• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Starting from Lisbon on 30 August

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Belorado to Astorga (Oct 2023)
My husband and I will be starting the Camino Portuguese enroute to Santiago on 30 August. This will be our first full Camino (we walked five days a couple years ago just to see what kind of training we would need). We’re fully vaccinated, have made all our reservations in advance to make sure we have private rooms in Albergues or pensiones . But I have a feeling we’ll be safer in Portugal and Spain then we are in the US right now! Very excited and looking forward to it! Hoping we will meet some others on the road!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bom caminho! We started from Lisbon last year on 1 September. If the weather repeats, you can expect very hot days in the early going. IIRC, we had 12 consecutive days of mid-30s+ Celsius (90+ Fahrenheit), getting up to 39 degrees C (101 F) in Azinhaga. I love blue sky so I’ll take that heat any day over clouds/rain, but it’s not for everyone!

In 2010 on 1st September it was 40 degrees in Lisbon and within 3 days I had to be rescued by the Bombeiros with heat exhaustion. Continued on after getting a taxi to Santarem for a nights rest. I just can't walk in extreme heat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My husband and I will be starting the Camino Portuguese enroute to Santiago on 30 August. This will be our first full Camino (we walked five days a couple years ago just to see what kind of training we would need). We’re fully vaccinated, have made all our reservations in advance to make sure we have private rooms in Albergues or pensiones . But I have a feeling we’ll be safer in Portugal and Spain then we are in the US right now! Very excited and looking forward to it! Hoping we will meet some others on the road!
Buen Camino my friends!

I walked from Lisbon in 2017, along the Seaboard, on boardwalk for most of the Way. The People of Portugal were amazingly friendly. The food was great and I found everything a little less expensive than the French Way, that I walked in 2015. Enjoy.
Bueno Camino.

I would heed the warning about the heat. Take lots of water. People are very friendly and if you are in need of water you can always knock on a door to find someone at home to help. The Portugese people are the warmest, friendliest and kindest people you will ever meet. Bring sunscreen and get those UV reflective umbrellas. You will be glad you did. Especially early on from Lisbon you will often be walking in open areas with a full sun hitting you. If you choose to walk on the coast after Porto you will again be open to the heat and sun. Do the Spiritual Variant for sure if you have the time. You are in for a treat. There is beauty everywhere in Portugal especially radiating from its people.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m starting from Lisbon around Oct 10th. I’m curious what your accommodation plans are for the first few stages (no open albergue in Aplriate…..option is hotel in Santa Iria vs training it back to Lisbon or ahead). Thanks. And Buen Camino! After spending 4 months in the Algarve in prepandenic times (winter 2019-2020), and being fluent in Spanish, I can say the Portuguese are the friendliest people I’ve ever met.

In 2010 on 1st September it was 40 degrees in Lisbon and within 3 days I had to be rescued by the Bombeiros with heat exhaustion. Continued on after getting a taxi to Santarem for a nights rest. I just can't walk in extreme heat.
I’m sure I can’t walk in extreme heat either, if we hit temperatures like that we will probably be walking as far as we can early in the day and then trying to grab a taxi once the heat sets in!
I’m starting from Lisbon around Oct 10th. I’m curious what your accommodation plans are for the first few stages (no open albergue in Aplriate…..option is hotel in Santa Iria vs training it back to Lisbon or ahead). Thanks. And Buen Camino! After spending 4 months in the Algarve in prepandenic times (winter 2019-2020), and being fluent in Spanish, I can say the Portuguese are the friendliest people I’ve ever met.
Hi Colette, we are not taking any lodging for granted, I have it all planned out and just hope that none of it falls through because don’t want to end up in a precarious situation with Covid. Anyway, in Alpriate, we are going to take a taxi to a neighboring town of Bucelas where we have reservations at a place called Sleep in Bucelas. we will stay there for the night and then taxi back to Alpriate to start the next day. If you’d like I can send you the rest of our accommodations

I’m sure I can’t walk in extreme heat either, if we hit temperatures like that we will probably be walking as far as we can early in the day and then trying to grab a taxi once the heat sets in!

Hi Colette, we are not taking any lodging for granted, I have it all planned out and just hope that none of it falls through because don’t want to end up in a precarious situation with Covid. Anyway, in Alpriate, we are going to take a taxi to a neighboring town of Bucelas where we have reservations at a place called Sleep in Bucelas. we will stay there for the night and then taxi back to Alpriate to start the next day. If you’d like I can send you the rest of our accommodations
Great! Would you share your plans with me re: accommodation and stages? I’m doing at my plans now. Thanks. If you wish to do it privately I’ve sent a Private Conversation message so it’s just us. Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great! Would you share your plans with me re: accommodation and stages? I’m doing at my plans now. Thanks. If you wish to do it privately I’ve sent a Private Conversation message so it’s just us. Thanks
I sent it to you - please let me know if you received, I'm not familiar with this private conversation function.

Just wanted to give a quick update on our Camino so far. We started from Lisbon on 29 August and tonight we are staying at the Casa Da Rainha and Azambuja. We have seen one other walking pilgrim on the road, that was today, and a group of four biking pilgrims on our first day. Several of our accommodations have not asked us about either vaccination records or PCR test, one did ask us for the vaccination record. We have found a good number of bars are open, and we are not depending on Albergues being open because we booked ahead places where we will not have to sleep in the same room with other people, due to being cautious about Covid. How are however, we are staying at Paula‘s Quinta da Burro in Porte de Muge tomorrow night.

Just wanted to give a quick update on our Camino so far. We started from Lisbon on 29 August and tonight we are staying at the Casa Da Rainha and Azambuja. We have seen one other walking pilgrim on the road, that was today, and a group of four biking pilgrims on our first day. Several of our accommodations have not asked us about either vaccination records or PCR test, one did ask us for the vaccination record. We have found a good number of bars are open, and we are not depending on Albergues being open because we booked ahead places where we will not have to sleep in the same room with other people, due to being cautious about Covid. How are however, we are staying at Paula‘s Quinta da Burro in Porte de Muge tomorrow night.
Enjoy Quinta da Burra, it’s a lovely place. I’m not in Portugal at the moment but it looks like it’s not too hot right now (in Lisbon anyway)?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Enjoy Quinta da Burra, it’s a lovely place. I’m not in Portugal at the moment but it looks like it’s not too hot right now (in Lisbon anyway)?
The days have been starting pleasantly enough, but the heat that sets in around noon is pretty bad, or at least we’re not used to it because of all the humidity here. So we’re starting earlier and earlier in the morning to try to beat it. Lisbon was pretty nice, but it is hotter the further you go in from the sea.

Good plan to start early, the hottest time of the day in Portugal can be around 4pm. Between Azambuja and Santarém it's quite hot, dusty and shadeless which is one of the reasons why Quinta da Burra is a godsend.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.