• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Leon April 27

mondrus

I've made all the arangements, I'm planning to begin walking from Leon on April 27. However I do have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any help!! I'm flying into Valladoid... I've read there are buses and/or trains to Leon, do these need to be booked in advance? Also, I'm planning on walking the Camino in my trusty trail running shoes... will these be sufficient, or do I NEED to buy hiking boots (I'm trying to save as much money as possible!)

I'll be by myself, I'm extremely nervous and excited, hope to meet some wonderful travel companions!!

Mary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I checked out the the availability for seats tomorrow on http://www.alsa.es and the results were:

Dep Arr Price Availability
00:45 02:45 7,96€ YES
02:45 04:45 7,96€ YES
09:45 11:45 7,96€ YES
11:45 13:45 7,96€ YES
14:45 16:45 7,96€ YES
16:45 18:45 7,96€ YES
19:45 21:45 7,96€ YES
21:45 23:45 7,96€ YES

So I would guess booking is not necessary.

Travel Leon to Santiago

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of doing the camino this April and am in the planning stages. I am 49 years old and have a little bit of knee problems. I will be traveling alone, but I have decided that I have to try this.

My plan is pretty simple, even though it's not settled yet, I am thinking of starting in:
Leon going to Vilaldangos del Paramo (5 hrs) DAY 1,
Astorga (6 hrs) DAY 2,
Rabanal Del Camino (5-6 hrs) DAY 3,
Molinaseca via the iron cross (6-7 hrs) DAY 4,
Villafranca Del Bierzo via Templar castle (8 hrs) DAY 5
O'Cebreiro (8hrs) DAY 6
Triacastela (5-6hrs) DAY 7
Sarria (5hrs) DAY 8
Walk through the hills of Galicia to Portomarin (6 hrs) DAY 9
Through the brooms to Palas de Rei (6-7 hrs) DAY 10
Leave Lugo to enter La Coruna and on to Arzua (8 hrs) DAY 11
Rua (5 hours) DAY 12
Arrive Santiago (5-6 hrs) DAY 13.

I am a new pilgrim and I am very scared but I have to do this for myself.

I'd be happy if anybody could give me some encouragement (or talk me out of this?! and share with me some of the information you have about the road from Leon to Santiago. Any information would be great help to me.

Also, does anybody know whats the best way to get to Leon from Frankfurt am Main?

Best regards,
Edith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Leon to Santiago

Congratulations Edith! You have made up your mind, done your research, set yourself a goal - you are already on the camino! You go girl!!
13 days for ± 311kms is do-able and also gives you time to enjoy your surroundings.
Keep this list up-to-date on how you get on.

Walking in running shoes

Hola Mary,
I wore New Balance All Terrain shoes when I did the Camino Frances. My walking buddy wore Nike Air and we both finished with no injuries or any other adverse effects. Pilgrims have strong feelings on boots vs shoes but I think wear what you feel best in - what you run in, walk in, train in. You don't need costly boots but perhaps a pair of gaiters will help keep the stones, wheat ears, dust and sand out of your shoes.
Have a wonderful camino.

Re: Leon to Santiago

sillydoll said:
Congratulations Edith! You have made up your mind, done your research, set yourself a goal - you are already on the camino! You go girl!!
13 days for ± 311kms is do-able and also gives you time to enjoy your surroundings.
Keep this list up-to-date on how you get on.

Thanks Sil, it is encouraging to know that someone who has done pilgrimage, considers this do-able. I have few extra days in my plan so I can take time off if I need to. I understand that maps are not really necesary for one to carry as the roads are very well marked. So I'll be relying on the road markers and follow other pilgrims... 8)

My plan is to start my camino on April 12.

Like Mary I feel extremely nervous and excited, hope to meet some wonderful travel companions!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
mondrus said:
I'm flying into Valladoid... I've read there are buses and/or trains to Leon, do these need to be booked in advance?
Mary

Mary,
As already stated: not necessary.
Option is to take the blue bus (infront of the exit of the airport) of Ryanair to Valladolid busstation: tickets inside airport building at the Ryanair-desk.
Short walk to train station and than take the train to Leon.
See http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html for time-table.

Buen Camino
Paul

Dear Edith
glad to hear of you going solo! very encouraged by you.

i am from Singapore, in my fifties, and flying solo to London early May.

first going to Fatima and then to Porto to start the camino portugues.
read of it on this website last week.

today i just booked ryanair and first time t6 portugal. and with only faith, am going to pray hard and hope i can make it to Santiago. hope to meet fellow pilgrims along the way!! absolutely no :idea: of route/what to bring, etc.
wud appeciate some advice fm anyone willing to give me any assistance.
thank you in advance
Mary

Good Luck Mary

Mary Ho said:
Dear Edith
glad to hear of you going solo! very encouraged by you.

i am from Singapore, in my fifties, and flying solo to London early May.

first going to Fatima and then to Porto to start the camino portugues.
read of it on this website last week.
Mary

Hi Mary,
We all need some encouraging for this journey and I had mine from Sillydoll for which I am grateful for. I am starting in Leon, flying to Santiago on the 11th and taking the train to Leon the next day, where I'll be spending the first night. Like many pilgrims I am hopping to reach my goal and maybe find some of my peace on my journey. I cannot give any feedback for your travel but like you said, with faith and prayers we all hope to get to our destination. As far as I know, the backpack should be light, the footwear should be comfortable and your determination present more then ever.

I browsed through this site where I found a lot of useful information for my journey and I advise you to do the same.

I wish you all the best....
Edith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back