• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting first Camino fm SJPP Apr 29

LinH

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting first one: 29/4/2015
Hello ALL! I'm Lin from Virginia/USA starting my first Camino this April 29th. Plan on taking it slow and steady as hope to make it all the way to Finisterre and Muxa. [Hey, I've two months sabbatical time to kill so figure once I [hopefully] get to Santiago, I may as well just keep on going!]
I am super excited, already counting down the days!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello ALL! I'm Lin from Virginia/USA starting my first Camino this April 29th. Plan on taking it slow and steady as hope to make it all the way to Finisterre and Muxa. [Hey, I've two months sabbatical time to kill so figure once I [hopefully] get to Santiago, I may as well just keep on going!]
Hy LinH , you will have a great time on your two month journy. I wish you a Buen Camino , Peter .

Welcome Lin! It will be here before you know it.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Enjoy every single step!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Lin. I am starting my first Camino on the 13th of April from SJPP. I too am super excited. Those buffterflies are anticipation and trepidation. Am I strong enough? Perhaps we will meet on the path. I am Australian. It has been very hot here so the cool of The Pyrenees will be an adjustment. Are you taking waterproof shoes? This is my biggest dilemma at the moment, that and world peace. My gortex solomons are very hot and I got heat rash the other day. I also have some non waterproof keens that I love, but I have rarely seen snow in my life, and have never walked in it. So the snow possibility, and chance of rain - something rare where I'm from - is making me think I'll need the waterproof shoes. Buen camino mi amiga. Hasta la vista. Helen

Welcome Helen and Buen Camino!

Hi: I saw your question on shoes. I would bring the Keens as it is pretty slushily through May. The weather is horrid right now, but I expect there to be a lot of melting going on! We're walking in spring and from all my readings, this is a time of wet weather. I'm right behind you with a stay at Orisson on April 19th. Fingers crossed the Pyrenees will be open! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I will start my first Camino from St Jean on the 22nd of April. I'll pray for you pray for me and maybe our paths will cross. Good luck and enjoy!

Lin: I live in Staunton, VA. Where are you? I'm planning on walking to Orisson, then to Ronc. on the 22nd, and then a short day to Viskarret....have to break into the walk easy with my recovering plantar fascia. Maybe 5 days to get to Pamplona. After that: I kick it in gear if I'm okay. How exciting! I have a teal backpack with a Boston Terrier luggage tag (easy to spot). It would be fun to meet up before the trip!

Hi LinH. As a former "Virginian" from Virginia Beach, leaving from Roncesvalles on 1 May, hopefully we will meet on the Camino.

Buen Camino
Buz, the old guy out for a long walk

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Lin: I live in Staunton, VA. Where are you? I'm planning on walking to Orisson, then to Ronc. on the 22nd, and then a short day to Viskarret....have to break into the walk easy with my recovering plantar fascia. Maybe 5 days to get to Pamplona. After that: I kick it in gear if I'm okay. How exciting! I have a teal backpack with a Boston Terrier luggage tag (easy to spot). It would be fun to meet up before the trip!
I am from Springfield, MA and I start my trip from Boston on the 19th. From Boston I go to Dublin and stay there one night the next day I fly to Biarritz France where I have a ride to Saint Jean. I will stay over on the 21st and start early on the 22nd. I will look for you and your teal backpack. I have a light green backpack. I am nervous and excited at the same time. I hope we meet. God Bless and good luck to you.

Peace

Andrew

Hi Lin. I am starting my first Camino on the 13th of April from SJPP. I too am super excited. Those buffterflies are anticipation and trepidation. Am I strong enough? Perhaps we will meet on the path. I am Australian. It has been very hot here so the cool of The Pyrenees will be an adjustment. Are you taking waterproof shoes? This is my biggest dilemma at the moment, that and world peace. My gortex solomons are very hot and I got heat rash the other day. I also have some non waterproof keens that I love, but I have rarely seen snow in my life, and have never walked in it. So the snow possibility, and chance of rain - something rare where I'm from - is making me think I'll need the waterproof shoes. Buen camino mi amiga. Hasta la vista. Helen
Helen: I'm hiking in Solomon's [waterproof, but nothing ever really is, just a little more 'water resistant'], but they do dry rather quickly, especially with rolled up newspapers tucked inside. I also have some Teva sandals to wear in the evening [w/ socks if necessary] to give feet a break. We're getting ready for another big snow here in Virginia, USA [getting VERY old by now]. and looking forward to just 'getting away.' Lots of 'butterflies' too here too!

