• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting a few days before SJPP

Audie Ray

Time of past OR future Camino
Late April-Mid May (2016)
Hello! I am spending about 14 days on the camino, starting in late April. I'd like to spend the first 4 or so days in France, and so am planning on starting before St. Jean (perhaps in Orthez?) I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to get information on maps, albergues, etc. on the first portion? I have the "classic" guidebook that gives pretty extensive info after St. Jean, but am wondering about how to plan for the first leg of the trip. Please pardon if this is a naïve question, thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! I am spending about 14 days on the camino, starting in late April. I'd like to spend the first 4 or so days in France, and so am planning on starting before St. Jean (perhaps in Orthez?) I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to get information on maps, albergues, etc. on the first portion? I have the "classic" guidebook that gives pretty extensive info after St. Jean, but am wondering about how to plan for the first leg of the trip. Please pardon if this is a naïve question, thanks!
Welcome Audie Ray! I was provided with the suggestion to start in St. Palais, which I am doing in a mere three weeks. You can find some useful information here. Good luck and Buen Camino.

I'd like to spend the first 4 or so days in France, and so am planning on starting before St. Jean

A standard guide is Miam Miam Dodo (MMD) for the route known as GR 65 Saint Jacques de Compostelle. MMD focuses on accommodation as well as providing maps.

The GR 65 passes through Arthez-de-Bearn, about 10-15 km south east of Orthez. Possibly even closer is Argagnon. These are 100 to 90 km respectively from SJPdP.
Another alternative is the town of Navarrenx, about 65 km from SJPdP.
Once at your chosen start point on GR 65 MMD can help you with the route and accommodation.

Bon chemin

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back