• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting May 1, 2023 - SJPP

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Aloha all, following up the exceptional experience I had on the Camino Frances this past May, I have now booked flights for Camino #2 in May 2023! I will start once again in SJPP on May 1. Hope to be able to meet some of you out there on the trail! - Jim
Aloha Jim! We should be just a few days behind you! May I ask about your airfare? We will be flying from Portland, Or to Paris. Tickets are about $1200 per person!💸 Did you find anything cheaper? If so which airline or third party? Can’t wait for our first experience on the Camino!

Aloha all, following up the exceptional experience I had on the Camino Frances this past May, I have now booked flights for Camino #2 in May 2023! I will start once again in SJPP on May 1. Hope to be able to meet some of you out there on the trail! - Jim
I am thinking of starting around then but am concerned about snow or bad weather while crossing from SJPDP to Roncesvalles---how as your weather this year?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Aloha Jim! We should be just a few days behind you! May I ask about your airfare? We will be flying from Portland, Or to Paris. Tickets are about $1200 per person!💸 Did you find anything cheaper? If so which airline or third party? Can’t wait for our first experience on the Camino!
Aloha! Unfortunately airfare does cost quite a bit, but in my experience it is one of the bigger costs of the whole Camino experience, and we’ll worth it. Plus I live way out in Hawaii, far away from everything, so I am kind of used to every trip being long and expensive, it just comes with the territory. This past May I flew Lihue - Honolulu - DFW - Paris (then to Biarritz) and that worked well and I thought was reasonably priced. In 2023 I am due to fly Lihue - Seattle - Paris - Biarritz on Delta/Air France, it was costly (more than $1200) but about as efficiently timed as I can get there from here. The first couple days of jetlag are hard but getting out and hiking uphill in that fresh air on the Pyrenees on Day 1 really takes your mind off it ;)

Hope to be able to see you out there somewhere!

I am thinking of starting around then but am concerned about snow or bad weather while crossing from SJPDP to Roncesvalles---how as your weather this year?
This past May I started on May 7. About 10 days earlier they had a big snow storm that closed the pass, but that was no issue for me on May 7. The weather was foggy, low visibility, a bit cool (40 farenheit), but a great experience. That time of year it is just a gamble how the weather will be, but I do think that May is the real turning point. And all of the other Spring flowers, new growth, cooler temps, etc on the trail made it a wonderful experience this past year.

If I were you I would wait a good long while before you start booking airfares. Prices this far out are expensive. I usually wait until about 3 months out to start looking at fares.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I can suggest a travel "hack"... get a United credit card. If you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months (don't go into debt... just pay for gas, utilities, food, insurance, etc... then immediately pay it off) you will get 70,000 free miles. A round trip ticket from Portland to Paris is 60,000-66,000 miles.

My flight for my walk is already booked for late April... free tickets. My daughter will meet me in Sarria for the final week. She did the same thing... free flights already booked. My wife and son will meet me in SdC... same thing. Flights already booked with free tickets.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.