• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting March 2011

PietR

Hi, I am Piet (from South Africa) and plan to start 23 March 2011 from SJPDP. I am somewhat worried about weather conditions at that time of the year? Any typical conditions and temperatures I can expect?

cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Piet,

Expect all kinds of weather in that time of year.
Be prepared for snow, rain, wind at your start, and even heat on the meseta.
Dress in layers.
Take a warm sleeping bag which you can use as a blanket (eventually with a blanket, that really makes a lot of difference).
Take a poncho.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

dutchpilgrim said:
Hi Piet,

Expect all kinds of weather in that time of year.
Be prepared for snow, rain, wind at your start, and even heat on the meseta.
Dress in layers.
Take a warm sleeping bag which you can use as a blanket (eventually with a blanket, that really makes a lot of difference).
Take a poncho.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Hi Carli

thanks for the feedback. I have a feeling it is going to be a most interesting hike. I will try my best to be prepared for all seasons - within (weight & space) limits.

Kind regards

Piet

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi. My name is Michael, from Dublin. My wife and I hope to do our first camino walk in March too. I was wondering what is the best way to get to Sarria from Madrid? Also, we would like to make our own accommdation arrangements ad hoc. Is this advisable? Regards, Michael

There are three buses each day from the airport to Lugo, and many more from the bus station in Madrid. The fare is about 34 Euro. From Lugo there is a regular bus to Sarria for a few Euro more. By train you can go from Madrid through Monforte de Lemos to Sarria leaving at 2230 for about 50 Euro.

Ad hoc is great. March will be no problem for getting a bed.

falcon269 said:
There are three buses each day from the airport to Lugo, and many more from the bus station in Madrid. The fare is about 34 Euro. From Lugo there is a regular bus to Sarria for a few Euro more. By train you can go from Madrid through Monforte de Lemos to Sarria leaving at 2230 for about 50 Euro.

Thanks falcon269

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hullo Piet! If you haven't already contacted the Confraternity of St James in Cape Town you should try to do so. They will be having their practical pilgrim's workshop at the beginning of March - just in time for your walk!
Last year (or was it 2009?) they had 16 straight sunny days in March but by the beginning of April winter came back with a vengance! You might be lucky to miss the worst of it.

Here are a few photos taken in Feb and March 2009
http://www.galiciaenfotos.com/tag/nieve/page/2/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
sillydoll said:
Hullo Piet! If you haven't already contacted the Confraternity of St James in Cape Town you should try to do so. They will be having their practical pilgrim's workshop at the beginning of March - just in time for your walk!
Last year (or was it 2009?) they had 16 straight sunny days in March but by the beginning of April winter came back with a vengance! You might be lucky to miss the worst of it.

Here are a few photos taken in Feb and March 2009
http://www.galiciaenfotos.com/tag/nieve/page/2/

Hi Sil

I will try and make contact with the CT Confraternity this week. I remain optimistic about the weather! My feeling is i will be ok once i am through Roncesvalle.

I need to make up my mind as to what to pack. Hope to draw up a list the coming weekend and start weighing the items.

Kind regards

Piet

Piet,

I will be on the Camino right about the same time frame. (on or about the 23rd of March) I completed the Camino Frances in 2009 around the same time frame. Going back to try some of the alternate routes along the Camino Frances. I will be watching the weather report out of SJPP. If the word out the albergue is not to go up the main route - I will be making plans to take the alternate route.

Buen Camino,

Mike Vander
Aloha, Oregon USA

Hi Mike

thanks for the advice regarding checking the weather status in SJPDP. I will ceratinly do so.

Since you have done it before, you might have some advice for me. I am flying to Bilbao and will make my way from there to SJPDP. Most likely by bus to Bayonne and from there to SJPDP by train.

Is this optimal? How much time should I allow for that?

Thanks

Piet :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
falcon269 said:

Ad hoc is great. March will be no problem for getting a bed.

