
De Colores

Bogong

Alternative ideas:

Alternative ideas:

You're young and fit and with the info being given you can probably do it. I would just add one suggestion/piece of advice. If things get tough, i.e. blisters, tendonitis or any other physical injury or illness, there is no shame in taking public transport to skip a stage. Pretty anyone who has done a few caminos had had to do it at least once. Otherwise, go for it. I suspect it won't be your last camino either.

Listen to your body, being 28 and reasonable fit is no guarantee that things will not happen, if it is important to walk the Camino take your time and do it in two goes reason I say this (have walked 4 times) is there is so much to see take in and enjoy. Far to many race through not see anything, injuries and miss out on all the great people to meet. Thats my advice, oh 4 walks from when I was 64 and not a blister not bad for someone overweight, old (in years) and did not really train till the 3rd walk from Valencia. have a great walk and stop look and say whow I just climbed that mountain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Alternative ideas:

Of course you can do it. Just start walking. Don't fret over taking taxis or biking the Meseta. Heed all advice in this post regarding blisters, etc. As far as planning minimum distances per day or schedules set out in this post, my personal advice is just take each day at a time. I have walked the CF 5 times since I was 57, walking a little slower each year, but longer each day. More and longer breaks as I age. Did SJPP to Santiago 25 days max. 22 last year when I was 60. Never did the same itinerary because I wanted to see and stay in different places. I took extra sight seeing days and also half days now and then. Also, there were some days I felt like 20km and some 50km. You too will have high and low energy days. I never needed rest days, and you may not need them either, so don't assume so. However, by all means, take a rest day if you need it. NO point in risking injury due to fatigue; especially if you have just completed a long up-hill. Most injuries are sustained going down. I always continued past Santiago and got to the Atlantic coast in less than 30 days. I always got a bed for the night, although 2x there were challenges. Don't succumb to the bed rush and the fear of not getting an albergue, which compels many pilgrims to stop early when there may be many more hours of enjoyable walking. I walked with a great many pilgrims keeping nearly my same pace-most 30-40 years old, but plenty in their 50's, and some older than me. I only met a few who had to sleep under the stars, and they all recounted an exciting and memorable experience. JUST DO IT!

- or simply start in Pamplona instead of SJPdP...

The schedule that Camino 2010 gave to get to Finisterre in 30 days is almost identical to my first two Caminos. My third Camino took 33 days as I had my daughter in tow and we took it real easy in the first week. My 30 day Caminos were done when I was 73 and 76 so a 28 year old would have no trouble doing it in 30 days.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back