• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

?Starting Sureste in early March

celticone

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances '13,'18, '19
Portugues '15; Plata '16
I'm proposing to walk Sureste, starting early March. Anyone going then? Trying to go for short days.
I have been reading some excellent blogs/notes on this forum, and am very grateful to those who wrote them.
I think I have downloaded Maps.me and the kml files for at least some of the routes (I found the ones for the first few days on the Lana section).

Some of the albergues seem to have 4 beds - does it seem likely that I would get a bed?

Thanks for reading.
Coming from Edinburgh. Previous Caminos: Frances, Conques, Portuguese, Vezelay by bike

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I walked it in late Apr/May last year I only saw 1 other walker and 2 cyclists so there should not be a problem!

I'm starting on 31st March we're probably not going to meet if we do I'll buy you beer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Maxie.
UPDATE: I think Maxie has chosen a better time.
I have chickened out of this Camino. I am just not fit enough to
1. Have reserves of stamina etc to cope with possible longer distances than are comfortable for me.
2. Carry the heavier load that being on the colder high plateau would require.
3. Carry extra water to allow for long distances between water top ups.
Also my knowledge of Spanish is rudimentary, so I wouldn't enjoy proper conversations with the few people I would encounter.
Basically I am coming slowly out of hibernation in cold Scotland and have not exercised enough.

Maybe I will try to do it later in the year (Sept?) when I hope to be fitter.

In the meantime I had already booked my journey, so I will walk from several fixed bases on the East Coast of Spain.
Thanks to forum members for informative blogs which helped me to be realistic about my abilities.
Ena

Sorry to hear this .Good luck with your future plans.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a good chance we will meet.
I fly into Alicante the morning of Saturday 31st I'm spending the day visiting relatives and gonna walk the town on Sunday then set off on the Monday morning which is the 2nd.
Your very welcome to a beer.
Here is a good site for planning the walk, it's also good for many other Camino walks. The site is free I find it best when zoomed in.
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.41509,-0.4824&z=10&b=oo

Last edited:
There is a good chance we will meet.
I fly into Alicante the morning of Saturday 31st I'm spending the day visiting relatives and gonna walk the town on Sunday then set off on the Monday morning which is the 2nd.
Your very welcome to a beer.
Here is a good site for planning the walk, it's also good for many other Camino walks. The site is free I find it best when zoomed in.
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.41509,-0.4824&z=10&b=oo
I'm also in Alicante for the weekend and planning on setting off on Monday. I had heard of a start in Benidorm which then goes through the hills. Joining the Sureste after a day or two. Have you heard anything about that route?

Not heard anything about a route out of Benidorm and cant find anything on viewranger either. I will have a look on wikiloks later, will let you know if I find anything.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for that @MikeJS.
Did you notice any camping opportunities on the Sureste?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Maxi. Im taking taking very basic camping gear ie; a bivi bag. Think there will be no problems finding places to camp.

A bivi is a good idea for any camino.
I'm going to be carrying a fairly light one man tent. If I was just walking a camino I would take a bivi instead.

Yes it works well. I tried using a tarp one year but was too much faffing around setting it up. I just kept my sleeping bag inside the bivi and I could throw it down anywhere and crawl into it.

I had a look at the Benidorm and villojoyosa start. They look good as take in a lot of the hills in Costa Bksnca. Ive walked there before and it really is stunning. Will depend BV on weather though

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had a look at the Benidorm and villojoyosa start. They look good as take in a lot of the hills in Costa Bksnca. Ive walked there before and it really is stunning. Will depend BV on weather though
This sounds like an interesting alternate start. Do you have a link?

Looks to be an interesting start Steve. I'm gonna set off from Alicante just to ease myself into the walk.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm sitting outside the Santa Maria Bassilica right now enjoying a beer, will be setting off in the AM after getting my Sello.
Goodluck hope to see you on the way.

I'm sitting outside the Santa Maria Bassilica right now enjoying a beer, will be setting off in the AM after getting my Sello.
Goodluck hope to see you on the way.
Hi Maxi, I've had to change my plan. I am in Almería and probably going to walk the Mozarabe as it starts from here. It joins the Via de Plata so unlikely we'll meet up unless one or both of us get very lost. Have a good camino. Good luck. Steve

Hi Maxie,
all the very best on your camino. Hope you get good weather and the body holds up! I'm doing the Sureste this year as well, starting 23rd August so will be interested in hearing your experience. My intention is to head up to Astorga but then move onto the Invierno to Santiago. If time permits I will try to walk out to Finesterre.
Bien camino!

