• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Burgos

Gerry O

Time of past OR future Camino
finished second half ...now working on first half
Hi everyone - My wife and I are planning to start walking the Camino Frances from Burgos in late May- June this year. Can anyone tell me where in Burgos I can get supplies eg soap, socks, torch.... for the walk? Also getting the passport stamped ? and also .....can we organise luggage transfer when we get there ? Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi to you both - most likely won't need a torch. A good way to start from Burgos is to take it easy and take in the sights and then stroll out and stop at Rabe (Rabe de las Calzadas), a few miles out, about 12kms - lovely little village at the beginning of the Meseta.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Gerry. I would suggest buying your equipment at home before you leave. You can order a credenical right from this forum. That way when you arrive in Burgos you'll be all set to walk and ready to have some fabulous tapas and rioja wine. That's what my wife and I did last year.

As several other posters have mentioned, we also made the first day an easy one and only went as far as Rabé de las Calzadas. We stayed at Hostal La Fuente de Rabé and everything about it was excellent: service, food, and graciousness of the owner.

We used Correos for luggage transport (see link below). You can sign up online and even pay in advance if you know your itinerary before arriving. If you don't, you'll go day by day with whichever service you select. If you are not staying on the Camino in Burgos, you can have your hotel notify whatever service you choose to make a pick up the morning of your departure. (You can find more advice/recommendations about transport services on this forum by using the search function).

Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is a Decathlon sports store in Burgos, next to a Hipercorp department store, a couple kms south of the cathedral. A free Hipercorp bus goes hourly from in front of the Opera/theatre by the El Cid statue so you could also catch a ride back to town. And the municipal albergue behind the cathedral will have credentials if you don't get one from Ivar here.

The eating out secret of Burgos is a small bar restaurant named Bar Pancho. On an atmospheric narrow street - lane really, just a couple of hundred yards from the cathedral - Calle San Lorenzo, 13-15.

Small place, long and narrow, eating area on the left behind a wooden screen and bar on the right. Family owned, friendly, cheerful, real fresh cooking at a great price - oh, and if you are American reading this, it is immaculately clean - and! the locals eat there!! Nuff said! Was there with a pal, was marvellous, and the staff gave us big hugs when we left! Mind you, we chatted to them (in appalling five word Spanish!), complimented the cook - she came out to see us, was so pleased we had done that.
Very good local house wine too!!!

Actually - I don't know if I should be posting this ... next time I'm there it will be packed with pilgrims and I will have to go and eat a stale bocadilla somewhere ... dang! :)

This is it - http://barpancho.com/barpancho.php

Buen Camino!!

where in Burgos I can get supplies eg soap, socks, torch.... for the walk?

And there is a Base shop at Calle Madrid 19 - about 600 m almost due south from the Cathedral. Quite well stocked for all outdoor pursuits.

just a couple of hundred yards from the cathedral - Calle San Lorenzo, 13-15.

In you find the major public square just to the west of the cathedral, you will find Calle San Lorenzo running from the middle of the (almost) north side. (The major public square is strictly about six sides.)

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Gerry. I would suggest buying your equipment at home before you leave. You can order a credenical right from this forum. That way when you arrive in Burgos you'll be all set to walk and ready to have some fabulous tapas and rioja wine. That's what my wife and I did last year.

As several other posters have mentioned, we also made the first day an easy one and only went as far as Rabé de las Calzadas. We stayed at Hostal La Fuente de Rabé and everything about it was excellent: service, food, and graciousness of the owner.

We used Correos for luggage transport (see link below). You can sign up online and even pay in advance if you know your itinerary before arriving. If you don't, you'll go day by day with whichever service you select. If you are not staying on the Camino in Burgos, you can have your hotel notify whatever service you choose to make a pick up the morning of your departure. (You can find more advice/recommendations about transport services on this forum by using the search function).

Buen Camino.

