• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting CF April 1st and jitters just hit me...

Roger Pimenta

Time of past OR future Camino
As of March 20th 2017, no completed Camino's yet. Changing that shortly!
Hi Everyone,

First off I must give a huge thanks to everyone that’s put so much energy into creating, managing and contributing to this community. Like so many others, I truly appreciate all the help and insight into what I can expect on my first Camino. Which lead me to this forum and the Camino Frances! I quite literally decided to walk the CF less than 7 days ago and have been scrambling to do the research, pick up some last minute item and book everything up. Done! WHEW!! Ready to go... In actuality I’m fortunate to travel a lot for work to some very unique places so I didn’t need all that much. Just a lot of reassurance that I was going to be prepared for what lies ahead and this forum was instrumental in putting a small portion of my mind at ease. So I thank you all in advance and for ever more at the advice you have all shared! I have known about the Camino since I was a child but set it aside as a romantic dream that simply wouldn't fit into my schedule. Well... no more excuses. We're going!

Gitters aside, I myself, I'll be landing in Paris Thursday March 30th and heading straight to CDG and then SJPP via planes, trains and more trains,,, I think. Last leg from Bayonne to SJPP has not been decided but worse case, bus, train, taxi,,, doesn't matter much to me. I figure I'll meet some folks on the way and maybe come up with a plan. If not, no biggie either as I'm very used to travelling alone on extended assignments in far less hospitable places than France :)

My plan is to lounge around Friday the 31st in SJPP to help with the jet lag, take care of the paper work, and hopefully start my journey the morning of April 1st. The path to Roncesvalles (NR or VR) doesn't quite matter to me at this stage. The weather will dictate that on Saturday morning and I'm good with either. I’m in no rush and nor will I risk life and limb to say “I did that trail” as a dead man can’t tell the story.

I did however notice that many folks on these forums are leaving April 2nd, 3rd, and so on just days after my planned start. I can't help but think, am I missing something or is this just timing? Will I be the only pilgrim on the 1st heading out? April fools joke? Or is it bad luck to walk on the 1st? If that’s the case please let me know as I don't mind delaying a day more...lol. Personally, I'm hoping to get to Santiago May 3/4 and spend a day or more there to make sure I can attend the mass on Friday the 5th. The Botafumerio is something I don't want to miss and from what I’ve researched it is only used on the Friday masses or special occasions. Not sure if this is totally accurate but I believe it to be.

I myself am freelance photographer and while this journey on the Camino is strictly personal, for reasons so far outside of work, I will be carrying both a camera and small tablet. I have read a lot of the back and forth discussions between the purists, the artists and the casual walkers all arguing their reason to carry or not. I personally respect them all. But I am at my most comfortable, and my most enjoyable moments in life are when taking my time to stop, compose and shoot an image that tells a story or captures a moment in time that will never repeat itself. Cliché maybe, but it’s the reality for me. I don’t go anywhere without my camera and the Camino is no exception. Just that instead of the usual 30 kilograms of gear, this time I’m down to 1.2 pounds. Don’t worry, I won’t ask you to carry it and I will most certainly be happy to take your photo if you ask and return the favour…

Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you. If your dates line up with mine above lets connect and share a drink or meal in SJPP or along the way.

Buen Camino!!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino, Roger!
Your plan sounds super.
The April 1 thing is because many people want to walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles on the Napoleon Route--which is closed from November until April. ore if weather does not permit. If so, never mind--you're not missing out. The Valcarolos Route is every bit as gorgeous, and actually is the older and more 'authentic' of the two, Hollywood hype aside.
Happy walking , happy composing, and wishing you a wonderful walk!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Everyone,

First off I must give a huge thanks to everyone that’s put so much energy into creating, managing and contributing to this community. Like so many others, I truly appreciate all the help and insight into what I can expect on my first Camino. Which lead me to this forum and the Camino Frances! I quite literally decided to walk the CF less than 7 days ago and have been scrambling to do the research, pick up some last minute item and book everything up. Done! WHEW!! Ready to go... In actuality I’m fortunate to travel a lot for work to some very unique places so I didn’t need all that much. Just a lot of reassurance that I was going to be prepared for what lies ahead and this forum was instrumental in putting a small portion of my mind at ease. So I thank you all in advance and for ever more at the advice you have all shared! I have known about the Camino since I was a child but set it aside as a romantic dream that simply wouldn't fit into my schedule. Well... no more excuses. We're going!