Hi Maxie,
all the very best on your camino. Hope you get good weather and the body holds up! I'm doing the Sureste this year as well, starting 23rd August so will be interested in hearing your experience. My intention is to head up to Astorga but then move onto the Invierno to Santiago. If time permits I will try to walk out to Finesterre.
Bien camino!
I walked the Sureste last year and also walked on to Astorga and then the Invierno. Love it all, I saw less than 4 perigrinios on the Sureste and none as I headed up to Astorga. In fact saw more hikers while I had a coffee in Astorga, as they streamed along the Frances, than I had seen the previous weeks from Alicante. In addition, I only briefly saw 2 other perigrinos on the Invierno. Fine by me as I am very comfortable on my own.

Hi Maxie,
Bien camino!

Hi Joe,
I stayed the first night at the monastery in Orito, was very nice had a 4 bed room to myself.
Take plenty of water on this stage its about 22k untill a fuente and there is no shade.
Tonight I'm in an airbnb in sax. This stage you also need plenty of water there is a stream for most of the way but its brackish water no good for drinking even with filtering. So far the way marks have been excellent and I'm really enjoying myself. The weather has been sunny with a high of around 24c.

Hi Maxi, I've had to change my plan. I am in Almería and probably going to walk the Mozarabe as it starts from here. It joins the Via de Plata so unlikely we'll meet up unless one or both of us get very lost. Have a good camino. Good luck. Steve

HI Steve,
Have a good one.

Hi Maxie,
Thanks for the update. Great to hear all going well. My initial plan for the first three days was Novelda, Villena and Yecla! Walking last year out of Seville in late August I was carrying 3-4 litres for the first few weeks so I'm well used to that. I do hope all continues to go well and the weather stays dry. I will keep a real interest in your camino. Take great care.

I'm in the Hotel Avenida in Yecla book says €20 in reality it's €35 with Peregrino discount. The room has a bath so all good.
I walked 39.6k today flat all the way and quite monotonous plenty of sunshine though.

Hi Maxie,
That was a decent 40k dander to Yecla. I had already booked the Avenida for my third night this summer on booking.com but have paid the full price. Was afraid there may not be any rooms when I arrive in late August this year. After the first three days I will just take what comes. My plan is a 31k, 34k and then a 23k to Yelca - the third day being a bit of a rest day! Keep the details coming.

Hi Joe,
The Hotel was nice and the people friendly. I was given a double room with bath a very welcome sight after a long day.
Today I am in the Alburgue at Montealegre which is excellent. The lady at the town hall would not accept a donativo.
Today was perfect walking weather for me, low 20c, slight cross breeze and full sun. There is a nice place to stop for a brew at 13.5k out from Yecla. A running spring that feeds into a small reservoir where the feet can be given a lovely refreshing soak. You will need a brew kit if you want Tea or Coffee. The walk was pleasant, mainly on gravel track through vineyards with long open views. Good way marking as standard.

Hi Maxie,
You are doing really well. Fantastic info you're giving. I will definitely use the albergue in Montealegra. I don't carry a brew kit but good to know a spot to stop! Are you intending to hit Petrola manana? All the best once again

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Joe,
I'm in Petrola and just booked my airbnb in Albacete for tomorrow.
I got the key to the Alburgue from Damian at his house. There are 4 beds, each has a new mattress. There is no shower but the toilet and sink are clean, it's as much as I need.
The walking was easy enough today and the way well marked.

Hi Maxie,
thanks again for the update. Did you ring ahead to arrange the albergue btw? The basics are all you need sometimes! You have about a 35Km tomorrow to Albacete. Do you intend to go via Chinchilla or by-pass it slightly to the south? Hope the weather stays good for you.

I didn't phone ahead I was going to get to the church then call. A local man met me on the way and took me to Damian's house to get the key. All are very friendly here as has been my experience on this trail.
Gonna have a lunch stop in Chinchilla.
Weather was hazy sun and about 19c today.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Maxie,
Hope you made Albacete safely. Are you planning to hit the bull ring, Plaza de Toros in Roda in one stage or just walk to La Gineta. I think the albergue there though is a polideportivo!

