• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying in Santiago

cardozohughes

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
Hello,

My husband is meeting me in Santiago after my walk. I am looking for lodging recommendations. Nothing fancy, but comfortable. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,

My husband is meeting me in Santiago after my walk. I am looking for lodging recommendations. Nothing fancy, but comfortable. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Laurie
Hi! At the end of both of our Caminos we stayed at the Hotel Virxe da Cerca .....very close to everything and a very nice hotel.

Pension Hortas at Rua das Hortas. Close to the Oficina de Peregrinos and to the best breakfast place in Santiago : Café Tertulia.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello,

Thanks,
Laurie
I booked the Hotel Entrecercas. Its seems reasonable and close to the cathedral. I hope its OK. The reviews were good. I will be there in early June so not sure if they have availability still as I booked a few months ago. Michael

Sete Artes by Como en Casa
Dúas Portas, 2, 15705 Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, Spain

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I didnt mean to be critic. I stayed at Sete Artes about 20 nights in spring 2022. It is just off Praza Obradoiro next to San Martin. Rooms ar very comfortable and clean. It’s not exactly a hotel or a hostel - somewhere in between. You check yourself in and out via automatic self check. You have a key code to get in and out of building. And you hear the TUNA concert every night at 10pm from your open window! Great location. Less than 100 Euros a night

Not terribly relevant to the OP's question, but the best place to stay in SDC in my view is the Albergue San Lazaro. The nicest most relaxed municipal imaginable, perfect facilities and the friendliest hospitaleros I've encountered, true lovers of the Camino and so helpful to pilgrims. And for those of you tired of the relentless imposition of the rules in other hostels, in the SL there are none. Stay 3 days, come and go as you please, no need to leave at 8 am, or at all. Endless hot water. Crockery in kitchen. For 8 euro a night. A riposte to the culture of regimentation and pain in other albergues, and a reminder of how unnecessary it all is.

Not terribly relevant to the OP's question, but the best place to stay in SDC in my view is the Albergue San Lazaro. The nicest most relaxed municipal imaginable, perfect facilities and the friendliest hospitaleros I've encountered, true lovers of the Camino and so helpful to pilgrims. And for those of you tired of the relentless imposition of the rules in other hostels, in the SL there are none. Stay 3 days, come and go as you please, no need to leave at 8 am, or at all. Endless hot water. Crockery in kitchen. For 8 euro a night. A riposte to the culture of regimentation and pain in other albergues, and a reminder of how unnecessary it all is.

Thanks for the tip. The San Lazaro is one albergue I certainly will not stay in.
Unlike you, I like strict rules and curfew in albergues.Guess I have a different idea than you about regimentation and pain.

What a good thing we pilgrims have so much options for lodgings, especially on the CF.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not terribly relevant to the OP's question, but the best place to stay in SDC in my view is the Albergue San Lazaro.

There are plenty of a places in Santiago with a more relaxed atmosphere and where you can stay longer than one night and without curfew. San Lazaro isn't even in the city, but 30 minutes walking out along a pretty soulless stretch of the N634, not a particularly nice walk back after a curfew free late night in the old town.

At the end of many Caminos I have happily stayed at the Libredon Barbantes on the Paza de Fonseca literally around the corner from the Cathedral. It is so close that I could see the towers from the ceiling window as well as hear the great bells chime. I loved it and felt like Quasimodo at Notre Dame! See more here.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Another vote for the Hotel Costa Vella! Great family run hotel, very reasonably priced, a wonderful garden where you can have breakfast or an evening drink and great rooms that are maintained superbly. This is my go-to place after my Caminos.

6 or 6A bus, one euro. But de gustibus non est disputandum

Putting tastes aside (reluctantly), It's not in a convenient location at all, unless you want to stay there the night before arriving in SdC, so you have a relatively short walk into the square early in the morning..

Only for the elect, then I see ... Those willing to take the bus to town so as to experience the last outpost of the true Camino. One of the kindly hospitaleros is steeped in Camino lore, to the point that he discovered a new short Camino and now has it officially by the Junta de Galicia ... It runs, incidentally, through his home town. Those who know, go.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Only for the elect, then I see ... Those willing to take the bus to town so as to experience the last outpost of the true Camino. One of the kindly hospitaleros is steeped in Camino lore, to the point that he discovered a new short Camino and now has it officially by the Junta de Galicia ... It runs, incidentally, through his home town. Those who know, go.

You seem to be quite enamoured with the place, but calling it the last outpost of the true camino might be stretching things.

The Camino Barbanza is one of many 'new' caminos being promoted in Galicia. Have you yourself walked it?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.