Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

Staying in SJPDP

Year of past OR future Camino
As a follow up to my earlier post, we want to stay in SJPDP for two nights before setting off...we thought it would be nice to spend a day walking around the town as we are going to arrive in the evening...

I have temporarily reserved Maison Simonenia. Does anyone know this place and is it ok, in terms of location etc?

Many thanks...

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

domigee

Veteran Member
2020? Looks like.... nowhere! 😁
Hi again! Sorry, I don’t know Maison Simonenia.
I know lots of people choose to stay 2 days In St Jean but personally, I’d stay in Bayonne one night and the next in St Jean. Bayonne is a lovely town with lots of nice restaurants and... I find St Jean very small, it doesn’t take long to go round it...
But that’s just one opinion amongst many! 😉

Dorpie

RIP 2019
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015, July 2017, October 2019
Hi @Patrick Hickmott .

Can't say anything about the quality but in terms of location you couldn't do any better.

Edit: Damn! @domigee beat me to it again! And even worse I tend to agree with her, there's not a huge amount to see and do in St Jean so staying in Bayonne and not having to worry about getting from the airport to St Jean when you arrive makes sense.

Last edited:
Thanks again both!! You guys are really on the ball...

I'll have a chat with my wife and we'll make a decision then...

I really appreciate the advice...

JamesVT

Camino Frances 2019
There’s not a lot to do in St Jean. I’d suggest you just stay overnight and then set off on the Camino in the morning. Buen Camino!

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
I always stay two nights at SJPdP before starting out.

If you end up buying souvenirs, like the locally made authentic Basque espadrilles (they are CHEAP) you might consider sending a bag / suitcase direct to Santiago using Express Bourricot. Not cheap, but the best available way to get something the whole way.

Check them out at .expressbourricot.com or about two doors from the SJPDP pilgrim Office in Rue de la Cittadel.

Hope this helps.

I always stay two nights at SJPdP before starting out.

If you end up buying souvenirs, like the locally made authentic Basque espadrilles (they are CHEAP) you might consider sending a bag / suitcase direct to Santiago using Express Bourricot. Not cheap, but the best available way to get something the whole way.

Check them out at .expressbourricot.com or about two doors from the SJPDP pilgrim Office in Rue de la Cittadel.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to discuss with my wife whether we should stay one night in Bayonne and the next at SJPP

VAtoNC

305 miles of the Frances, 2019. Planning another Frances 4/20 and will go the distance this time!
I'm flying into Paris from the US arriving 0700. I have an 1118 train from DeGaulle Airport to Bayonne arriving 1642. I'll spend the night at Rue Port Neuf, then an 0700 train to SJPDP to next morning. One day/night in SJPP then start my Camino. I decided not to rush it so I can get used to the time change and have time to rest after a long journey -- before the next one!

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
I'm flying into Paris from the US arriving 0700. I have an 1118 train from DeGaulle Airport to Bayonne arriving 1642. I'll spend the night at Rue Port Neuf, then an 0700 train to SJPDP to next morning. One day/night in SJPP then start my Camino. I decided not to rush it so I can get used to the time change and have time to rest after a long journey -- before the next one!
I haven't stayed there, but IMHO your plan sounds very wise. Do book a bed in Orrison for the first day:
SJPdP - Roncesvalles is the toughest day of the whole Camino Frances: It can break your Camino on your first day, if not well fit.

domigee

Veteran Member
2020? Looks like.... nowhere! 😁
SJPdP - Roncesvalles is the toughest day of the whole Camino Frances: It can break your Camino on your first day, if not well fit.
I read that same advice the first time and I did book Orisson... only to cancel the reservation on the day (we didn’t pre-pay then) as all unfit that I was, walking to Roncesvalles in one day was perfectly feasible....
Just another opinion. 🙂

CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads