• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting CF September 1, 2021

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

I am Bryon and will be starting on the Camino September 1, 2021. Will be flying in to Madrid. Will be starting at St. Jean . Tried to do it last March 1, 2020. So nice to be excited about something again.
YES! I'm still deciding on whether to walk the Primitivo vs the CF. I have approx 12 days to walk. Also am wondering what time of year in 2022.

I am Bryon and will be starting on the Camino September 1, 2021.
Good news! Welcome to your first - and hopefully, not last - post.

If you look at the forum calendar here, and find September, you'll see that some other people are already planning to be there in SJPP that day! Here are instructions on how to add your own thread to the calendar. The post is old but I think the instructions are still basically correct. Let us know if you have any trouble with the calendar. My suggestion is that people putting their threads on the calendar might want to add their forum names to the thread title, so it will show up on the calendar.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,

I am Bryon and will be starting on the Camino September 1, 2021. Will be flying in to Madrid. Will be starting at St. Jean . Tried to do it last March 1, 2020. So nice to be excited about something again.
Hey Bryon, I am from Canada. I am starting from SJPdP on Aug 30. I too have been planning. Feeling like we are on the home stretch now!! Wahoo!! Maybe our paths will cross along the way. All the best, Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Flying out of Vegas on the 8th, should be in St. Jean on the 9th. Made in from Burgos to Santiago in 18, this time want to get to Burgos. At 76, not too many Caminos left in me.

Wife Teresa and myself London GW August 27th, then to Biarritz Fr for a night followed by train to St. Jean. Leave in the 31st and booked Orisson Refuge. So we’re splitting Stage 1 into 2 days which means we should meet some of you on the trail! We are mixing it up. Walking most the way but biking between Burgos and Leon. Buen Camino everyone from Oregon!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Bryon, I am from Canada. I am starting from SJPdP on Aug 30. I too have been planning. Feeling like we are on the home stretch now!! Wahoo!! Maybe our paths will cross along the way. All the best, Buen Camino.
Hello there we have been trying to planning our 3rd Camino since just before the pandemic hit and have plans to start again in the middle of August to do the Camino Ingles then the Camino Frances again. We are from Ontario, Canada and was just wondering what airline you booked with because it seems like the ones we had used before won't start flying until July so we have no way of booking. Is it hard to leave Canada to fly to Spain and France from Canada then and when we have these restrictions on non-essential travel will be lifted. I really would like to start getting our plans together if there is a way out of Canada at that time, we have both been fully vaccinated so that won't be a issue. Could you please get back to me and let me know. Thank you!!

Good luck fellow Manitoban. How did you arrange flights? Peg- TO-Frankfurt- Madrid- train? I couldn’t find return flights on AC.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
YES! I'm still deciding on whether to walk the Primitivo vs the CF. I have approx 12 days to walk. Also am wondering what time of year in 2022.
I have about the same - 12-14 days. From what I read, the Primitivo can be done in that time. I'm looking at end August/early September

I think the best time to walk is either early Spring or late fall. It is a tradeoff. From May to early October the Camino especially on the Frances will be crowded. We have no idea what will be Covid or travel wise in 2022 but it seems most pilgrims on this website at least are waiting until 2022. I didn't walk the Primitivo but I walked the Norte in 2018. Virtually all the pilgrims I knew split for the Primitivo. This was in mid November. I saw many of them in Santiago and actually met 3 in Arzua where the Norte meets the Frances and they said two things. It was tougher than the first couple of weeks on the Norte and that was tough and it was beautiful. The tradeoff is the times I mentioned it will be colder, probably more rain, wider temperature variations and probably some snow. But I would rather walk in cold I mean freezing or below than bake in the sun. I would also rather walk in alot more solitude than be surrounded by pilgrims. My opinion is really only right for me. Haha

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes fellow pilgrims...the Camino is opening and my hope last March for an August 27 start in SJPDP is well within reach. I'll stop at Orisson on the 28th and then press on for the next 35 days, or so. I walk slowly, so there is every chance Byron and others will catch me. See you all along the Way!

Hello,
I am am a first timer from South Somerset, UK, starting from Leon mid Sept. So looking forward to it. Bought my trail runners yesterday to break in ready.
Sarah x

Hello there we have been trying to planning our 3rd Camino since just before the pandemic hit and have plans to start again in the middle of August to do the Camino Ingles then the Camino Frances again. We are from Ontario, Canada and was just wondering what airline you booked with because it seems like the ones we had used before won't start flying until July so we have no way of booking. Is it hard to leave Canada to fly to Spain and France from Canada then and when we have these restrictions on non-essential travel will be lifted. I really would like to start getting our plans together if there is a way out of Canada at that time, we have both been fully vaccinated so that won't be a issue. Could you please get back to me and let me know. Thank you!!
Are you not concerned regarding the $2000 Cdn. bill for a hotel stay upon returning? This may be lifted by the time you want to go ?????