Helen......you mentioned a heat rash. It just might be your socks, not your boots. I started my practice walks with a double sock, basically it had its own liner but I got a rash. Soon as I changed to wool socks (Smartwool) it went away. Just a thought!

LinH.....welcome to the Forum! I wish you a hearty Buen Camino. I hope you have a wonderful experience!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Helen......you mentioned a heat rash. It just might be your socks, not your boots. I started my practice walks with a double sock, basically it had its own liner but I got a rash. Soon as I changed to wool socks (Smartwool) it went away. Just a thought!

LinH.....welcome to the Forum! I wish you a hearty Buen Camino. I hope you have a wonderful experience!
Thank you for your advice. I have checked and changed my socks, but no. It is walking in 30 degree Celsius heat with high humidity. I am sure it will be different on the Camino. Can't wait.

Hi LinH,

Thanks for saying hello on my post (with the same start date!) Welcome to the forum!
I am also walking in Solomons, but gortex hiking shoes not boots. With the possibility of rain, I have still not decided about my pants/rain gear just yet. I hope your planning is going well. There is good group of using starting within a few days of each other.

Buen Camino!

Hello Linh,

Will start day behind you from SJPDP on April 30th. Hope to see along the path. Buen Camino!

Phillip (Houston, USA)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
HI,
I walked last September.. it was extremely hot, so I think you will love the coolness of the spring. My biggest thing I found on the very first day of walking was I packed too much. My pack weighed 19 lbs. it killed me, especially walking up the Pyrenees. My brother and I stayed at Orisson on the first part and I recommend it as to walk all the way to Roncesvalles is such a big journey on your first day. Plus the friends you make at Orisson is wonderful. Pack light that is all I can say. I tried to get rid of things to make my pack lighter but I loved everything in it so could not part with anything. I suffered to whole way .. next time I will pack super light...and there will be a next time. Have fun and enjoy your journey. If you want to check out my blog you are welcome to http://walkingtheworldmystyle.tumblr.com/

Last edited:

Enjoy every minute of it! It is great that you have so much time to experience the way. You might even get in same detours like the monasteries of Yuso/Suso, Canas, Santo Domingo de Silos or the Valle de Silencio. Buen Camino! SY

Hi Lin! Hola all!
I will likely be starting around the same time. Looks like it'll be a very Texan start! So far we have Houston, Dallas and Austin representing :)
I am wearing the same old boots with a double coating of mink oil and will have my Tevas and socks to change into each the evening. My first Camino it was nuttin but rain for the first 3 weeks. This time I am ready for it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good luck Lin!

Welcome Joanna and Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi LinH, I am starting from St Jean on the 27th in the morning and spending my second night at Orisson. My see you on the way, Buen Camino from this Canadian

Hi Lin-my husband and are from NH and will also be starting on April 29th from SJPP, maybe we will meet you there Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi LinH,

I'm starting also the 29th from Saint Jean. I have also a sabbatical and have to be back at work the 1th op july. Great to have so much time, I agree! Due to some physical problems (neck/back) I'm getting a little nervous now. Hope to be fit in time and be able to carry my backpack all the way!

Maybe we meet along the way! Have a Buen Camino!

Marleen from the Netherlands

Hi LinH,

I'm starting also the 29th from Saint Jean. I have also a sabbatical and have to be back at work the 1th op july. Great to have so much time, I agree! Due to some physical problems (neck/back) I'm getting a little nervous now. Hope to be fit in time and be able to carry my backpack all the way!

Maybe we meet along the way! Have a Buen Camino!

Marleen from the Netherlands
Hi Marleen, my husband and I are starting on the same day from SJPP as well maybe we will meet I am also getting a little nervous and excited. I have an artificial hip but I know it will be ok as long as I go at my own pace 2 1/2-3 miles an hour and stop when I need to.

Buen Camino

€149,-
Hello Marleen - I will look out for you too. Starting on 1st May - Orrison was booked up so walking to Roncevalles on the first day!

Hello Lin, looks like a number of people with ties to Virginia are starting about the same time. I went to the Univ. of Richmond many years ago. I am starting from SJPdP on the 30th of this month and going to Roncesvalles to meet up with someone on the first. There seem to be a great group starting about the same time. Have a great journey. Stephen

Hello Lin, looks like a number of people with ties to Virginia are starting about the same time. I went to the Univ. of Richmond many years ago. I am starting from SJPdP on the 30th of this month and going to Roncesvalles to meet up with someone on the first. There seem to be a great group starting about the same time. Have a great journey. Stephen
Lived in Virginia Beach many years, my son lives outside of Richmond.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back