Hi Falcon269
It seems you know your way around.

Any advice of getting to SJPDP from Bilbao? I have looked at the internet and it seems I would need to take a bus to Bayonne, and then the train from there to SJDP. I can't figure out how long it will take and if i would need to stay overnight somewhere.

Is it worth it to spend a day in Bilbao or Bayonne. I have 2 days spare.
Or should I rather use those days on the camino?

Any tips would be hugely welcome.

regards
Piet

You cannot get there from there.

Just kidding. Spain spent centuries trying to keep the French from invading, or at least deterring an invasion, so there is very limited access between the countries. Trains cross only at the coasts (and have different gauge track, again to prevent rapid access), since the washed out track going to Canfranc was never rebuilt. Bilbao to Bayonne, then the train/bus to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port is the only option. I am not a big fan of crossing the Pyrenees, so I would take the option of Bilbao to Pamplona and start there. But that is just me. I don't mind discomfort, but I avoid misery. I recover from jet lag by getting into the sun and walking, so if I arrive early enough at SJPdP, I walk on to Ho(u)nto. If I start at Pamplona, I walk to Cizur Menor.

I have not been to Bilbao, but a day in Bayonne was more than enough! Extra days on the Camino may come in handy.

The bus from Bilbao - Bayonne goes twice a day (at 7.30 and at 1300 hours). The company is named PESA http://www.pesa.net.
There are many more ALSA buses from Bilao to IRUN from whence you can travel to BAYONNE by bus/train and from BAYONNE to SJPP by train or bus.

OR: Bus from Bilbao to Pamplona on the Compañía “La Burundesa”. Takes 2 hours. About 6 buses per day - and then take Caroline's Express Bouricott taxi service over the mountain to St Jean.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
sillydoll said:
The bus from Bilbao - Bayonne goes twice a day (at 7.30 and at 1300 hours). The company is named PESA http://www.pesa.net.
There are many more ALSA buses from Bilao to IRUN from whence you can travel to BAYONNE by bus/train and from BAYONNE to SJPP by train or bus.

OR: Bus from Bilbao to Pamplona on the Compañía “La Burundesa”. Takes 2 hours. About 6 buses per day - and then take Caroline's Express Bouricott taxi service over the mountain to St Jean.
Thanks Sil. This Bilbao - Bayonne option seems good. I think I land early enough in Bilbao to catch the 13:00 bus. I will look at the site to plan the detail of that leg of the journey.

falcon269 said:
You cannot get there from there.

Just kidding. Spain spent centuries trying to keep the French from invading, or at least deterring an invasion, so there is very limited access between the countries. Trains cross only at the coasts (and have different gauge track, again to prevent rapid access), since the washed out track going to Canfranc was never rebuilt. Bilbao to Bayonne, then the train/bus to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port is the only option. I am not a big fan of crossing the Pyrenees, so I would take the option of Bilbao to Pamplona and start there. But that is just me. I don't mind discomfort, but I avoid misery. I recover from jet lag by getting into the sun and walking, so if I arrive early enough at SJPdP, I walk on to Ho(u)nto. If I start at Pamplona, I walk to Cizur Menor.

I have not been to Bilbao, but a day in Bayonne was more than enough! Extra days on the Camino may come in handy.

Thanks Falcon269

What I read is that it is not a simple journey, but certainly do-able. I will look at the pesa website for bus schedules. I note what your thinking is about the pyrenees, but somehow I have made a commitment to cross them. I will reflect later whether it was a good or bad idea. Time will tell.

Hi Piet.
Late March and April will be wonderful. The weather can be a challenge. Maybe as low as -5 C at night, but warming by mid day, if not by 9:00 am. I've experienced snow at high elevations as late as May 1 but it has melted by the next day

My kit includes:
1) the clothes I wear
2) one change of clothes
3) a fleece jacket, light gloves and hat.
4) sleeping bag.
5) sandals to wear in evening.
6) Poncho or rain jacket.

