starting the camino from Astorga - arrival at evening

michalg

Oct 2, 2016
Time of past OR future Camino
arriving 3rd of October 2016 to walk a part of the Camino
Hi,
Due to too many things n my schedule I didn't really have the time to Plan my camino...and it' tarting point.
Arriving tomorrow at 13:30 o Madrid and thinking of aking the 15:30 train to Astorga. This means I will arrive at 20:20 to Astorga. then what? can I get Camino passport Wednesdy morning? Any recommended place to sleep? there will be the 2 of us, and we don't mind getting private room for the 1st night. any help will be appreciated

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Dec 28, 2007
Norway and UK
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Hi and welcome! Starting from Astorga is my favourite, a beautiful walk lies ahead of you.
In Astorga there are two albergues, I would recommend the Siervas if you want to stay at one of them. They will also (pretty sure) sell credentials. If you want a private room, and at that time of night that might be a good idea as you will have time to land, get a meal etc and not have to be in bed by ten, I have stayed at the Hotel Astur Plaza on the main square, it is a bit pricey but has a restaurant downstairs and the camino goes over the square so it's easy to find in the morning. There is also Hotel Gaudi, right by the Bishop's palace and the church, again with restaurant downstairs and the Camino right outside.
Hope that helps, buen camino!

Kanga

Veteran Member
Jun 2, 2005
Sydney, Australia
www.jillhill.com.au
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Astoria has a good municipal albergue - where I enjoyed my stay in May. I avoided the private albergue as it was reported to have bed bugs at the time, hopefully that has been dealt with. As Nidarosa suggests, the Hotel Plaza Astur is good (I've stayed there) but expensive at about €70.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
I would recommend trying to get your credential in the evening, hurrying to the albergue before they close for the night. If not you should head to the albergue first thing in the morning before it closes for the day. Otherwise you might find yourself waiting for it to re-open so you can get your credential. However, hanging around Astorga is not a bad thing!

W

whariwharangi

I get Renfe train Madrid to Astorga leaving 1730 .... not 1530.

(Which is good because I don't think you'd make it in time for 1530 departure)

Try internet search including 'Hotel' and 'Astorga'. There are websites that specialize in hotel bookings such as 'expedia.com' and 'booking.com'. You can find your preferred location, price, and comfort.

I don't know where you would go to get a credencial. Try contacting Amigos de Santiago de Astorga.
http://www.caminodesantiagoastorga.com/index.php

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Jan 16, 2012
USA
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
Reactions: billmclaughlin

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Astoria has a good municipal albergue - where I enjoyed my stay in May. I avoided the private albergue as it was reported to have bed bugs at the time, hopefully that has been dealt with. As Nidarosa suggests, the Hotel Plaza Astur is good (I've stayed there) but expensive at about €70.
I avoided the private one also because of bed bug reports, only to get bed bugs at the municipal. :(

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.