• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Camino Portugues on May24th

travellingedwards

Time of past OR future Camino
LE PUY, CARCASSONNE (2018)
Hey peregrinos
My husband and I are Australian. Septuagenarians. We are starting our first Camino on May 24th from Porto. We plan to reach Santiago on June 7th. We will walk to Matosinhos then inland to Rates. We hope that we might have time to include the Variante Spirituale between Pontevedra and Padron. We think we are pretty prepared with packs weighing about 5.5kgs minus water and snacks.
We are just wondering if we can manage with just silk liners and merino wool thermal underwear to sleep in. Otherwise we will bring our down liners too. All advice welcome. We have been checking out posts from previous peregrinos and now very excited.
Shirley and Ken

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the route several times. We allways found blankets in albergues anyway in Portugal.
We have no experiences with having blankets in Spanish albergues, anyway not on the Portuguese caminho. In one of he albergues on the camino Ingles were no blankets so we slept with fleecevests on in our liners.But companion walkers will have more info for you about the blankets in Spain.
Thermo underwear is imho not necessairy if you walk

Do not forget to stay at Casa Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. The best place to stay on the Caminho Portuguese. But reserve on beforehand . There was a lot written on a different thread here how to reserve.

Bom caminho

Thankyou Albertinho. I think we are a bit concerned about cleanliness of blankets bedbugs etc. I had heard about Casa da Fernanda. I am sure it is very popular. I guess we should try to book asap. Thankyou fir your speedy reply.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thankyou Albertinho. I think we are a bit concerned about cleanliness of blankets bedbugs etc. I had heard about Casa da Fernanda. I am sure it is very popular. I guess we should try to book asap. Thankyou fir your speedy reply.
I agree with you but what is the alternative ? We have long silk sleeves and keep the blankets not as far as our chest..or to take your own sleepingbag with you.

If you have problems with booking Fernanda's, give me a personal message-click on my avatar and you'll see "start a conversation- I speak to Fernanda and her husband once to twice a week.

Bom caminho

I agree with you but what is the alternative ? We have long silk sleeves and keep the blankets not as far as our chest..or to take your own sleepingbag with you.

If you have problems with booking Fernanda's, give me a personal message-click on my avatar and you'll see "start a conversation- I speak to Fernanda and her husband once to twice a week.

Bom caminho
Thanks again I think we will keep the down liners in the pack. I will work out which night we will reach Fernandas and try to book and let you know how I go. We are leaving Australia in just 2 weeks to board a bird watching cruise of mid atlantic from Ushuaia in Argentina to Cape Verde. After hiking there a few weeks we fly to Lisbon. We plan touring Portugal by car and day hike in various national parks before finishing with the camino. We will leave our surplus gear in Santiago before driving back to Porto to start the camino. We are super excited. Thanks for your support. shirley

............We will walk to Matosinhos then inland to Rates. We hope that we might have time to include the Variante Spirituale between Pontevedra and Padron...........

My husband and I have the same plan and the same timetable, but month earlier. First time. We take light summer sleeping bags (500 g). Old buildings may not have heating. We think about Casa Fernanda also. Bom caminho (I say this for the first time :))

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bom Caminho to you as well Mrs Gogo. I am so looking forward to it. Stay in touch. It will be good to learn how you got on as we follow in your steps. Shirley

Hey peregrinos
My husband and I are Australian. Septuagenarians. We are starting our first Camino on May 24th from Porto. We plan to reach Santiago on June 7th. We will walk to Matosinhos then inland to Rates. We hope that we might have time to include the Variante Spirituale between Pontevedra and Padron. We think we are pretty prepared with packs weighing about 5.5kgs minus water and snacks.
We are just wondering if we can manage with just silk liners and merino wool thermal underwear to sleep in. Otherwise we will bring our down liners too. All advice welcome. We have been checking out posts from previous peregrinos and now very excited.
Shirley and Ken
Silk liners were perfect for us! Much preferred the Portuguese stretch. The Spanish towns look a bit scruffy by comparison to Portugal and everything was more expensive. Also busy accommodation wise once in Spain and we were glad we had pre booked accommodation.

When did you walk the Portuguese caminho? Did you stay in albergues or private places? Did you only book in Spain or in Portugal as well? Did you use just silk liner or did you add albeaddrsblankets?

Bom caminho
I emailed Fernanda but have not had a reply. Also could not find start a conversation link on your avatar. Anyway I would appreciate very much if you could ask Fernanda if she has room for us on MAY 28TH. Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When did you walk the Portuguese caminho? Did you stay in albergues or private places? Did you only book in Spain or in Portugal as well? Did you use just silk liner or did you add albeaddrsblankets?

I emailed Fernanda but have not had a reply. Also could not find start a conversation link on your avatar. Anyway I would appreciate very much if you could ask Fernanda if she has room for us on MAY 28TH. Thanks
Stayed in a combo of albergues and private places and a couple of hotels, 1 campsite. I pre booked the lot as I can't be bothered trying to find somewhere to sleep once I am on the walk....less flexibility, but I know how far I like to walk, so it worked out well.

Thanks Gittiharre. I think we shall prebook some places too.please ignore comment about Fernanda that was meant to be sent to Albertinho.
Bom Caminho wherever you travel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the route several times. We allways found blankets in albergues anyway in Portugal.
We have no experiences with having blankets in Spanish albergues, anyway not on the Portuguese caminho. In one of he albergues on the camino Ingles were no blankets so we slept with fleecevests on in our liners.But companion walkers will have more info for you about the blankets in Spain.
Thermo underwear is imho not necessairy if you walk

Do not forget to stay at Casa Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. The best place to stay on the Caminho Portuguese. But reserve on beforehand . There was a lot written on a different thread here how to reserve.

Bom caminho
Thanks albertinho. Clicking your avatar does not come up with a start a conversation link for me. I also tried from the web page but that did not work either so I will try this way. I have not had a reply from my email to Fernanda. We would really like to stay with her on night of May28th. I have booked many nights in advance rather than use the albergues unless there was nowhere else listed. I figured that would leave spaces for those who could not afford to pay higher prices for pensions etc. we are very happy to donate the equivalent of pension price to Fernanda too.
Bom Caminho. Ultreia. Shirley

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back