Gitters aside, I myself, I'll be landing in Paris Thursday March 30th and heading straight to CDG and then SJPP via planes, trains and more trains,,, I think. Last leg from Bayonne to SJPP has not been decided but worse case, bus, train, taxi,,, doesn't matter much to me. I figure I'll meet some folks on the way and maybe come up with a plan. If not, no biggie either as I'm very used to travelling alone on extended assignments in far less hospitable places than France :)

My plan is to lounge around Friday the 31st in SJPP to help with the jet lag, take care of the paper work, and hopefully start my journey the morning of April 1st. The path to Roncesvalles (NR or VR) doesn't quite matter to me at this stage. The weather will dictate that on Saturday morning and I'm good with either. I’m in no rush and nor will I risk life and limb to say “I did that trail” as a dead man can’t tell the story.

I did however notice that many folks on these forums are leaving April 2nd, 3rd, and so on just days after my planned start. I can't help but think, am I missing something or is this just timing? Will I be the only pilgrim on the 1st heading out? April fools joke? Or is it bad luck to walk on the 1st? If that’s the case please let me know as I don't mind delaying a day more...lol. Personally, I'm hoping to get to Santiago May 3/4 and spend a day or more there to make sure I can attend the mass on Friday the 5th. The Botafumerio is something I don't want to miss and from what I’ve researched it is only used on the Friday masses or special occasions. Not sure if this is totally accurate but I believe it to be.

I myself am freelance photographer and while this journey on the Camino is strictly personal, for reasons so far outside of work, I will be carrying both a camera and small tablet. I have read a lot of the back and forth discussions between the purists, the artists and the casual walkers all arguing their reason to carry or not. I personally respect them all. But I am at my most comfortable, and my most enjoyable moments in life are when taking my time to stop, compose and shoot an image that tells a story or captures a moment in time that will never repeat itself. Cliché maybe, but it’s the reality for me. I don’t go anywhere without my camera and the Camino is no exception. Just that instead of the usual 30 kilograms of gear, this time I’m down to 1.2 pounds. Don’t worry, I won’t ask you to carry it and I will most certainly be happy to take your photo if you ask and return the favour…

Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you. If your dates line up with mine above lets connect and share a drink or meal in SJPP or along the way.

Buen Camino!!

Roger:

Jitters, as you refer to them, are normal. I believe most everyone has them when doing something different for the first time.

I would not worry about being the only person leaving SJPdP on April 1st. There will be many starting the same day and many more along the way. Hopefully there will be good weather which should provide you with many wonderful views.

There should be local train or bus transport from the Bayonne train station. I forget the time of the last train but it will be listed in the thread on travel to and from the Camino.

Thirty-three/four days should be more than adequate. Just start slowly and ease your body into walking a half marathon a day. Leave the rest up to the Camino to be your guide.

Ultreya,
Joe

Paperwork in SJPdP is three minutes! Meet pilgrims on the train/bus and wander the village. Stores close midday, so it is a good time to eat, talk, and have a drink. Real food is late, but you will be able to find something in the evening.

There is no rush; it is unseasonably cold in Galicia. They just had the latest snow in memory in Palas de

Many albergues will open Easter week, so expect a fair number of closures until then. Major stops from Pamplona onward have been open.

Buen Camino.

So excited for you. What a time to go over, you may go over some snow drifts on the mountain if you take the Napoleon Route. The Amis St Jacques in St Jean will let you know if it is manageable though.

Just remember to take food with you, when I went up over up Valcarlos I did it all excited in 5 hours (in some rain) but almost collapsed when I was in the albergue from low blood sugar and tiredness. So eat, eat more, eat as much as you can. Leave early and take your time, don't rush like I did. By early I mean about 7 or 7:30. Buen Camino.

Here is the forecast link https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/14-days/col-de-bentarte_spain_3128263

That link is for the near top of the Napoleon Route. at Col de Bentarte.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Roger, with that attitude toward travel and pre-planning and photography I don't think you can go wrong. That is the same attitude I travel with and have been rewarded in so many ways. I wish you all the best and I look forward to seeing your photos when you are ready to share them.

Buen Camino!

Mike

It will be cold the first couple of days, so carry hard boiled eggs and cheese to keep your caloric level up enough to keep you warm. I do lots of photos also. I use a phablet instead of a tablet and I back up my photos onto it using a micro usb card reader. Every extra gram counts, especially when things get a bit tough. Carrying extra weight has no advantages so lighten up as much as possible. Weigh your pack. Simple, get on a scale then slip on the pack. 23 pounds or less is what to aim for. When you'll add a liter or two plus some food your pack will be heavier by 4 to 6 pounds.
Easter is April 16 this year. You'll get the hang of it before nothing works so ask around for advice before the Easter Bunny kaboshes your camino. Take lotsa portraits and get their email addresses. Most people I've met on the trail don't take professional quality portraits and really appreciate the one you will send to them instantly via your phablet at the end of every day. Your paths will cross somewhere along the trail and this will cement a great bond. Been there, done that. You're about to go on a life changing adventure, make the best of it. ☺

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You sound as cool as a cucumber and your plans sound great to me. Bring your camera and, if the Napoleon route is open and you take it, you can document and post here what it looks like on its inauguration day.

