• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from SJPDP on May 6th!

Heidi Cruise

My husband and I are going to walk to Santiago starting on May 6th in SJPDP. He turns 50 this year and wants to celebrate life by taking this long walk across Spain, to give us both a chance to just let the walk happen to us, to not be tied to electronics, and to meet new people from all over the world. I am excited/nervous/apprehensive all rolled into one. Nervous because I have pretty bad arthritis in my left knee from a childhood injury. I am planning on doing as much of the walk as I can, while wearing a knee brace. I am thinking of having my backpack transported for the first 8 days, but am not sure about the best way to do this. I looked into JacoTrans, but the place we are staying in Larrasoana on the 3rd night is not listed on their website as a place that they deliver to? If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. See you on the road!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My husband and I are going to walk to Santiago starting on May 6th in SJPDP. He turns 50 this year and wants to celebrate life by taking this long walk across Spain, to give us both a chance to just let the walk happen to us, to not be tied to electronics, and to meet new people from all over the world. I am excited/nervous/apprehensive all rolled into one. Nervous because I have pretty bad arthritis in my left knee from a childhood injury. I am planning on doing as much of the walk as I can, while wearing a knee brace. I am thinking of having my backpack transported for the first 8 days, but am not sure about the best way to do this. I looked into JacoTrans, but the place we are staying in Larrasoana on the 3rd night is not listed on their website as a place that they deliver to? If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. See you on the road!
hi Heidi, I have almost zero cartilage in both knees and rheumatoid arthritis - remember to take your meds and get a cortisone shot 8 days or so before your leave... then walk at your pace ... I took a leisurely stroll from SJPdP to Santiago 49 days and no serious issues with knees / joints. I had made use of Jacotrans on and off during my walk - I'd look at the profile / elevations and downhills for the following day and then decide if I wanted to drag my pack up / down hill - almost all albergues, Refugio's, hostals, small hotels etc have the little Jacotrans envelopes at their 'reception' desks - you simply advise the person who runs the accomm that you would like to book a 'mochilla transport', almost every time they called Jacotrans to advise that my pack would need collection in the morning or Jacotrans goes past their accomm every morning anyway - anyhow, 7 euros into the envelope, you mark the envelope with your name, your contact tel number, from X albergue and delivery to Y albergue, if you have it, the tel number of your destination albergue and voila, packs get transported - Jacotrans do collect from all accomm facilities along the main Camino Frances route, whether that accomm is listed on their site or not...there are 3 main Jacotrans contact numbers for the various sections along the camino - if you're taking a cell phone, save these numbers - in the event that you have to call Jacotrans yourself to reserve ... I used google translate: Ola me gustaría reservar una colección mochila para mañana por la mañana de (collect from albergue name) a entregar a (deliver to name) gracias.. always worked... I also knew pilgrims who had no reservations for the following day, they'd simply select the albergue they like and had their packs transported there, if the albergue was full, they'd pick up there packs and move on... good luck with all the planning and Buen Camino

hi Heidi, I have almost zero cartilage in both knees and rheumatoid arthritis - remember to take your meds and get a cortisone shot 8 days or so before your leave... then walk at your pace ... I took a leisurely stroll from SJPdP to Santiago 49 days and no serious issues with knees / joints. I had made use of Jacotrans on and off during my walk - I'd look at the profile / elevations and downhills for the following day and then decide if I wanted to drag my pack up / down hill - almost all albergues, Refugio's, hostals, small hotels etc have the little Jacotrans envelopes at their 'reception' desks - you simply advise the person who runs the accomm that you would like to book a 'mochilla transport', almost every time they called Jacotrans to advise that my pack would need collection in the morning or Jacotrans goes past their accomm every morning anyway - anyhow, 7 euros into the envelope, you mark the envelope with your name, your contact tel number, from X albergue and delivery to Y albergue, if you have it, the tel number of your destination albergue and voila, packs get transported - Jacotrans do collect from all accomm facilities along the main Camino Frances route, whether that accomm is listed on their site or not...there are 3 main Jacotrans contact numbers for the various sections along the camino - if you're taking a cell phone, save these numbers - in the event that you have to call Jacotrans yourself to reserve ... I used google translate: Ola me gustaría reservar una colección mochila para mañana por la mañana de (collect from albergue name) a entregar a (deliver to name) gracias.. always worked... I also knew pilgrims who had no reservations for the following day, they'd simply select the albergue they like and had their packs transported there, if the albergue was full, they'd pick up there packs and move on... good luck with all the planning and Buen Camino
Thanks so much for this great information Carla. You are so helpful!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hi Heidi, another thought if you're wanting to pre-book on the Jacotrans website before you go, pop them a quick email and ask if you can include your Larrosoana spot in a confirmation email to them - they're really helpful

Buen Camino!

Hi Heidi, hope you have a great time and I wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome Heidi and Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.