Hi Maxie,
Hope you made Albacete safely. Are you planning to hit the bull ring, Plaza de Toros in Roda in one stage or just walk to La Gineta. I think the albergue there though is a polideportivo!
Hola, Joe,

If I remember correctly they moved "albergue" in La Gineta from polideportivo (where I slept in 2015) to a house somewhere on the way from polideportivo to the church. I think it was last year but anyway the police will know. Policia Local is situated on the other side of polideportivo also with the entrance but not the main one. Not hard to find.

Buen Camino!

Hi joe,
I left Albacete this morning. At the moment I'm having a beer in La Gineta. May stay here tonight and go to Roda in the AM giving me a couple of easy days. I can make it to Roda by 18.00 not quite sure what to do.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi KinkyOne,

Thanks for the info. I am not starting the Sureste until late August but the more I know about these places makes for better decision making and hopefully a smoother camino. Much appreciated.

Hi Maxie,
You've been pushing hard since leaving Alicante and there is always a risk of over doing things but you are best placed to make the call. If you head to Roda today then next two days can be short days Minaya(21km) and El Provencio(23km). Have you checked out the accommodation there in La Gineta yet? If the weather is good for walking then I would consider it but it really depends on you and the time frame you working within.
Good luck on the call

Hi Joe
I decided to stay in La Gineta. Accommodation is in the dressing room by the side of a soccer field. No bed just a couple of mattresses on the floor, there is a shower, toilets and heating. It's the worse place yet but still OK if you don't mind roughing it. Keys can be found at the town hall.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Joe
I decided to stay in La Gineta. Accommodation is in the dressing room by the side of a soccer field. No bed just a couple of mattresses on the floor, there is a shower, toilets and heating. It's the worse place yet but still OK if you don't mind roughing it. Keys can be found at the town hall.
Hi, Maxie,
Is albergue still in this building on attached photo?

Attachments

• 0522-Polideportivo (La Gineta, 21.06.2015).JPG
    0522-Polideportivo (La Gineta, 21.06.2015).JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 0523-Polideportivo (La Gineta, 21.06.2015).jpg
    0523-Polideportivo (La Gineta, 21.06.2015).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 0524-Polideportivo (La Gineta, 21.06.2015).jpg
    0524-Polideportivo (La Gineta, 21.06.2015).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Hi KinkyOne,
Different building. I can't upload photos they seem to be too large, took outside,inside and map of how to get here from the townhall.

Resized. Hope this helps.
2018-04-08 16.03.18.jpg2018-04-08 16.13.09.jpg2018-04-08 16.11.53.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Map right way up.2018-04-08 16.18.15.jpg

Think you've made the right decision. La Roda is a great town with some handsome buildings and well worth ambling around at leisure rather than rushing through. Sleeping in a bullring is a different experience as well (hope to be in another one in nearby Casas Ibáñez on the Lana in about 10 days). If you like sweet things, the local speciality of "miguelitos" are delicious - exploding in your mouth light pastries.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the info will look out for those tasty pastries.
I met a guy on the trail today who was out walking his dog and he raved about staying in the Bullring when he walked the sureste.

So I remembered well. But the interior is just like the changing room in the sports hall. Nothing much changed re comfort :)

I'm thankful for the roof over my head, it looks like later.

You've made the right decision Maxie. What was Albacete like and your airbnb? Are you using the guide by Lewis Roxby Mairis btw.

You've made the right decision Maxie. What was Albacete like and your airbnb? Are you using the guide by Lewis Roxby Mairis btw.[/QUOTE

Basically, Albecete is a modern Spanish city it's nice but not drop gorgeous.
I have the guide and have used it for phone numbers and distances For the actual walk I'm using Wikilocs,Viewranger and Google maps. I'm recording the whole trail in one file on Wikilocs and individual stages on Viewranger. Google maps are great in cities for finding directions to airbnb''s and hostals.
I stayed with a lovely Lady called Maria in Albacete. Her home was stylish and very clean. The single room cost me €18. If I pass through Albacete again I will stay with her.

Cheers Maxie. Have a good evening there and I do hope the sun shines on you in the morning. Take are.