Thanks everyone for the help, hope everything works well for you all. While we aim to bring everything we need, i'm sure we'll forget something and its bound to make a big difference .....we will probably be starting early to beat the walking too much in the middle of the afternoon. Thanks again, Gerry and Lynn

Just another query - if you get your luggage transported, via Correos eg, do you tell them an Albergue even though you can't be sure you can get a place there. How does that work?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just another query - if you get your luggage transported, via Correos eg, do you tell them an Albergue even though you can't be sure you can get a place there. How does that work?

Using the search function for that question should help, as I believe it's been discussed recently, and if you still have questions you might want to start a new thread so your question isn't lost in another topic.

The eating out secret of Burgos is a small bar restaurant named Bar Pancho. On an atmospheric narrow street - lane really, just a couple of hundred yards from the cathedral - Calle San Lorenzo, 13-15.

Small place, long and narrow, eating area on the left behind a wooden screen and bar on the right. Family owned, friendly, cheerful, real fresh cooking at a great price - oh, and if you are American reading this, it is immaculately clean - and! the locals eat there!! Nuff said! Was there with a pal, was marvellous, and the staff gave us big hugs when we left! Mind you, we chatted to them (in appalling five word Spanish!), complimented the cook - she came out to see us, was so pleased we had done that.
Very good local house wine too!!!

Actually - I don't know if I should be posting this ... next time I'm there it will be packed with pilgrims and I will have to go and eat a stale bocadilla somewhere ... dang! :)

This is it - http://barpancho.com/barpancho.php

Buen Camino!!
Thanks for the tip, David, I will definitely be packing that place in late april! 🆒:) Hope to see you on the Way again.

Hi everyone - My wife and I are planning to start walking the Camino Frances from Burgos in late May- June this year. Can anyone tell me where in Burgos I can get supplies eg soap, socks, torch.... for the walk? Also getting the passport stamped ? and also .....can we organise luggage transfer when we get there ? Thank you.
2 days from Burgos; best socks in the world. Forget what you have; buy there:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino.

That's a great suggestion, walking 14 klms out of Burgos to Rabé de Las Calzadas for the first day. I've stayed at the €5 new municipal near the extradinary Burgos cathedral, 3 years in a row. Great pods of four beds & showers, kitchen. I dropped my bag off across the road at the cafe ( hospiterios provide an envelope to tie onto bags) and sent it to the weirdest albergue of my trip. (You have to stay there to believe the amount of rules)
" Santamaria" albergue..run by Michelle. Thank God my new best friend arrived to share the night, Ariel, 25yo Jewish guy from Israel. I'm 65yo. Later that day, My experience was enhanced by following a procession / statue of Mary, around the fields after mass with my buddist friend Monica from Taiwan. Wonderful experiences that we talked about often on the rest of our walk. (Ariel & I still hang out our clothes in the way Michelle taught us.)
love

Thanks Alex and Miki - what is the special and secret way that Michelle showed you to hang out clothes ?????????? is it okay if its not a secret anymore ????????

Oh oh, she's sucked you into her vortex....each sock hadp to be opened at the top and pegged so the air flows down and through. Well every piece of clothing is opened and pegged so that the air flows down....I'm still in therapy ...our bags were bagged and hung like meat on hooks at the end of our bunks. The sockets were taped and we had to pay €2 euros for overnight charging.....there was more that Ariel & I experienced but ...it was an experience that we laughed about for days. We were totally controlled. Ariel & I did the whole 900 klms and never came across anything more funnier.....
Love

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh oh, she's sucked you into her vortex....each sock hadp to be opened at the top and pegged so the air flows down and through. Well every piece of clothing is opened and pegged so that the air flows down....I'm still in therapy ...our bags were bagged and hung like meat on hooks at the end of our bunks. The sockets were taped and we had to pay €2 euros for overnight charging.....there was more that Ariel & I experienced but ...it was an experience that we laughed about for days. We were totally controlled. Ariel & I did the whole 900 klms and never came across anything more funnier.....
Love

Ha!! I suppose that's what meant be "it takes all kinds" ......the world has a rich tapestry of fantastic people doesn't it !!

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back