There are many more walkers than those who use English speaking forums. I have only ever met one other person who is on this forum whilst on camino. You won't be alone!

Have a great Camino. Like many of us, you will likely come back to do other routes in the future. It gets in your blood very easily.
April is a great month to go. Not as busy, not as hot as summer. Everything is so green and lots of little streams everywhere.
Have been doing sections of Frances the last three years and overall, the weather has been perfect for walking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Folks.. Again, thank you for all the well wishes, additional advice and for adding me to the first week of April thread Jimmy! I haven't quite figured out how to respond to each of you individually so apologies for another post but I hope you all get an alert with my thanks!

Great reminder about the additional weight of water and food Dandabika! Totally slipped my mind. I think at the moment I'm at roughly 17 pounds which is probably a pound or two over my target of 16, but that includes my camera and mini tablet.

My "first world" problem is really only a mid shoe to wear. I have my boots which I plan to walk in the majority of the time. Flip flops for the showers which as I've learned are essential... but now I'm pondering a light runner type shoe for meandering days. The additional weight might not be warranted but I figure I can always ship something home if the weather warms up and the boots are no longer needed.

Ohh.. one last question for you folks with regards to a mid layer and any suggestions. I have both a fleece and a down jacket. The jacket is extremely light, thin, warm and folds into itself for packing. I am accustomed to cold climates being from Canada and working quite a bit in the polar regions I am very comfortable where others are shivering. I already have a good rain jacket to compliment so I don't want to bring both a fleece and down jacket. Also have a micro down vest that I haven't considered till now ;-) Funny that all my travels are usually to hot arid deserts, or blistering cold climates. Rarely do I travel to temperate areas like Northern Spain for this sort of journey.

Thank you all again!!

It will be cold the first couple of days, so carry hard boiled eggs and cheese to keep your caloric level up enough to keep you warm. I do lots of photos also. I use a phablet instead of a tablet and I back up my photos onto it using a micro usb card reader. Every extra gram counts, especially when things get a bit tough. Carrying extra weight has no advantages so lighten up as much as possible. Weigh your pack. Simple, get on a scale then slip on the pack. 23 pounds or less is what to aim for. When you'll add a liter or two plus some food your pack will be heavier by 4 to 6 pounds.
Easter is April 16 this year. You'll get the hang of it before nothing works so ask around for advice before the Easter Bunny kaboshes your camino. Take lotsa portraits and get their email addresses. Most people I've met on the trail don't take professional quality portraits and really appreciate the one you will send to them instantly via your phablet at the end of every day. Your paths will cross somewhere along the trail and this will cement a great bond. Been there, done that. You're about to go on a life changing adventure, make the best of it. ☺

Your comments put a smile on my face. I'm actually an editorial and documentary photographer so people have always been the main subject in any work I do. I dabble in all sort of other photography (landscape, travel, studio, etc.) but people, their stories and their environment is what drives me. I really hope and would gratefully capture and share as many moments with the forum and people as I'm allowed to. I'm only taking a DSLR and one lens along with an ipad mini and this is really only for rough edits and sharing of photos. Lately, mobile editing has changed the way so many of us work in the field and it's been a blessing to work with much smaller devices. Still, the iphone or phablet is just as good and a solid backup.

Thank you again! Can't wait!!!

Okay, I have to ask. What is the one lens you have chosen? I can get down to two (24 f2.8/85 f1.8)

Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Roger, you mentioned the Botafumeiro in Friday the 5th, I am starting in Leon in early June, and was planning to be at SdC a Friday for just this same reason. I came across the following page on the Cathedral site which seems to indicate that:

"Note: Until further notice Botafumeiro will not work at the 7:30 pm Mass on Fridays."

http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/en/node/482

I hope this is not the case, but was hoping someone here on the forum can confirm this, and when the change began, and if there is any plan to resume on Fridays?

Roger, you mentioned the Botafumeiro in Friday the 5th, I am starting in Leon in early June, and was planning to be at SdC a Friday for just this same reason. I came across the following page on the Cathedral site which seems to indicate that:

"Note: Until further notice Botafumeiro will not work at the 7:30 pm Mass on Fridays."

http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/en/node/482

I hope this is not the case, but was hoping someone here on the forum can confirm this, and when the change began, and if there is any plan to resume on Fridays?
The botafumeiro swings very often, often more than once a day. Pop your head in before mass, if the ropes are dangling down that means it will swing.