I arrived at the Bullring and phoned Antonio on 630440215 he was there 5 mins after the call ended with the keys. All pretty easy and straightforward.
I have the run of the whole Bullring. It's quite interesting, being able to walk around inside the arena where the bulls are killed before the crowds although at the same time it's
also very sad. The last fight here was held on the 1st of April this year.
The Alburgue is housed in the infirmary and is comfortable, it is a donativo.
The weather has been cold and windy so I'm not sure whether to go to Minaya or El Provencio tomorrow. It will depend upon the weather in the morning.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Maxie,
Once again thanks for the "hands on' update. It's a definite place to stay for me on my Sureste! I do hope the weather picks up again for you. The Sureste and Levante split up in Minaya as you probably know so a little care and attention is needed if you want to be sure of staying on the Sureste! There is the Hostel Antolin (28euros with air con) in Minaya as well as the polideportivo apparently. Thinks there is only the polideportivo in El Provencio but it has a fridge and the hospitareo Manual is supposed to be really friendly. All the best manana!

I arrived at the Bullring and phoned Antonio on 630440215 he was there 5 mins after the call ended with the keys. All pretty easy and straightforward.
I have the run of the whole Bullring. It's quite interesting, being able to walk around inside the arena where the bulls are killed before the crowds although at the same time it's
also very sad. The last fight here was held on the 1st of April this year.
The Alburgue is housed in the infirmary and is comfortable, it is a donativo.
The weather has been cold and windy so I'm not sure whether to go to Minaya or El Provencio tomorrow. It will depend upon the weather in the morning.
If killing of the bulls makes you sad (me too), remember that you are sleeping in the place where they put wounded matadores, picadores, banderilleros etc. ;)

It definitely is a very special albergue!

I stayed in Minaya yesterday a very short day. As I arrived into town the rain just hammered down, was also quite cold and windy. Sports hall is quiet and I had a good night's sleep.
Today was very windy with showers, a hard slog with the wind on the nose all day. The temperature is 1c with the wind chill, so I decided to stay in the Hotel in El Provencia and take it easy after a hard day on the trail.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The hotel was a good call in El Provencia after the unpleasant day on the trail. I didn't realize there was a hotel there. Good to know. Do hope the weather improves for you. I hate cold and rain and that is why I much prefer walking in late summer. I can handle the heat much better than the cold! I assume you won't try hitting El Toboso next if the weather stays the same and just go for Las Mesas. I take it the terrain has been fairly flat and remain that way for a while. Take care

Hi Joe,
I decided to stay another night at the Hotel. The weather today is a WNW wind between 20 and 25 knots and 1c. After 4 days of this continual headwind the weather is set to improve tomorrow so I will walk to El Toboso. It's 44k which is within my limits but will be my longest walk this year.

Hi Maxie,
That seems a wise move. there is just no joy or pleasure walking in those conditions! Fingers crossed the weather will improve and you will get back on track. 44km is a good walk but with a couple of days rest and your camino legs now you should be ready for it. What is the name of the hotel btw and price to stay? All the very best.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hotel is called Tierrallana and is €31 via Booking.com

I arrived in El Toboso at 17.00 beautiful days walk, 45k but flat with views of the vast La Mancha plains. I'm staying in a €15 per night hotel not the best but adequate for a single room.

Well done Maxie. Great to hear you're back on track and the weather hopefully will continue to improve! The plains can be as beautiful as the mountains at times. I assume you will only target Don Fadrique after such a long track today. Enjoy your rest

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Was going to stay in Don Fadrique but arrived quite early so decided to carry-on to Vallacanas and have a short day to Tembleque tomorrow.
Perfect walking weather today, 16c and full sun, loved every step of the way.

Fantastic Maxie. Great the weather has stayed good for you. After the bad spell you deserve a decent stretch of 16C plus! Enjoy it when you can. What is the accommodation like there?

Hi Joe,
In villacanas I stayed at the Prickly Hostel €38 this includes Spanish breakfast of cakes and coffee. The place is on the Camino just after crossing the rail bridge on the edge of town.
Today I'm in Tembleque at the Posada Hotel €27. It's a nice place just to the left of the Camino as you enter town, a large Hotel sign guides the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Maxie,
Well done once again. You are certainly well on track! If you thinking of Almonacid de Teledo I think the accommodation isn't great, at least the polideportivo is very poor apparently. Hope the sun keeps shinning. Buen Camino!

Hi Joe,
I didn't fancy the no bathroom option of Almonacid so I decided to get a room in Mora at Hotel Los Conejos for €30, and walk a longer day tomorrow into Toledo, where I have an airbnb booked for 3 nights. This gives me a good time for touristy city walking.

