• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Lisbon around 28th May

nabann

Time of past OR future Camino
I walked the (classic) camino from Leon to Santiago in 2009 and think about walking the camino portugues this year.
Hello fellow Peregrinos, Peregrinas,
I know it's quite a strange choice of a day/date, but I plan to start my Camino in Lisbon on that Thursday, or Friday, anyone being on the road at end of May, starting in Lisbon?
My goal is to to walk till Porto till the 9th June, making use of the great guide PDF of Laurie (thanks for it, Laurie!).
I would love to hear some of your experience about the proper shoes at this time of the year to wear. As I understand, for the ankles the 'high' walking boots are the best, and especially if one carries a backpack, this is more advisable. However, my feet tend to get swollen easily and I am just afraid that such high boots are also more rigid and will cause more blisters and of course sweating is also more of an issue in these ones compared to the 'shorter' walking shoes (so the ones not covering up your ankles).
Any thoughts on this?
Otherwise I can't wait to be on the way, I have read so many motivating posts here...
Keep walking, keep posting. :)
Anna

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know it's quite a strange choice of a day/date, but I plan to start my Camino in Lisbon on that Thursday, or Friday, anyone being on the road at end of May, starting in Lisbon?....... I would love to hear some of your experience about the proper shoes at this time of the year to wear.

My plane arrives in Lisbon April 30 and I walk from Se to the Moscavida Youth hostel that day (short 1st day - jet lag!). And the rest of the way starting May 1. There are one or two other pilgrims starting within a day or 2 of then. Hope to see you on the Camino. Get advice for shoes from a good store that sells hiking equipment. It sounds like you don't already have them. Buy them immediately and start breaking them (and your feet) in. Not much time left!

Make sure you have good insoles - the cobbles are very punishing.
I wore mid boots - but luckily don't suffer with particularly sweaty feet. Although the tracks are not particularly challenging (other than the cobbles) they can be deeply rutted due to bikes and tractors driving through muddy trails and which dry into hard and deep ruts.
I blogged from Lisbon each day last year. Feel free to take a look at my blog - link below.
Bom caminho!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
my first camino was wearing my tried & tested ankle high buck skin tramping boots
they are FAB!
...but they were hot & heavy & boy was it a nice moment when at the end of each day my trail weary tootsies were set free OMG

my second camino was wearing patagonia leather/gortex tramping shoes
they are even FAB-er!!
...light weight & breathable, vibram soles, rubber toe protection & what's more...

on my third camino, see notes on my second. i've found my brand.

but they're your feet.
look around, go to a good outdoor shop & find the shoe boffin there, ask all your questions & ask them what questions you have forgotten to ask - if they're worth their salt, they wont mind filling in the blanks.
you're gonna be spending a lot of time on those feet of yours & the shoes you pick are an investment that will make a big difference.
shop around, compare compare compare, then go back to the nicest place & spend your $$$.

the only thing i'd add is that once yours, you should wear them. let your feet get accustomed to being in them, walk everyday, 5ks then 10, 10k's then 15, daily then twice daily...whatever, just make sure you break them in - i mean your shoes AND your feet.
trust me, a week in to your camino you'll be grateful you had..

buen camino

(btw - unrelated - once you hit oporto, consider the coastal option - it rocks! & it's as simple as following the river out to the coast & following the yellow arrows til you hit the border)

Hi, I walked the Portuguese way in September /October (Porto to Santiago).
1. Be sure to follow coastal route starting in Porto then pick up regular route. Not to be missed!
2. Spend the night at Casa Fernanda. Not to be missed either!
3. Portugal has paved everything in cobble stone except the Via Romana which is worse than cobble, Get used to it. Get over it☺
4.I walked it wearing Adidas TerraX low cuts and wigwam socks. Sore feet, yes, your walking on cobble stones. No bisters, none. I've got over 400 miles on them soaking wet and dry, no blisters.

Happy Trails

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oops, my thinking was a month off. I'll be finishing up in Santiago about the time you start! Good luck.

Hi Steve,
Yes, you will be one month ahead of me... But thanks for your reply. Maybe I was not clear enough, the obvious choice is the hiking boots but I am wondering if anyone has other alternatives they tested :)
I wish you all the best on your camino, only a few more weeks for you to go :)
Rgds, Anna

Make sure you have good insoles - the cobbles are very punishing.
I wore mid boots - but luckily don't suffer with particularly sweaty feet. Although the tracks are not particularly challenging (other than the cobbles) they can be deeply rutted due to bikes and tractors driving through muddy trails and which dry into hard and deep ruts.
I blogged from Lisbon each day last year. Feel free to take a look at my blog - link below.
Bom caminho!
Magwood,
Thanks for your comment. Yes, the insoles are important, I will keep in my mind.
Your blog is fabulous, I started to read it already. I just love the pics, especially that beautiful book shop in Porto is definitely inspiring me to get there :)
Thanks for having taking the time, although you are on your camino now from Malaga :) Bom caminho, and thanks for the blogs!

