A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

Starting from Auch in April - good idea?

Hello,

I'm thinking about starting my route from Auch, on this April. Is it advisable [based on the weather and other concerns]?

Thank you in advance,
Mati

karenhypes

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (09), Chemin Le Puy (10/11), hospitaleros (11), Chemin Arles (Apr 13), Caminho Portuguese (15).
Hello,

I'm thinking about starting my route from Auch, on this April. Is it advisable [based on the weather and other concerns]?

Thank you in advance,
Mati
Hi Mati, How far are you going, ie. all the way to Santiago, and are you going over the Somport Pass or heading down to St. Jean Pied de Port. We walked through Auch last April on our way from Montpellier to Puente la Reina. Weather should be fine. You might hit some snow going over Somport but it's manageable. April and May is a good time. Dayton

Hello Karen,
Planning to go over the Somport Pass [can't miss out on snow :) ] and heading via Jaco all the way to Monreal, probably being my last stop there.
I'm somewhat anxious about housing. I understood that in the French part housing is very expensive and somewhat complicated. Could you share your experience with me?

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
I understood that in the French part housing is very expensive
It is more expensive than Spain, but not "very expensive." A few places are under 10E. Most, however, are chambre d'hotes, hotels, or commercial gites, and offer a demi-pension that includes dinner and breakfast. A night is typically 32E, and the meal can be spectacular. The French love food and wine!

karenhypes

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (09), Chemin Le Puy (10/11), hospitaleros (11), Chemin Arles (Apr 13), Caminho Portuguese (15).
They're all right as far as cost. The French Camino's tend to be a little more 'civilized'.....When you add the bed, dinner and breakfast together it's really not much more expensive than in Spain. A lot of the 'gites' even supply towels. Most of the time you will be eating with the owners family and it's a nice experience. It's not complicated but you should call ahead to reserve a spot. They want you to so they won't have surprises for meals. Some will have a communal area to sleep and some will have the option of a room to yourself. You'll enjoy the entire walk. The scenery is spectacular.
Bon Chemin. Dayton and Karen

Thank you. Do you know how I can find a list of places to stay at in French? [in Camino De Arles]. I tried googling all kind of combinations but only found ~100E/night hostels/hotels.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.5%