I would have done exactly the same thing. You've made great process Maxie. Camino legs well formed now! You will find it strange staying in the same place for more than one night. How have you been managing food when walking? Do you always bring food with you to eat or do you stop if cafe/bar open for food during a stage?

€149,-
I would have done exactly the same thing. You've made great process Maxie. Camino legs well formed now! You will find it strange staying in the same place for more than one night. How have you been managing food when walking? Do you always bring food with you to eat or do you stop if cafe/bar open for food during a stage?
HI Joe
I sometimes stop to eat in a cafe but most of the time I make my own food. Sandwiches, noodles, snack bars, nuts, coffee that sort of thing, fast food but nutritious.
I left Mora at 7.45 and arrived in Toledo at 6.15 was a pleasant walk in 23c full sun. It will be a lot tougher in August, there is no shade while walking, plenty of olive trees to chill under for a rest tho.

Enjoy your three days there in Toledo. Apparently it is beautiful and lots to see and do! I know it will be a totally different experience in some ways for me in the heat of late August/ early September but can't wait to get going. Thanks for all the great feedback you have been giving. You've earned your rest!

Left Toledo this morning for Rielves 26.5k. Easy enough to find the route out of Toledo. There is some road walking but mainly farm tracks, a very quiet walk.
Met a Spanish auther on the trail today. The first person with a backpack that I've seen, although he was walking an historic route not Santiago bound.
The Alburgue is next to the church, the priest has the key and lives in the house adjoining to the left. There is no shower or kitchen, but there is a bathroom and four beds. The Alburgue is free.

I'm sure you're happy to get back on the on the road again! Are you targeting Escalona tomorrow? Again thanks for all the info. Buen Camino

Left Toledo this morning for Rielves 26.5k. Easy enough to find the route out of Toledo. There is some road walking but mainly farm tracks, a very quiet walk.
Met a Spanish auther on the trail today. The first person with a backpack that I've seen, although he was walking an historic route not Santiago bound.
The Alburgue is next to the church, the priest has the key and lives in the house adjoining to the left. There is no shower or kitchen, but there is a bathroom and four beds. The Alburgue is free.

Hi Maxie,

I was wondering if you have stumbled upon any information about the new alternative in the area, that goes through Villamiel de Toledo (instead of Rielves). It seems you took the Rielves option - good choice! It is a nice and quiet walk. It would be interesting to hear about anyone checking out Villamiel de Toledo though.

These are the alternatives in the area:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-santiago-between-toledo-and-escalona.42809/

Take care!

/Bad Pilgrim

Hi Maxie,

I was wondering if you have stumbled upon any information about the new alternative in the area, that goes through Villamiel de Toledo (instead of Rielves). It seems you took the Rielves option - good choice! It is a nice and quiet walk. It would be interesting to hear about anyone checking out Villamiel de Toledo though.

These are the alternatives in the area:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-santiago-between-toledo-and-escalona.42809/

Take care!

/Bad Pilgrim

Just checked the link. The start is on a very busy N road I don't think that is a way that I would like to walk.
The walk to Rielves is so peaceful I can't see the point of walking on a busy road.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was going to stay in Escalona. When I got there it was still early and it was such a beautiful day I decided to camp, so I carried on 8k past Paredes and found a really nice spot for the night with a 4G signal.
It was a long day in the end 12hrs and 48k walked.

Good for you Maxie. That was a long day's trek! I did not realize your were carrying a tent. You are well into your camino now and certainly making the most of it. Well done and hopefully the weather stays good.
Buen Camino!

Yesterday I walked to the hill above San Bartolome it was such a nice end to the day I pitched my tent and enjoyed the stars.
The tent I carry is also my rain gear and is called the Gatewood cape.
Over the last two days I've met 5 pilgrims, the Sureste is becoming the new Frances.
2018-04-23 19.04.28.jpg
2018-04-23 19.03.35.jpg
Today I'm in a room in Avila at the hostal bellas, €23 per night. It's right in the old town, good sized room with a bath. The room is booked for two nights with an option of a third. I do like exploring new cities.

Over the last couple of days the terrain has changed from farm land to cow country with lots of huge boulders. The best part of walking across a country for me is seeing the gradual change of scenery. There is plenty of water on the way but you will need to filter it. I carry a Sawyer mini squeeze light weight and works well.

