• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting at Astorga in July

Rebequa

Time of past OR future Camino
from Astorga 2021; from SJPP 2023
I'm pleased to say that I will begin my first Camino in Astorga in early July! I have about 12 days to walk to SDC. This forum has helped me choose shoes, socks, sleep gear, rain gear, pack, and -- well, everything! THANK YOU!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rebequa,
Welcome to the Forum. You must be very excited as July is almost here. Astorga is a fine place to begin with many interesting places to visit. Do catch a glimpse as the "bell ringers" perform on the municipal building while you are there.

Let us know how your camino evolves.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
We are excited for you to be starting in Astorga where we happen to live. Well, actually we are 6 km down the Camino direction in Castrillo de los Polvazares. But if you need anything in Astorga and an angel doesn't light on your shoulder, please reach out to us. I'll try and send you a private message with our WhatsApp info. ¡Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Astorga is still my favourite place on the Francés. The Roman archeological museum is worthy of a visit, and there is the open-air site just down the road from the municipal albergue and adjacent to the Spa Via de La Plata hotel. On my 2nd trip I was fortunate to have time to visit the full museum at the Gaudi Episcopate, and dinner in the square with the bell-ringers on the clock of the municipal building is, as @mspath notes, delightful.
Be sure to ask if your accommodations provide a ticket for the pilgrim discount at any of the restaurants in the square.
Also: because Astorga is the reputed birthplace of the tablet chocolate bar, it is also a place that makes beautiful papers (originally for wrapping the bars) so you can find lovely paper there. And, if you’ve forgotten anything, there is a hiker’s supply shop, Hurican, just outside the municipal square.
Buen Camino!

We are excited for you to be starting in Astorga where we happen to live. Well, actually we are 6 km down the Camino direction in Castrillo de los Polvazares. But if you need anything in Astorga and an angel doesn't light on your shoulder, please reach out to us. I'll try and send you a private message with our WhatsApp info. ¡Buen Camino!
Thank you so much!! Indeed, I am a bit nervous about arriving by train at 18:05, which is so close to closing time for the cathedral, etc. I may take a half day the following day to enjoy Astorga instead of walking early in the morning. It is lovely to "know" someone local! :) [Heart, heart symbol] [Thankful hands symbol]

Good luck. My wife and went from Leon in 14 days in 2016 and spent 2 days in Astorga. The day we arrived everything was closed and it rained for the next 24 hours. I was worth it to stay the extra day.

If your interested, here is our blog. Astorga is day 3-4

https://2016jaxcamino.blogspot.com/
Great to know! I was thinking of giving Astorga more time. I will check out your blog!

Astorga is still my favourite place on the Francés. The Roman archeological museum is worthy of a visit, and there is the open-air site just down the road from the municipal albergue and adjacent to the Spa Via de La Plata hotel. On my 2nd trip I was fortunate to have time to visit the full museum at the Gaudi Episcopate, and dinner in the square with the bell-ringers on the clock of the municipal building is, as @mspath notes, delightful.
Be sure to ask if your accommodations provide a ticket for the pilgrim discount at any of the restaurants in the square.
Also: because Astorga is the reputed birthplace of the tablet chocolate bar, it is also a place that makes beautiful papers (originally for wrapping the bars) so you can find lovely paper there. And, if you’ve forgotten anything, there is a hiker’s supply shop, Hurican, just outside the municipal square.
Buen Camino!
This is enormously helpful!! Great to know about these sights, the discount, and Hurricane as well! Thank you! Say, I haven't booked accommodation because I wanted to go to the municipal albergue, but should I? I don't arrive in Astorga from Madrid until 18:00. Any tips appreciated!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is enormously helpful!! Great to know about these sights, the discount, and Hurricane as well! Thank you! Say, I haven't booked accommodation because I wanted to go to the municipal albergue, but should I? I don't arrive in Astorga from Madrid until 18:00. Any tips appreciated!
I have walked twice specifically to stay in the Spa Via de la Plata… but I found it so worthwhile because of the water spa with hot and cold treatments for legs with 400KM and some 15 days or so on them already. That said, it’s a lovely indulgence that I could never afford at home. In Canadian money such a place would run > $500 a night for a room, but Spouse and I splurged on a suite midway through his camino (when I met him in Fromistá) and it came to about $140 Canadian. They provide a great breakfast, and they provide a ticket for the pilgrim dinner in the municipal square around the corner.

On my first camino I spent my second night in AStorga at the municipal albergue, and it was *spartan*. I’m not sure what lies between those ends of the spectrum for accommodations.

I love Astorga. Take some time to enjoy it. I can really recommend El Decanso de Wendy for a great stay. Just near the main square and the main attractions plus the breakfast is outstanding!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love Astorga. Take some time to enjoy it. I can really recommend El Decanso de Wendy for a great stay. Just near the main square and the main attractions plus the breakfast is outstanding!
stayed there years ago and thoroughly endorse your recommendation! :)

Samarkand.

That early July trip work out for you? Let us know where you ultimately stayed in Astorga, and what your experience there was like. An excellent place to start a Camino, btw.

Astoria is worth a full day of acclimatization and exploration. Gaudi Palace, Cathedral, Cathedral Museum, Chocolate Museum, Roman Ruins Museum, the works.... I plan to give myself one when I pass through again in September. No albergues for snoring old me, however! Back in January when things looked bad and the getting was good, I booked a private room for two nights at a hotel on the Plaza Mayor at a price none of us will ever see again.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back