• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Porto (Matosinhos) on the 27th of May, 2014

Suzanne01

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Norte (Aug 2013), Portugues (May 2014)
Hi all,

I'm departing from Porto (Matosinhos) on the 27th of May, 2014 and plan to walk along the shore to Vila do Conde. Anybodye else following the same way on Tuesday?
Regards,
Suzanne.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all,

I'm departing from Porto (Matosinhos) on the 27th of May, 2014 and plan to walk along the shore to Vila do Conde. Anybodye else following the same way on Tuesday?
Regards,
Suzanne.

I did the same two weeks ago but continued on the coast all the way to Tui and the Central route to SDC.
Please, feel free to ask if you have any questions on this route.
Bom Caminho :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did the same two weeks ago but continued on the coast all the way to Tui and the Central route to SDC.

Annie,how long did it take you?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In my opinion there is no reason taking a metro/bus/ taxi out of Porto when walking the coastal route.
It is very easy to walk down from the cathedral down to the river and walk along the river to Matosinhos.
This would be a very pleasant start for the camino Portugues.
It is not way- marked but very easy to follow the river to the Atlantic ocean.
About 10 km and only the first couple of kms are along the traffic on the pavement till you reach the ocean. By the ocean there is more space and you are walking on board walks.
If you want to take a metro anyway the last stop is Mercado which is by the brigde where you can start your camino.
Or bus number 500 which follows the river and the ocean beach front to Matosinhos and mercado (if you do not want to walk from the Se Cathedral).

Last edited:
In my opinion there is no reason taking a metro/bus/ taxi out of Porto when walking the coastal route.
It is very easy to walk down from the cathedral down to the river and walk along the river to Matosinhos.
This would be a very pleasant start for the camino Portugues.
It is not way- marked but very easy to follow the river to the Atlantic ocean.
About 10 km and only the first couple of kms are along the traffic on the pavement till you reach the ocean. By the ocean there is more space and you are walking on board walks.
If you want to take a metro anyway the last stop is Mercado which is by the brigde where you can start your camino.
Or bus number 500 which follows the river and the ocean beach front to Matosinhos and mercado (if you do not want to walk from the Se Cathedral).
Walking from the Sé cathedral of Porto we walked this route and found a nice hostal,named hostal Central in Matosinhos for a night only one km from the Mercado metrostop and the bridge over the river.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is all helpful. I walked the Frances last fall and will walk Caminho Costal next year. Any maps or guides available?

I didn´t have any guide when I left for the Portugues (coastal) so I looked for wifi every evening and took screen shots on google maps. Then walked from one village to the next. After a couple of days after Porto the route was way- marked.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The John Brierley guide Camino Portuges describes the detour from Porto via Matosinhos to Vila do Conde and on to the interior route to São Pedro de Rates.,Barcelos, Vitorino dos Piäes and Ponte de Lima and so on.
Bom caminho

This is all helpful. I walked the Frances last fall and will walk Caminho Costal next year. Any maps or guides available?
If you mean the caminho da Costa..Porto, Póvoa da Varzim, Viana do Castelo, Caminha, A Guarda, Oia, Baiona, Vigo on to the interior route to Redondela , I did not find a guide but a lot of info at this forum at Caminho Portuges da Costa.
At this moment I am in the area between Viana do Castelo and Caminho and went to A Guarda last week to explore the route for next year walking. It is easy to follow the yellow markings. We found many of them.
A nice walk along the seaside. Only the ferry between Caminha to A Guarda is out of order for some month so now there is a detour of 24 kilometers via the bridge of Vila Nova de Cedeira over the river Miño into Spain.
Bom caminho

Thanks a lot!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,

Regards,
Suzanne.

Hey Suzanne!

Me and my sister are also starting tomorrow from Matosinhos and going to Vila do Conde! See you on the way, hopefully :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back