Attachments

• 2018-04-23 17.23.39.jpg
    2018-04-23 17.23.39.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
Fantastic pic Maxie. What a setting to pitch your tent! Beautiful spring flowers surrounding your camp as the sun starts to drop from the sky. Idyllic. Good for you Maxie. I also love the changing landscapes as one walks across a country and looking back over where you've come from. The isolation and peacefulness of these days and nights are so special. Hope you enjoy Avila and it allows you to recharge the batteries. Again thanks so much for all the feedback and glorious pics. Take care

Hi Joe,
After staying in Avila for four days it was back on the trail yesterday. I walked to Gotarrendura not intending to stop but missed an arrow and ended up at the ayuntamiento. Upon arriving I met a lady and she asked me if I wanted the Alburgue I took this as a sign and said yes. The Alburgue is very good, fully equipped also with washer, dryer and soap powder. It's donativo and one of the best Alburgue's that I have stayed in.

Today I'm in Areval and decided to stay in a hostal, it was about to start raining and I didn't want to hunt around for a bed. At €30 the place is pleasant enough.
Walking today was very easy, flat all the way, with the last 10k through a pine plantation which I enjoyed.

Thanks Maxie for all the great info on your travels. It will so useful for me when I'm on the Sureste later this year. Hope the weather stays good for you. Btw what weight do you carry on your backpack, not including food and water? In the hotter months when I usually walk I have around 7kg but I realize you probably need more gear for a Spring camino.

Hi Joe,
Here is my kit list.
https://lighterpack.com/r/bfljx9

This morning there was rain and snow so had a late start. Once I got going the weather changed for the better just a couple of showers but nothing major.
Turned into a nice afternoon so I've decided to camp just outside of Medina del Campo in the forest. Over night low is 1c with 10 to 20 kph winds from the SW.

Hi Maxie,
Very impressive kit list! You certainly have everything peared down to the minimum. May re-examine mine! You are a brave one to camp out in those conditions. Good for you.

Was a nice night after the wind dyed down. Today I'm staying in the Municipal Alburgue in Tordesillas and a very smart place it is. Probably the best Municipal that I've ever stayed in. There is another Pilgrim here. Roger from Ireland, nice guy. That makes it 6 Peregrino's so far, with 3 days to Benevente I don't think I will make double figures.
Had some showers with hail today, all good tho I'm still smiling.

€149,-
Will certainly take note of the albergue as a place to stay on my camino. Thanks again for the info. You're a tough one Maxie, no doubt about it, in the way you've handled the conditions so far. Do hope the weather picks up again for you though. Are you only going as far as Benavente?

I'm in the Municipal Alburgue at Mota del Marques today it's clean, heated and more than adequate for me. The town is very pilgrim friendly with a nice bar.
I go to Villalpando tomorrow just one day away from Benevente. I think I will walk up to Astorga which will finish the VDLP for me I walked Sanabras route before so missed a couple of stages out. Then will probably pick up the Invierno out of Ponferada into Santiago.

Another note taken on the accommodation front Maxie. I did the Sanabres last year following the VDLP from Seville so it's my intention to push up to Astorga and do the Invierno as well this year to Santiago. Really grateful for all the feedback.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Today was again easy enough walking, mainly flat and no rain which is a bonus. I walked 38.5k guide said 43k. The villages that I passed through, the bars and shops were closed and had a look of permanence about them.
On reaching Villalpando I decided to stay in a Hostal for €20 per. It is everything that I need, a Supermarket is 5 mins away and the WiFi is excellent. Tomorrow I reach Benevente and the end of this phase of my journey.

Last year I stayed in the AdP in Villalpando which is between the school and local police station. There was a large signpost to it which made a change from having to hunt for it. AdP was very simple, it had 6 beds in 3 rooms and the hospitalero seems to live in! No locks on any doors……

Hope it is still all going well. In Benavente I knew I had to get the AdP key from the tourist office and was just hoping it would be open. I arrived at just before 1300 and it turns out they close at 1300 as its a festa day so I hope you find it OK.
Benavente to La Baneza 43 kms
Firstly, I want to mention the Taberna Don Pablo in Benavente which is just about the first bat when you walk up from the AdP. It was very good, they were very helpful and you could eat at any time!
As for today's walk it was excellent! So I wonder if BP had a bad day when he walked it! Walk out of Benavente was simple and along a quiet road for about 5 kms. After that it was with off road or along a very quiet road ( I didn't see any vehicles) and the section from Infantada almost to Benavente was mostly along a river bank. Overall, one of the nicest walks so far. Helped by feeling good, in fact I considered walking on to Astorga but chose not to as it would have made distances very awkward for the next couple of days. Good to see a few VdlP signs and my first menu de peregrino offered since I left Alicante! Off to Rabanal del Camino.

