• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from SJdPP on 5 September

Meredith1

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2012
Hello, all - I'm Meredith, from South Carolina (the "1" in my screen name was apparently needed to distinguish between another Meredith and myself :) ). I'm walking my first Camino this year, after having thought about this for a year and a half and reading some excellent books on it, and of course reading the many, many helpful posts in this forum (and yes, getting gear and walking).

I'm traveling solo (I've learned not to say "alone"), and looking forward to what I will learn about the Camino, about the history and culture of that part of Spain, about others I meet along the way, and about myself. It seems an excellent way to celebrate turning 68, which I will do in August.

My first concrete step toward my Camino was back probably in February or March: ordering my forum badge. Now that I've bought my tickets and started the planning needed for the first few days, it's becoming real, and I know the time between now and departure on 3 September will go fast.

Thanks to all of you experienced peregrinos who provide such valuable tips and insight about the Camino. I really hope to meet some of you along the Way.

Buen Camino to all!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey, Meredith!
Good to see another solo person is venturing out in September. I am planto leave on Sept 4th from Dallas, having to delay from my original date of May 23rd due to business conflicts. Hoping to see you along "the way!"
I will have a small Texas flag as well as my Camino badge sewn on my turquoise Osprey backpack. If you see me, please say hello!
Buen Camino!
"Bozzie"
(Dee Anne)

Hello, Bozzie / Dee Anne --

I sure will say hello if I spot you on the way - I'll be carrying a light blueish-turquoise-ish Gregory pack, badge attached, as well as a SC state flag patch if I can find one not manufactured in China. ;)

I've just booked my night in St. Jean, am in the process of booking the next night at Orisson, and now need to find a hostel / alburgue in Pamplona for my first night in Spain. Then I'll relax about those logistics and get back to walking/training.

Hope your planning is going well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Meredith1 said:
I've just booked my night in St. Jean, am in the process of booking the next night at Orisson, and now need to find a hostel / alburgue in Pamplona for my first night in Spain.

I do hope that you're not booking Pamplona as your first night in Spain if you're stopping over at Orisson as it's 61kms from there to Pamplona :shock:

mspath said:
In Pamplona the Hostel Hemingway is a popular choice. You can book a bed in advance for your September arrival. Here is their web link--http://www.hostelhemingway.com/.

Buen Camino!

Margaret

Yes, thanks, Margaret. I found it earlier today through another pilgrim's comment during a search -- it looks like a great choice.

I love it when the pieces of the puzzle start coming together like this.

BlackDog said:
Meredith1 said:
I do hope that you're not booking Pamplona as your first night in Spain if you're stopping over at Orisson as it's 61kms from there to Pamplona :shock:

Conda at their website offer a bus from Pamplona to St Jean until end of September:
"Coach from Pamplona - Saint Jean de Pied de Port from 1/06 to 30/09"
Now I'm concerned - I tried to enter a request for Pamplona - St Jean and the route doesn't show in their schedules. But I see now after going back to it that their Routes and Schedules page is under construction, so maybe this will all work out.

Please let me know if you know something I'm not aware of -- managing details isn't my strong suit so this is all a bit daunting to me (OK - a lot daunting).

Thanks!

OK, I'm relieved now. I kept searching from the Spanish to the English version of the Conda site and found this on the Spanish, which Google kindly translated for me:

"Bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port
Pamplona, ​​May 20. - With the arrival of summer, Navarre Bus Company (CONDA) launches its bus service between Pamplona and the French town of Saint Jean Pied de Port. The service will begin operations on Friday, June 1st, and will run until 30 September.

"An expedition carried out daily in each direction, departing from the bus station in Pamplona at 14.00 and return from Saint Jean at 16.00. The price of each trip is 15 euros.

"This service is specially designed to cater to the many pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago in the summer begin the pilgrimage route in the French town. It allows travelers access to Pamplona from different parts of Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Zaragoza, San Sebastian and the banks of Navarre) connect directly to Saint Jean, standing at the head of the French Way just change buses at the station buses."

But I appreciate the heads up about the route anyway b/c I'd misplaced some notes I'd made about my first few days in Spain / France. So glad to have another's eyes on it.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back