my first camino was wearing my tried & tested ankle high buck skin tramping boots
they are FAB!
...but they were hot & heavy & boy was it a nice moment when at the end of each day my trail weary tootsies were set free OMG

my second camino was wearing patagonia leather/gortex tramping shoes
they are even FAB-er!!
...light weight & breathable, vibram soles, rubber toe protection & what's more...

on my third camino, see notes on my second. i've found my brand.

but they're your feet.
look around, go to a good outdoor shop & find the shoe boffin there, ask all your questions & ask them what questions you have forgotten to ask - if they're worth their salt, they wont mind filling in the blanks.
you're gonna be spending a lot of time on those feet of yours & the shoes you pick are an investment that will make a big difference.
shop around, compare compare compare, then go back to the nicest place & spend your $$$.

the only thing i'd add is that once yours, you should wear them. let your feet get accustomed to being in them, walk everyday, 5ks then 10, 10k's then 15, daily then twice daily...whatever, just make sure you break them in - i mean your shoes AND your feet.
trust me, a week in to your camino you'll be grateful you had..

buen camino

(btw - unrelated - once you hit oporto, consider the coastal option - it rocks! & it's as simple as following the river out to the coast & following the yellow arrows til you hit the border)

Hey Pablo,
Thanks a lot for sharing your choices and decisions on the shoe options. And your advice.
I did make up my mind after having checked out some options in an outdoor shop.
So I have my dearest baby, a pair of Merrel light hiking shoes.
Well, now I only have to break them in :)
About the coastal road... Unfortunately I only have 13 days so i cannot do the whole distance at once. I was really tempted by the coastal road from Porto to Santiago, but as I already went to Santiago from Leon once. I opted now for the path between Lisbon and Porto instead. But I need to admit, I still feel the temptation to change my mind, as walking along the coast must be a special experience... Maybe I just have to go back again still this year :)
Thank again for all the advice,
Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I walked the Portuguese way in September /October (Porto to Santiago).
1. Be sure to follow coastal route starting in Porto then pick up regular route. Not to be missed!
2. Spend the night at Casa Fernanda. Not to be missed either!
3. Portugal has paved everything in cobble stone except the Via Romana which is worse than cobble, Get used to it. Get over it☺
4.I walked it wearing Adidas TerraX low cuts and wigwam socks. Sore feet, yes, your walking on cobble stones. No bisters, none. I've got over 400 miles on them soaking wet and dry, no blisters.

Happy Trails
Hello Happy Trails,
Thanks for having shared all your experience!!!
I actually plan to do the way between Lisbon and Porto, but thanks for the info on the coastal route, because of it it is such a great temptation to still change my mind... Having no blisters sounds amazing to me! You really found your shoes. Well. I also made up my mind, having used also your comments. So thanks for them!

I rode the bus back to Lisbon. The countryside between Lisbon and Porto was gorgeous. Made me wish I had walked it to Porto but time did not alow it. Enjoy your camino. Bom Caminho.

Happy Trails

I rode the bus back to Lisbon. The countryside between Lisbon and Porto was gorgeous. Made me wish I had walked it to Porto but time did not alow it. Enjoy your camino. Bom Caminho.

Happy Trails
Hello happy trails, thanks for your words... All in all we should just have much more time to walk :) but I guess this is also the beauty of it, having to chose and appreciating it because we know, we are limited in our possibilities:) wish you a great day, and thanks again for your post :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi guys! :)
If you plan on spending a day or two in Lisbon and want some tips or even someone local to go for a walk with, let me know. If I am around (and not at work :rolleyes:) I will be happy to meet you.
Hey Musgo,
I arrive late at night on the 27th May and plan to spend the next day in Lisbon. I would love to have some tips or have a local going for a walk. Would you be around? Or I guess you would work as it's a working day...? I will take a look at Laurie's guide but I am also curious to receive any further local tips :)
Wish you a nice day!
Log live the camino spirit ...:)

Hey Pablo,
Thanks a lot for sharing your choices and decisions on the shoe options. And your advice.
I did make up my mind after having checked out some options in an outdoor shop.
So I have my dearest baby, a pair of Merrel light hiking shoes.
Well, now I only have to break them in :)
About the coastal road... Unfortunately I only have 13 days so i cannot do the whole distance at once. I was really tempted by the coastal road from Porto to Santiago, but as I already went to Santiago from Leon once. I opted now for the path between Lisbon and Porto instead. But I need to admit, I still feel the temptation to change my mind, as walking along the coast must be a special experience... Maybe I just have to go back again still this year :)
Thank again for all the advice,
Buen camino

My girlfriend wears Merrels & swears by them
put em on & go 'ahhh yes' seems to be the tester
they feel good first time on, & thats the way it carries on

Re coastal route - a friend joined me in Oporto & we walked together only to the border, when she had to fly home again. I stopped there too, the thought being that when time allowed we'd meet up again & finish what we started together. From memory we only did a week...maybe ten days? But it was all I wanted it to be & I couldnt have asked for more.
I'd bus/train hopped from Lisbon, & if thats the way you go, I do recommend Santa Clara pension in the main square at Coimbra - two brothers run it, Walter & Earnesto - & they are two cool cool cool guys - just start talking food & let what will be be - oh boy.
As for the rest, there was a little nun run hospital type place a short walk from Fatima's ground zero - along a bit & to a round about - sorry to be so vague - but it was the best i found & so sweet - though they leave you alone & the whole place is so hushed it makes you feel like whispering - theres a little kitchen set apart where you can cook your breakfast... I sat in on hymns at the chapel there & the way these dear old ladies sang melted my heart...

