• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the Camino Mozarabe on the 1st October 2019 from Almeria - Arrows along the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
Hi all,
I am planning to walk as a solo pilgrim the Camino Mozarabe next October and I am a bit unsure about the amount of signs and arrows along the way. I have walked several caminos among which the Via de La Plata (last year) but this route seems less popular.
Could anyone who walked this route give me some feedback about the signage on the way.
I have looked on google maps street scape ..normally I see several yellow arrows but this time hardly any.
I will be using the GPS maps.
Thank you and kind regards,
Ray

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Raymond - The route is very well marked with yellow arrows and stone markers. There are only a couple of exceptions (e.g. leaving Guadix and Granada). Which part of the route did you look at? if you tell me, I'll try to screenshot some arrows to show you.

Hi, I walked The Mozarabe from Almeria to Granada during Easter 2019 and I had no difficulties following the yellow markers. I'm very good at getting lost but it did not happen once. I didn't have a map, I used Maps.me to see where I was.
If you contact the Associations of Friends of The Mozarabe Way in Almeria before you go, they will meet you and provide you with information on the route and albergues. You even get a contact mobilphonenumber in case of emergency. And they will give you the doorcode to some of the albergues, you will need that if there is no hospitaleros around.
Buen camino to you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked it in March/April and it is very well marked. I downloaded the tracks for Wikilok but rarely had to use them. The only problem I had was on the stage out of Granada where I got lost 3 or 4 times and had to resort to maps

Dear All,
Thank you very much for your response and also that you put my mind at rest. I wish to contact the Associations of Friends of The Mozarabe Way in Almeria before I leave as I wish to meet anyone of them before I start my walk from Almeria Does anyone has any contact details? That will help a lot.
Many thanks and kind regards,
ray

Hi, Ray,You will love this route! Here’s the webpage. It has a link to the association guide, which is updated monthly. And it is really all you need. The website also has several email addresses if you scroll down far enough. Their members are attentive and very hard working for us pilgrims!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Ray,You will love this route! Here’s the webpage. It has a link to the association guide, which is updated monthly. And it is really all you need. The website also has several email addresses if you scroll down far enough. Their members are attentive and very hard working for us pilgrims!

Well marked from both Almería and Malaga to Córdoba. Haven't walked past Córdoba yet

I wish to contact the Associations of Friends of The Mozarabe Way in Almeria before I leave
In addition to the email addresses that Peregrina2000 mentions above, you can also contact the Almeria association through their facebook page:

If you are flying to Almeria, I would also recommend staying at the Molino de Aguafresca - Jorge's house near the airport, with rooms for pilgrims. He is a member of the association and he will meet you at the airport (if you contact him in advance to arrange it) and offer you some guidance. (Details are in the guide to albergues published by the association).

Hi, I walked The Mozarabe from Almeria to Granada during Easter 2019 and I had no difficulties following the yellow markers. I'm very good at getting lost but it did not happen once. I didn't have a map, I used Maps.me to see where I was.
If you contact the Associations of Friends of The Mozarabe Way in Almeria before you go, they will meet you and provide you with information on the route and albergues. You even get a contact mobilphonenumber in case of emergency. And they will give you the doorcode to some of the albergues, you will need that if there is no hospitaleros around.
Buen camino to you.

This is of tremendous help thank you. I am planning to leave from Almeria early Sept 2020 to do the Camino Mozarabe. I ternes searches are not giving me such great infirmation.

Glad to know the marking is now good as I had some problems back in 2016 especially in the bamboo forest. I found it a very lonely experience and was glad I could speak Spanish. Before Cordoba I only met 2 pilgrims for one night each as one was on a bicycle and the other was finishing the next day. To be fair I was not in the best of moods as I had cracked a bone in my foot on the third morning.

Glad to know the marking is now good as I had some problems back in 2016 especially in the bamboo forest. I found it a very lonely experience and was glad I could speak Spanish. Before Cordoba I only met 2 pilgrims for one night each as one was on a bicycle and the other was finishing the next day. To be fair I was not in the best of moods as I had cracked a bone in my foot on the third morning.
I will check out the bamboo forest more carefully. I am fluent in French and Spanish which may be of help should I have difficulties. Your I formation falls into my open heart. Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all, we are starting this Camino beginning of October this year. There are most likely three of us. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a credential from the Friends of the Camino in Almeria? Or from somewhere else there? TIA

Hi all, we are starting this Camino beginning of October this year. There are most likely three of us. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a credential from the Friends of the Camino in Almeria? Or from somewhere else there? TIA
Three options:
1. Contact the Almeria Associacion and arrange to meet them. You need to be in touch with them to get the codes to open the albergues. Highly recommended to meet them in Almeria, since they are the angels who will support you all the way to Granada. They can provide you with the credencial.
2. Stay at Molino Aguafresca (listed in the guide). The owner - Jorge - is a member of the Almeria association and will spend time to give you the latest information about what lies ahead. He has credencials. His place is near the airport so he can pick up pilgrims who stay at his place from the airport. Following day he can drive them to the center of Almeria to start their pilgrimage. Highly recommend as a place to start your camino. Wonderful to share dinner with Jorge and his wife.
3. Tourist information Center in the center of Almeria has credencials. A backup option if you can’t meet anyone. You’re going to need to contact the association to get the codes for the albergues.

