• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my first Camino Sept 25 in SJPdP

Lea Page

Between the Path and the Way: A 1000 Mile Journal
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018)
VF (2022)
Hi all,
My flights are booked: Montana, USA to Biarritz to SJPdP. Back from Santiago Oct 28. I have been collecting my gear and have made reservations for my first few nights. I already walk miles every day, so I just keep on with that. Even though I have three months before I leave, I feel like I have already begun. Is that strange?

I can't say exactly why I am going. So much appeals: knowing what I am to do every day: walk, and only walk. Not knowing anything else: how long, what I will see, who I will meet, what I will think about. Solitude. And companionship. Silence. And stories. Speaking Spanish. Not speaking at all. Relying on myself (I will be sola) and relying on the kindness of strangers. I really have no idea what to expect and, for the very first time in my life, I am so comfortable with that. I can't say that I am walking the Camino for any purpose--other than I feel called to do it. So as I take my morning walks, whether I walk 2 miles or 10, I already feel as if the steps I take now are an echo of the ones I will take this fall.

Mostly, I want to say how very grateful I am for all of the generous comments on this forum. I have been reading and digesting them all. Very reassuring.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Lea,

Welcome! Yes, this site is a great resource on many topics. I was on the Camino Frances about the same time last year and it was a great experience! I met people from more than 35 countries and had very good weather.

¡Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,
My flights are booked: Montana, USA to Biarritz to SJPdP. Back from Santiago Oct 28. I have been collecting my gear and have made reservations for my first few nights. I already walk miles every day, so I just keep on with that. Even though I have three months before I leave, I feel like I have already begun. Is that strange?

I can't say exactly why I am going. So much appeals: knowing what I am to do every day: walk, and only walk. Not knowing anything else: how long, what I will see, who I will meet, what I will think about. Solitude. And companionship. Silence. And stories. Speaking Spanish. Not speaking at all. Relying on myself (I will be sola) and relying on the kindness of strangers. I really have no idea what to expect and, for the very first time in my life, I am so comfortable with that. I can't say that I am walking the Camino for any purpose--other than I feel called to do it. So as I take my morning walks, whether I walk 2 miles or 10, I already feel as if the steps I take now are an echo of the ones I will take this fall.

Mostly, I want to say how very grateful I am to all of the generous comments on this forum. I have been reading and digesting them all. Very reassuring.
You'll meet a lot of great people from all walks of life. I found when I joined in communal dinners at albergues were some of my best memories. Put yourself out there and you'll never regret it.

I'm starting 3 days after you with my (then) wife. Perhaps we shall meet along the way! Might consider adding your departure date to forum calendar.

Hi Lea,
You remind me of me!!! I loved every step, every conversation, the companionship of strangers, the silence, the aloneness, the sense of being where I was supposed to be. I do not know why I was driven to do it, I just know I did what I had to do and it was one of the best things I ever did in my life. Just go and be open to what ever happens. Enjoy and Buen Camino!!!!
Aidan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome to the forum @Lea Page . I'm setting off on camino number three the day after you! Look out for a slightly heavier than perfect guy with a red backpack and it'll probably be me, say hi if you see me.

As @Aidan21 says you are far from alone in wanting to do it without really knowing why. The beauty of this situation is that you're much less likely to be thrown off when things aren't quite as you imagined.

Have a blast and hope to see you along the way,

Rob.

Hi all,

Mostly, I want to say how very grateful I am to all of the generous comments on this forum. I have been reading and digesting them all. Very reassuring.
Your thoughts on the Camino are eloquent. I’ve just returned from the CF and Santiago. I found the Way to be a profound and moving experience— life stripped down to the essentials of walk, eat, sleep, repeated day after day, mixed with occasional deep conversation, short and long friendships, acts of kindness, silence, extraordinary blue skies and puffy white clouds, and your own thoughts, when you have them. The Camino is one of the best things I have ever done in my long life. I wish you all the best in the days ahead on the Way. Your words show that you will begin your walk to Santiago with just the right spirit. Buen Camino!

Even though I have three months before I leave, I feel like I have already begun. Is that strange?

O yes, it is! Wonderfully, magically, extremely strange. And I hope for you that actually walking the Camino you'll have many more surprisingly strange experiences. Each meaningful in their own way.

Enjoy yourself to the max.

Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah you have no idea how lucky you are!! To go without expectations or reasons or any of that head stuff is just amazing. Your heart will know; your head can figure it all out or rather why bother. Be open to whatever the Camino has to offer or has to reveal in oneself. I cant wait to get back there. Enjoy it all. Liam

I'm starting 3 days after you with my (then) wife. Perhaps we shall meet along the way! Might consider adding your departure date to forum calendar.

It sounds like congratulations are in order!! ;)

I'm setting off on camino number three the day after you! Look out for a slightly heavier than perfect guy with a red backpack and it'll probably be me, say hi if you see me.

I'll keep an eye out!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I can't figure out how to do that-- I tried to find the "threads tools/calendar option" without luck. Help?

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back