Hi Mike,
I'm in the AdP in La Baneza and very nice it is. A very friendly lady who lives at #20 across from the front door of the AdP holds the key. The walk today was nice with great weather, there was a little bit of tarmac but I'm not complaining walking by the river was relaxing. On to Astorga in the AM probably just do a short day and relax a little. This will be my third visit already done the touristy stuff so may even walk straight through.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Conclusion to the Camino del Sureste.

I found the walk to well marked with good paths, although after heavy rain a 1/3 of these will be awkward due to sticky mud.
On the whole the way is basically flat with a little ascent towards Avila. The highest point was 1374m but considering that most of the walk is at an altitude of between 7 and 800m not much of a climb.
Accommodation is easy to find but varies in quality you get what you pay for. A lot of the bars don't open untill midday or sell food.
I only met 6 other pilgrims in over 800Kms of walking. If you need a friend take one with you. A very quiet peaceful walk.

Hey @Maxie thank you very much for the invaluable information.

Walking the Sureste, did you find its landscape boring or not? I can't decide whether walking the Sureste as I will be in Alicante in July or get a bus to Irun to walk the Camino del Norte.

I saw you have also walked the Norte and I know these are two totally different paths but I would give me some pros and cons about the Sureste in "comparison" with the Norte I would deeply appreciate it.

Thank you :)

Hi Matteja,
There is a huge difference in the two routes.

The Sureste is mainly walked along farm tracks, much of it is flat easy walking so good for introspection and reflection. The way is well marked so very little in the way of navigation is required although if you decide on this route the CSJ guide is a great help. You will meet few people and will be walking alone for the most part. Spanish language skills will also help but is not a must have.

I've walked the Norte twice. The first time I walked the vanilla path which is a good walk but a with fair bit of tarmac involved. On the second occasion whenever the path intersected with a GR route or the E9 I would take that path and hug the coast. I preferred hugging the coast and would walk the same way again.
You will meet plenty of people mainly in the 20 to 30 age range.
The walking is varied with plenty of ascent and descent for a Camino.
The Primativo can also add a little more variety to the walk if you take that route as opposed to walking a full Norte and of course if you hang a left just before Llanes the mountains of the Picos de Europa are there to be climbed, I spent 8 days in the Picos last time I walked the Norte and enjoyed every second, you will need a tent if you decide to do this.
If I only had the chance to walk one of the routes, it would have to be the Norte because of the mountain and Ocean views. There is also the other optional side walks that can be had along the way.

€149,-
Thank you very much @Maxie I had ordered the Sureste guide from the Asociaciòn de Amigos de Santiago en Alicante as due to work reasons I will be in Alicante till the end of June. However I think the Sureste might be a little too lonely for me (I am an introvert but I also need to meet and talk to other pilgrims), on this route there are beautiful places I really would love to visit (El Toboso, Mota del Marques, Toledo, Avila and so on) however as you confirm, I was afraid the landscape would be too monotonous.

I am quite sure now I will get a bus to Irun and start the Camino del Norte, I think I will leave the Sureste for the near future.

Thank you :)

My memory of the terrain on the Surest is a little different from Maxie - I thought overall there was a lot of variety through the various stages. However, there are very few pilgrims - I met around 5 and they were mostly in the last 100km of the Sureste.

There is 5539m of ascent and 4971m of descent over 817Kms. Which gives an average ascent of 6.78m per km walked and an average descent of 6.08m per km walked if you times these figures by daily distance walked you will see this is a flat walk. Picture is of my recorded track from where I got the figures.
Screenshot_2018-05-09-20-51-29.png

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here is the track of Camino del Norte, not my track.
Screenshot_2018-05-09-21-28-57.png

The track of the Via de la plata, not my track.
Screenshot_2018-05-09-21-53-02.png

I stand by my experience of the Camino del Sureste as being generally flat.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Maxie. Have been away for a week or so and had no means for connecting to the forum. You have provided great info all along the way that I've said before will be great for me later this year. Are you now on the Invierno as you considered earlier as your likely route to Santiago? I'm sure you found it odd around Astorga with the great many pilgrims about compared with the isolation of the Sureste! Hope all continues to go well.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back