Good luck fellow Manitoban. How did you arrange flights? Peg- TO-Frankfurt- Madrid- train? I couldn’t find return flights on AC.
I’m from the Peg as well and have done this route 3 times. I always book my flight to Paris and take the train to SJPP. The train leaves Paris by noon and arrives in SJPP by 7:30 that night. That allows me to sleep on the train. Then after the walk, I fly from Santiago back to Winnipeg. Unfortunately, the flight costs have gone up substantially. Hope this helps.

I too started my first Camino in SJPdP on September 1, back in 2016. I also stayed at Orisson, which was great. I arrived in Santiago on 5 October but along the way fell in love with Astorga and now I live here. We are enjoying the people and life in Spain. Let us know when you get to this area and maybe we can have a meal together and hear your story.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am am a first timer from South Somerset, UK, starting from Leon mid Sept. So looking forward to it. Bought my trail runners yesterday to break in ready.
Sarah x
Hi Sarah, I’m from Devon and hope to be picking up the trail in mid Sept from Sahagun which is 50 km further back from Leon having reached that point in 2016 when I had to break off. I can’t wait to complete my Camino. Perhaps our paths will cross along with Bryon and others starting out two weeks earlier ? Ian
Hello,
Sarah x

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,

Hi Byron,
May see you en route as I plan to leave SJPdP on the first, just awaiting the train seat booking systems to open at the end of June ticket already bought.
Training in progress (well a good few km each week), but must work on my Spanish!
96 days to go!

Planning on starting from SJPdP on Sunday 5th September. A whole week behind you S.Duffenais!!! Oh hope our plans manifest ok; its been a long lockdown; so looking forward to getting back there. Have great trip and Buen Camino!!
Liam, my plan is to start the same day as you! Maybe we will see each other.

We are planning to start the CF on August 18th 2021. We have booked with Westjet to Gatwick, then Easyjet to Biarritz. Shuttle from SJPdP will pick us up at the airport and bring us to SJPdP. Obviously tickets can be changed depending on UK and France being open to Canadians. With our vaccine rollout in high hear I am optimistic.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are planning to start the CF on August 18th 2021. We have booked with Westjet to Gatwick, then Easyjet to Biarritz. Shuttle from SJPdP will pick us up at the airport and bring us to SJPdP. Obviously tickets can be changed depending on UK and France being open to Canadians. With our vaccine rollout in high hear I am optimistic.
I booked AC from Wpg to TO, TO to Paris without any difficulty. Taking regional Air France flight to Biarritz. I took my chances when I booked my flights over a month ago. I have the option of changing dates if we can’t get our collective shit together by then. But I am feeling optimistic =)

Are you not concerned regarding the $2000 Cdn. bill for a hotel stay upon returning? This may be lifted by the time you want to go ?????
Personally I feel that there will be lifting of travel restrictions and isolation upon return, as many nations have done this for the vaccinated population. But having said that, what will be will be. I will do what I have to do when the time comes. That is my perspective realizing that I am fortunate to be in the position I am in. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I booked with Air Canada WPG-TO, TO - Paris return with no problems =)

Hey Brian - We are attempting the same time as you. Maybe we'll meet on the trail. Bob
I will be looking. Still need to decide how I am going to get from Madrid to SJDP. Plane, Train or Bus. Tough decision I know.😉

I booked AC from Wpg to TO, TO to Paris without any difficulty. Taking regional Air France flight to Biarritz. I took my chances when I booked my flights over a month ago. I have the option of changing dates if we can’t get our collective shit together by then. But I am feeling optimistic =)
Great to hear, thank you!! Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have a great Camino!
Hi Bryon
Started? I’m a day or so ahead of you. Stayed at the new Alberge Borda night 1 absolutely fantastic, next stop was Albergue Haizea in E
Got to Zubiri and everywhere was ‘complete’ so I’ve had to go nearly to Pamplona in an old pilgrims Albergue; bag carried to dormitory by host!
But the moral is book ahead, against my better wishes. Even the taxis are doing great business by running pilgrims to the next available bed or room, so you may have to wait for a taxi.
Burn Camino
Bob

Hi Bryon
Started? I’m a day or so ahead of you. Stayed at the new Alberge Borda night 1 absolutely fantastic, next stop was Albergue Haizea in E
Got to Zubiri and everywhere was ‘complete’ so I’ve had to go nearly to Pamplona in an old pilgrims Albergue; bag carried to dormitory by host!
But the moral is book ahead, against my better wishes. Even the taxis are doing great business by running pilgrims to the next available bed or room, so you may have to wait for a taxi.
Burn Camino
Bob
I am booked thur one town after Pamplona. After that as she goes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.