Just let the spirit of the journey take you, don't sweat the small stuff, you probably can't change it anyway, be open & easy & grateful for everything that happens - even the shitty shit that occasionally flies your way - it aint nothin but a passing moment & something that makes the good things better...
travel well
& buen camino

I know it's quite a strange choice of a day/date, but I plan to start my Camino in Lisbon on that Thursday, or Friday, anyone being on the road at end of May, starting in Lisbon?
My goal is to to walk till Porto till the 9th June, making use of the great guide PDF of Laurie (thanks for it, Laurie!).
I would love to hear some of your experience about the proper shoes at this time of the year to wear. As I understand, for the ankles the 'high' walking boots are the best, and especially if one carries a backpack, this is more advisable. However, my feet tend to get swollen easily and I am just afraid that such high boots are also more rigid and will cause more blisters and of course sweating is also more of an issue in these ones compared to the 'shorter' walking shoes (so the ones not covering up your ankles).
Any thoughts on this?
Otherwise I can't wait to be on the way, I have read so many motivating posts here...
Anna
H
Any thoughts on this?
Anna
Hi Anna!

Did you already bought your new shoes? did they adivise you to buy them at least half a size bigger? I hope so :)

Well, hi, i am maurice, i am going to walk the camino portugues too, iff i may, and i arive the 26th in Lisabon and start the 27th, iff i may.
So i will be a few days ahead of you, i will follow the guide of John Brierley.
Maybe we'll meet, i wish you a very beautiful caminho in all its means for you.

Bom caminho!
maurice

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi nabann!
Sorry for the late reply but only today I logged back in.
I will be leaving Lisbon some time between May 22nd and June 1st.
If I am here on the 27th/28th I will let you know and it will be a pleasure to go for a walk with you/your group.
I will not be working then so if I am in Lisbon I will make sure to leave the 28th free :)

Hey musgo, I thought you were incapable of walking and could only run. :) Very good to meet you! Bom caminho, Laurie

H

Hi Anna!

Did you already bought your new shoes? did they adivise you to buy them at least half a size bigger? I hope so :)

Well, hi, i am maurice, i am going to walk the camino portugues too, iff i may, and i arive the 26th in Lisabon and start the 27th, iff i may.

Bom caminho!
maurice

Hi, Maurice, Welcome to the forum. I just thought I'd point out that a bunch of us put together what I immodestly think I a pretty good guide for the Lisbon-Porto stretch.

https://caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/lisbon-to-porto-2015-version.298/

It is a good complement to the Brierley guide, I think, and was heavily updated by pilgrims walking last year. So if you use it, send comments my way, because I'd like to keep it up to date, at least for a few more years. And then I don't think it will be much needed anymore. Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi nabann!
Sorry for the late reply but only today I logged back in.
I will be leaving Lisbon some time between May 22nd and June 1st.
If I am here on the 27th/28th I will let you know and it will be a pleasure to go for a walk with you/your group.
I will not be working then so if I am in Lisbon I will make sure to leave the 28th free :)
hey Musgo, no problem at all, I also just see your message now, as I could not log in for a while. So just send a message if you are around and have time :)
Wish you all the best!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
H

Hi Anna!

Bom caminho!
maurice
Hey Maurice,
Thanks for your post. I am so happy to hear that you will be around!!! Let's keep in touch.
Thanks for the note on the shoes, yes, I bought them one size bigger than normal :) so far they seems very comfortable :) let's see what I say in the first days of June. I am so excited, only a few more days and the journey will start, I am sure you are in the same mood :)
So I wish you also all the best for your camino!
Bom caminho!
Anna

Hi, Maurice, Welcome to the forum. I just thought I'd point out that a bunch of us put together what I immodestly think I a pretty good guide for the Lisbon-Porto stretch.

https://caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/lisbon-to-porto-2015-version.298/

It is a good complement to the Brierley guide, I think, and was heavily updated by pilgrims walking last year. So if you use it, send comments my way, because I'd like to keep it up to date, at least for a few more years. And then I don't think it will be much needed anymore. Bom caminho, Laurie
Thank you Laurie for the info, I will check it out and when using it I'll keep you posted with updates.
Don't know iff I already wrote you my thanks somewhere, I am not so good at it (blogs, forums etc. :) )
Take care Laurie!

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back