• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Pamplona

yvonne mccann

Time of past OR future Camino
hoping to do 2 weeks either this July and August (2015)
Hi all. Just a quick one. I live in Ireland and only have 2 weeks this year and don't want to just do the last section as I plan to go back next year...and probably the year after....

My question is would it be strange to start in Pamplona. I would hope to get as far as Burgos... I have about 14 days of walking. It means I wont have the big finish in Santiago but I personally wouldnt feel I had 'earned' that if I started on the last leg.. (nothing wrong with that at all, I know people may only have a week or two ever in their whole lives so of course they want to finish in Santiago!).

Will there be many pilgrims doing this? Just portions of the route?

Thank you and Buen Camino!

Yvonn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Yvonn,

Lots of pilgrims do different sections of the Camino for various lengths of time... If you plan to go back next year and the year after then I would suggest you start in Saint Jean Pied de Port, those first few days before Pamplona in my opinion are great days walking. You could make it from SJPdP to Burgos in about 12 days...

Paul.

Hi all. Just a quick one. I live in Ireland and only have 2 weeks this year and don't want to just do the last section as I plan to go back next year...and probably the year after....

My question is would it be strange to start in Pamplona. I would hope to get as far as Burgos... I have about 14 days of walking. It means I wont have the big finish in Santiago but I personally wouldnt feel I had 'earned' that if I started on the last leg.. (nothing wrong with that at all, I know people may only have a week or two ever in their whole lives so of course they want to finish in Santiago!).

Will there be many pilgrims doing this? Just portions of the route?

Thank you and Buen Camino!

Yvonn
Hi Ivonn , there are pilgrims walking every year a part of the Camino . When you don't have the time to do this in one year you do stages in several years .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Walking the Camino in sections is very usual for Spanish people. In my case, my wife and myself have been doing so for three consecutive years (8-9 days each year in easter weeks) and we expect to finish in Santiago next year. Our first leg was Pamplona to Burgos ; the second was Burgos to Leon; this year we made Leon to Sarria and next year we hope to arrive to Santiago and continue to Finisterre.
It's a very convenient way to complete the Camino when you don't have a full month to walk...

Pamplona is a popular starting point for pilgrims so it will not be strange at all. You will probably meet other pilgrims beginning their camino in Pamplona along with you. It is not unusual for people to walk stages over several years as many people are unable to take a month or more off of work and away from personal commitments. The walk from Pamplona to Burgos is beautiful! Can I be the first to wish you a Buen Camino?!

Hi Yvonn,

Lots of pilgrims do different sections of the Camino for various lengths of time... If you plan to go back next year and the year after then I would suggest you start in Saint Jean Pied de Port, those first few days before Pamplona in my opinion are great days walking. You could make it from SJPdP to Burgos in about 12 days...

Paul.

Paul, I am flying into Bilboa and catching a bus to Pamplona. I was told the first leg from SJPDP is quite tough? I am physically fairly fit but as my camino came to me suddenly I havent been training too much ;) Not sure I'd be able for it.... Plus would it be possible to catch a bus to SJPDP? Thanks so much for reply xx

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Paul, I am flying into Bilboa and catching a bus to Pamplona. I was told the first leg from SJPDP is quite tough? I am physically fairly fit but as my camino came to me suddenly I havent been training too much ;) Not sure I'd be able for it.... Plus would it be possible to catch a bus to SJPDP? Thanks so much for reply xx

Hi, Yvonne, There are Alsa buses from Pamplona to SJPP during the summer months (dates seem to change each year) and Semana Santa. There's a lot of disagreement about starting from SJPP. Many love it, but many caution that it's a bad way for an untrained person to start the camino. Not sure if these numbers mean anything to you, but there is 1200 m (about 3500 ft) of elevation gain over a distance of about 20 kms (11-12 miles), followed by a sharp descent of about 400 m (1200 ft) over a very few kms. I can only say that I've walked it several times and if the weather cooperates, it is a gorgeous day (or two, if you stop to break it up at Orisson). Buen camino, Laurie

No worries. If you are in fairly decent shape and stay hydrated and bring some snacks that first stretch from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is not that difficult. Requires no mountaineering skills, or much training. I've walked it twice with no prior training, as do dozens of people everyday during the Camino season.
Its difficulty level tends to get embellished.

These are some of the main starting points last year - of course there are many more but as you see people start at many towns along the route.
SJPP 29,345 21%
Roncevalles 7,847 6%
Pamplona 4,573 3%
Burgos 3,738 3%
Leon 11,410 8%
Astorga 5,809 4%
Ponferrada 7,979 6%
Villafranca 2,555 2%
O Cebreiro 10,260 7%
Sarria 58,553 41%
Total 142,069

The SJPP start is a recent phenomenon, it is only in the last 10 years that it has overtaken Roncesvalles as the main start of a "long" Camino.

If Pamplona is where you choose to start there is still a big hill (small mountain) to cross on the first day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pamplona is a good place to start. esp if you want to avoid the uphill and the downhill of the Pyrenees. In my opinion the downhill is actually harder.
You get the greenbus A3247 from the airport to Bilbao Bus station. the busstop is to your right as you come out of arrivals. It takes about 30 minutes and comes every half hour. Can't remember if is is on the hour and half hour or on the quarter hours, but the timetable is written up.

You can book your www.alsa.es bus ticket on line if you like. On weekdays there is one at 13.oo and 15,30 and 18.00 and 20.30/ The bus line is La Union www.autobuseslaunion.com.

The walk up Alto del Perdon is steep and I would advise taking a very short day on the first day and staying in Cizur Minor. You can book into Alb Roncal. Madam Roncal likes a confirming phone call. I actually emailed her from home the morning I was leaving.

This year I went from Pamplona to Burgos and it is a really nice two weeks. If you have time to spare Burgos is a fabulous city. If you have not booked your bus ticket for coming back to an airport I suggest you do it the night before rather than wait for the morning you are travelling, as sometimes queues at bus stations can be slow with many people not speaking Spanish and being very slow.

Some one just come in expecting a meal.!! I will post again later.

Buen Camino,

I
I did St JPDeP to Estella this June and wouldn't have done much walking (none) I play football and relied on my fitness from that, I survived those first days and if you are in decent shape you will too, I seen young and old, all shapes and sizes start off that first day to cross the Pyrennes, take your time, take plenty of rests, take your shoes and socks off each time you rest, if you feel anything rubbing apply a compeed, it's better to prevent!, coat your feet in Vaseline before putting on your socks it stops friction, if your like me and the sun scalds you, leave at 6/6:30 get most of the walk done before the intense heat. Just Do It as the Nike ad goes!! Enjoy and Buen Camino
Rita

Welcome Yvonne, you can start your Camino anywhere you wish, as William said starting from St Jean is a relatively new phenomenon. In 2012 we met a man who had taken eight years to reach Santiago, granted he had walked from his home in Germany and used his holidays to walk. I would use "Gloves in a bottle" over vaseline as it dries quickly to a silky finish on your feet and will not mess up your socks, its great for preventing hot spots and blisters.
Whatever you decide Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I started the Spanish part of my walk in Pamplona in 2012 and loved it as a beginning point. I had some relaxed time- with un-tired feet!- to have a look around part of Pamplona the afternoon before. Then next morning it was out into the beautiful landscape heading up to Alto del Perdon. I took some shorter days getting back into it, and stopped at some of the places 'between' the main towns, eg I went only as far as Uterga the first night.
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back