Hey Folks.. Again, thank you for all the well wishes, additional advice and for adding me to the first week of April thread Jimmy! I haven't quite figured out how to respond to each of you individually so apologies for another post but I hope you all get an alert with my thanks!

Great reminder about the additional weight of water and food Dandabika! Totally slipped my mind. I think at the moment I'm at roughly 17 pounds which is probably a pound or two over my target of 16, but that includes my camera and mini tablet.

My "first world" problem is really only a mid shoe to wear. I have my boots which I plan to walk in the majority of the time. Flip flops for the showers which as I've learned are essential... but now I'm pondering a light runner type shoe for meandering days. The additional weight might not be warranted but I figure I can always ship something home if the weather warms up and the boots are no longer needed.

Ohh.. one last question for you folks with regards to a mid layer and any suggestions. I have both a fleece and a down jacket. The jacket is extremely light, thin, warm and folds into itself for packing. I am accustomed to cold climates being from Canada and working quite a bit in the polar regions I am very comfortable where others are shivering. I already have a good rain jacket to compliment so I don't want to bring both a fleece and down jacket. Also have a micro down vest that I haven't considered till now ;-) Funny that all my travels are usually to hot arid deserts, or blistering cold climates. Rarely do I travel to temperate areas like Northern Spain for this sort of journey.

Thank you all again!!
Roger I'd suggest the fleece definitely and the micro vest. Weather is unseasonably cold right now . Buen camino

Hi Everyone,

Buen Camino!!

See this post:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...afumeiro-19-30-friday-mass.45019/#post-473165

Where it says:
If you look at marly camino schedule, it always swings when their group comes to the pilgrim mass.

You will see that on May 5 they guarantee that the botafumerio will swing!

Okay, I have to ask. What is the one lens you have chosen? I can get down to two (24 f2.8/85 f1.8)

Mike
Hi Mike! Believe me, if weight wasn't an issue I'd bring 2-3 lenses on this trip. Quite frankly I wanted to bring my full frame mirrorless red dot but opted for the larger DSLR for it's better low light, video and battery performance.

Lens wise, I struggled as I always do with what to take. I typically carry and shoot a huge array but this trip being very personal and not work in any way, I wanted a perfect mix of wide, mid and some reach if possible without relying on cropping. I went back and forth between the 24/1.4 and the 35/1.4 which when on assignments, is perfect for my style of shooting but I'll miss the mid for portraits. I believe the 24mm is the best overall mix for landscapes and the 35mm for environmental portraits with people as the focus. For straight up portrait work, the 50mm 1.2 is my favourite travel lens and only because the 85 1.2 is just huge and unmanageable for travel. The 85/1.8 might be the better option for sure.

So in the end, I unfortunately decided to leave the prime lenses at home and go with my 24-70/2.8. It gets me the 24, the 35, and the 50-70 at a 2.8 for some good low light but the trade off being it's is a little heavier than either the 24 and 35. But another major factor for me is that the 24-70 I own is completely weather sealed where as the 35 isn't. I've shot with the 24-70 in everything from torrential downpours to blizzards to deserts and it's just a tank of a lens. Dare I say almost indestructible :)

I'm a huge believer in large prints hence the preference for prime lenses as zooms will never be quite as sharp as a prime 24/35/ or 85, but if I have the time I usually focus stack landscape shots along with multiple overlapping frames to cover the entire scene to produce the best quality. But with people, I love the spontaneous natural look and I can get away with the zoom here.

Long response to your quick questions but I get a little overly passionate when it comes to cameras. Apologies for the ramble!

Cheers!

Roger I'd suggest the fleece definitely and the micro vest. Weather is unseasonably cold right now . Buen camino
Thank you Grace. As luck would have it, I called up a friend who works at a local outfitter just this afternoon and got a great discount on a nano down jacket that weighs 280g so rushed over to pick it up. I think this with the marino wool base layer should be enough. If needed I can always throw on another thin layer and have the rain shell for back up.

Appreciate your thoughts!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Roger,

The 24-70 sounds like a great choice for your shooting style. I sold mine a couple years ago as it seldom got used as I shoot mostly landscape and wildlife. The issue for me, on the camino, hasn't been the weight but the bulk. I feel the need to have it with me at all times and I don't ever want to set it down for fear that it would disappear. That is the reason that this year is the first camino I am considering taking the full frame body. I too appreciate the weather sealing on the pro bodies/lenses and have been caught in very heavy rain due to a tornado. The equipment fared better than I did.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back