Hi all,
I am planning to walk as a solo pilgrim the Camino Mozarabe next October and I am a bit unsure about the amount of signs and arrows along the way. I have walked several caminos among which the Via de La Plata (last year) but this route seems less popular.
Could anyone who walked this route give me some feedback about the signage on the way.
I have looked on google maps street scape ..normally I see several yellow arrows but this time hardly any.
Ray
I am not of great help t you at this time however, in preparation for this same route for me Sept 2020, i started looking for resources in French, English and Spanish. I DID find clearly defined stages which I will gladly share with you this winter when I reached everything. I just temper it’s 9 long days to Granada over mountainous terrain and that there is a well-organized pilgrim association in Almeria.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am not of great help t you at this time however, in preparation for this same route for me Sept 2020, i started looking for resources in French, English and Spanish. I DID find clearly defined stages which I will gladly share with you this winter when I reached everything. I just temper it’s 9 long days to Granada over mountainous terrain and that there is a well-organized pilgrim association in Almeria.
With regard to long stages - The Camino from Almeria to Granada is 200km. The guide (published by the Almeria association) suggests nine stages, but there are albergues at intermediate points on most stages. Pilgrims can choose to break the route into shorter stages. If you prefer not to walk more than 20km per day, it's possible with one exception (Alquife to Guadix - 24km downhill)
With regard to mountainous terrain - The high point of the Almeria to Granada route is 1,400m altitude, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains (with views of the highest peaks of the Spanish mainland(). The path to reach this point is very walkable. It's not a technical climb.
With regard to challenging terrain - The greatest challenges on the Almeria to Granada route are 1) the riverbed walking in the first few stages. The rocky surface of the riverbeds is exhausting; and 2) the steep climb up the side of the valley out of Alboloduy, which,I hear, has been greatly improved

From what I hear, the route from Malaga takes in some beautiful scenery. The albergue network is good. I understand that there are some tiring climbs but no riverbed walking. I would like to do it one day. The Almeria route is longer, has beautiful scenery, some challenging riverbed days, and fantastic support from the association.

I hope this helps.

Hi all,
Ray
I think that this is currently one of the best way marked Caminos. I walked it in 2018 and was hugely impressed with the way marking. I walked alone and am not very techno-savvy...given that I am a gal over 70...but the Amigos that oversee the portion between Almería and Granada are hugely invested in this Way and it has all the thumbs up I can muster!

it’s 9 long days to Granada
Or 10 not-so-long days.
With regard to challenging terrain - The greatest challenges on the Almeria to Granada route are 1) the riverbed walking in the first few stages. The rocky surface of the riverbeds is exhausting; and 2) the steep climb up the side of the valley out of Alboloduy, which,I hear, has been greatly improved
I agree, but I'd add the steep descent on that same day from Alboloduy. I wouldn't want to do that without walking poles!

Three options:
1. Contact the Almeria Associacion and arrange to meet them. You need to be in touch with them to get the codes to open the albergues. Highly recommended to meet them in Almeria, since they are the angels who will support you all the way to Granada. They can provide you with the credencial.
2. Stay at Molino Aguafresca (listed in the guide). The owner - Jorge - is a member of the Almeria association and will spend time to give you the latest information about what lies ahead. He has credencials. His place is near the airport so he can pick up pilgrims who stay at his place from the airport. Following day he can drive them to the center of Almeria to start their pilgrimage. Highly recommend as a place to start your camino. Wonderful to share dinner with Jorge and his wife.
3. Tourist information Center in the center of Almeria has credencials. A backup option if you can’t meet anyone. You’re going to need to contact the association to get the codes for the albergues.
Thank you Raggy, we will certainly contact the association, and contacting Jorge sounds like a perfect start. Sounds like we can hold off with the credential till we get to Almeria, puts my mind at ease.

Hi Ronald, you can scout the terrain ahead of us :) I found this site (from the Association mentioned above) and I feel it is pretty comprehensive. Buen Camino Amigo

Or 10 not-so-long days.

I agree, but I'd add the steep descent on that same day from Alboloduy. I wouldn't want to do that without walking poles!
have poles, will walk....:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am walking this camino in late Sept and further to comments above contacted the association above and the contact ( Mercedes) sent the following comment - ' I recommend you to sleep in Almería in a place of our host network to the pilgrim. It is next to the cathedral, it is cheap and very clean and includes breakfast. It's a nuns' lodge. It's called the residence Juana Maria la condesa Lluc.'

I had read about Jorge's place on this forum and am now a bit unsure - does anyone have any experience of both or strongly recommend either.

thanks

I had read about Jorge's place on this forum and am now a bit unsure - does anyone have any experience of both
I haven’t stayed at the nuns residence but I know that you can completely trust Mercedes’ recommendations.
Location wise, near the cathedral is ideal for visiting the city before you start the Camino and you can start the Camino from the front door. Nice.
Jorge’s place is out of town - there’s a bus into town but it’s not as convenient if you’re thinking of spending a day or two enjoying Almeria . If you need picking up from the airport on arrival - or if you are not planning on tourism on the day that you arrive - or if you want a home cooked dinner with Jorge and his wife with their sincere hospitality - those are all reasons to stay with Jorge.

Thanks Raggy, think I will go with Mercedes recommendation as we only have 1 afternoon before setting off the next morning.
Mark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

We have now completed the Camino Mozarabe, walking from Almeria to Merida. Gerard and I documented our walk, in English and Dutch, in our Find Penguins blog, which you can access here...
Our suggestions for updates to the Mozerabe Guide 1.Ocaña: We had some trouble finding the albergue. Keep following the Camino route and look for the blue albergue marker beside the church. The...
The Almería Association has just published a book compiling the comments of female pilgrims from all over. The presentation of the book was last week in the Museo de las Peregrinaciones in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back