• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Lourdes?

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
I'm considering starting the CF in Lourdes, continuing to SJPdP, then onward to SdC. Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to get a day or two of walking before tackling the Pyrenees.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
For a few days out of Lourdes the route is river valley; very wet in heavy rain! I turned left at Oloron, so know the rest of the route only from maps. It looks like more river valleys with a few hills all the way to SJPdP. There are guide books from amazon.fr that will show you the accommodations. I used Miam Miam Dodo from Lourdes to Oloron.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did this a few years ago, highly recommend it. Took about a week, spent 2 days exploring Lourdes first. I had done the Camino starting in St Jean previously, but it was rainy and foggy crossing the Pyrenees. I didn't really get to see them at all. So I spent a beautiful week in them, the lower foothills part, rolling hills, farms. Definitely prepared me for the rigours of that climb from St Jean to Roncesvalles.

Oloron St Marie is gorgeous, and Hopital St Blaise, a Romanesque church hidden in the woods on the way was wonderful. You follow the Gave de Pau for long stretches, the prettiest of clear cold mountain rivers.

Some advisos: in 2009 the trail was not well marked. It's a minor route, and I met only one other person doing it, on my last day. I did get very lost on one day: get good maps, and be aware there are alternate routes to confuse things. One of the other Grand Randonee routes through there also uses yellow blazes. It was a very solitary ramble; I was thrilled to meet the hordes of fellow pilgrims starting in St Jean.
Some good hostels. Make sure to check how to get into them in advance.

Lourdes itself is a great site of Catholic pilgrimage itself, of course. My bad ankle and I had a long chat with the healing waters before setting out, successfully. And I was moved to see all the very elderly and very ill faithful coming to the shrine for a last chance.

I did it in September, btw. 42 degrees c one day, then down to 11 and rain a week later in the woods towards Pamplona. :)

I did it last year. Five days from Lourdes to SJPP, but I didn't follow the waymarked route. There is a guide in French from Lepere editions.
Stages:
Asson
Oloron
Mauleon-Licharre
St Jean le Vieux
SJPP

I did exactly this in September 14
The route is well waymarked , quiet beautiful
I have an English translation of the route, although I rarely needed it !
If you wish I can send to it to you
Send me a pm with your details, and I'll send to you,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.