Don't bother takeing lots of underwear, T-shirts, etc. Get into a routine of "Wear one, Wash one"
One set of clothes to wear, and one change in the rucksack.

Enjoy your journey
David, Victoria, Canada.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
skilsaw said:
Hi Piet.
Late March and April will be wonderful. The weather can be a challenge. Maybe as low as -5 C at night, but warming by mid day, if not by 9:00 am. I've experienced snow at high elevations as late as May 1 but it has melted by the next day
Hi David

Your comments are very positive. I was quite concerned about the weather at some stage, but I have made peace with that - it is outside my control. My kit list also includes a pair of rain pants, but the rest very similar to yours. I am sure I will be able cope. Some people indicated that carrying a small gas stove can be quite useful to prepare something warm on the way. Any experience of that? It implies a small gas cannister and carrying basic utensils, adding weight. Is the luxury worth the weight, I wonder?

I am looking forward to the pilgrimage.

Piet
Port elizabeth, South Africa

My kit includes:
1) the clothes I wear
2) one change of clothes
3) a fleece jacket, light gloves and hat.
4) sleeping bag.
5) sandals to wear in evening.
6) Poncho or rain jacket.

Don't bother takeing lots of underwear, T-shirts, etc. Get into a routine of "Wear one, Wash one"
One set of clothes to wear, and one change in the rucksack.

Enjoy your journey
David, Victoria, Canada.

If you are landing at Bilbao airport there is normally a regular bus service into the city centre with a couple of stops before arriving at the bus station, and the bus station[Termibus} is quite easy to use, there are lots of little ticket offices selling tickets for each bus company and they all depart from different stands, there is also an information desk. I am not sure of the bus company from the airport into Bilbao but it costs about 1.30€. I like Bilbao.
Enjoy your Camino.
Liz

Hi Piet,
The Camino is a necklace of villages interspersed with a few main cities.
These villages are 5 to 10 kms apart and each one has a cafe.
I don't see the need for a stove. By the time you have added a fuel canister etc, it is an extra kilo, or 1.5 kilo. I just supported the cafes along the way. Getting fuel canisters will be a problem. Hunting down an outdoor store in the cities will be an extra effort that you do not need.

Keep your pack light.
Not long now until you are off.
Get in some good training walks with your full pack.

Ultreya (onward!)
David, Victoria, Canada.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
madrid12 said:
If you are landing at Bilbao airport there is normally a regular bus service into the city centre with a couple of stops before arriving at the bus station, and the bus station[Termibus} is quite easy to use, there are lots of little ticket offices selling tickets for each bus company and they all depart from different stands, there is also an information desk. I am not sure of the bus company from the airport into Bilbao but it costs about 1.30€. I like Bilbao.
Enjoy your Camino.
Liz

Hi Liz
thanks for the info. I will make a note of Termibus. My worry was that I might need to sit around for hours waiting for a bus. Knowing myself I would like to get going as soon as I arrive! I'd rather spend time on the Camino than waiting. I might spend a afteroon & night in Bilbao and depart early morning to Bayonne on to SJDP.
I am really looking forward to it.
Piet

skilsaw said:
Hi Piet,
The Camino is a necklace of villages interspersed with a few main cities.
These villages are 5 to 10 kms apart and each one has a cafe.
I don't see the need for a stove. By the time you have added a fuel canister etc, it is an extra kilo, or 1.5 kilo. I just supported the cafes along the way. Getting fuel canisters will be a problem. Hunting down an outdoor store in the cities will be an extra effort that you do not need.

Keep your pack light.
Not long now until you are off.
Get in some good training walks with your full pack.

Ultreya (onward!)
David, Victoria, Canada.

Hi David

thanks for the advice. I tend to agree with you to rather support those shops along the way and keep pack weight to a minimum. And wasting time (& energy) trying to find a shop that sells canisters should not be part of the experience.
I am counting the days now!

Ultreya!
Piet
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back