• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Still deciding on a route

Isobelle

Time of past OR future Camino
September/October
Hello helpful people on this forum. I am swimming in information but still have some big questions about routes. Any insights would be much appreciated.
I am walking first week of Dec
I have between 9 and 12 days now.

I had considered invierno until I read the guide and it feels a but more challenging for a first-timer than I had originally thought. Is this the case?
It may be between CF from Ponferrada or Portugese Central from Porto. I see many people recommend the Portuguese Coastal but the weather looks quite wet that time of year on the forecast. The ther two routes look like less rain- so far as the forecast goes.
My concerns are - rain! and staying as much as possible out of big urban areas, experiencing the camino, the albergues, other people- not too crowded not too isolated and accessible accomodation:)

And- is the best way to get to Ponferrada via Madrid?
Thank you in advance for any feedback.
Iso

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think the Invierno may be quite challenging as a first Camino in winter because of the fairly scarce accommodation midwinter. You may find you have to walk longer stages than you are happy with. The Camino Frances will be fairly quiet by then but all the Xunta albergues should be open along with some of the private options. Although numbers will have dropped a lot it will not be deserted. The Aprinca website is a very useful guide to accommodation on the Frances in winter. It does not list the Xunta albergues which should be open anyway.

Rain? Not much difference between the coastal and inland routes in December. Come prepared for it either way! I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

Hello from Newfoundland. I would think hard about choosing the Portuguese central route from Porto. Plenty of ups and downs and lots of the variety you are looking for but you won’t get battered by winter storms rolling in from the Atlantic Ocean on the coastal route. Start along the river from Porto out to the sea and up the coast to Vila do Conde to get a taste of coastal walking, and then cut inland to join the central route at Arcos. For your CF option, don’t overlook the fact that there are two significant elevations to cross between Ponferrada and SdC (O Cebriero and Cruz de Ferro) which may be weather challenged in December. You may also want to consider walking the final stretch of the Norte from somewhere up on the northern coast down to SdC, lovely in the fall. I walked much of it last November and it was delightful….it also joins the CF in Arzua, which is past the elevations (above) so you would get a taste of the Frances too. But for my money, in December, the Portuguese central would be my choice. Bom Caminho/Buen Camino !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, plan for rain. I recommend the CF from Ponferrada. I disagree with @Martin 888 and there is only O Cebrerio to climb not 2 elevations. Cruz de Fero is before Ponferrada. Easy to get to Ponferrada by train or bus from Madrid. Bus is cheaper.
Oooop’s, you are correct, you wouldn’t think I’d walked the Frances twice if I can’t get my towns and hills in the right order. Thanks for correcting me! I still reco the Portuguese Central in December though, I think the weather and variety of experiences would be kinder.

Hello helpful people on this forum. I am swimming in information but still have some big questions about routes. Any insights would be much appreciated.
I am walking first week of Dec
I have between 9 and 12 days now.

I had considered invierno until I read the guide and it feels a but more challenging for a first-timer than I had originally thought. Is this the case?
It may be between CF from Ponferrada or Portugese Central from Porto. I see many people recommend the Portuguese Coastal but the weather looks quite wet that time of year on the forecast. The ther two routes look like less rain- so far as the forecast goes.
My concerns are - rain! and staying as much as possible out of big urban areas, experiencing the camino, the albergues, other people- not too crowded not too isolated and accessible accomodation:)

And- is the best way to get to Ponferrada via Madrid?
Thank you in advance for any feedback.
Iso

For a 'first-timer,' and especially in the off season, I recommend the Camino Frances, or a segment of it. It will have more amenities than other routes that are still open. You will also encounter more pilgrims, and people, in general. Not a bad thing as winter sets in.

Depending on the amount of time you have, consider starting in Leon, or Astorga. You can get trains or buses to both places fairly easily. Ponferrada is a fairly direct train ride from Madrid. Consult Rome2Rio.com. Search for getting from Madrid to Ponferrada. All possible combinations of travel will be shown.

Assume it will rain everyday - plan and pack for it - then be very grateful for a day without rain. At this time of year, and through May, you can anticipate some snow at elevations above 700 meters above sea level - about 2200 feet ASL. But, that also depends on the temperature and wind direction. Usually the snow will be slight and wet. Ankle-high hiking boots are fine.

Suggest you consult eltiempo.es for good weather forecasts for every named place in Spain. They have an app that should be available worldwide. Search for eltiempo.es in your app store.

Finally, given that much of the off road terrain may be wet and or muddy to some degree, I recommend you use two hiking poles. They are invaluable for maintaining balance and traction, especially on slopes.

Hope this helps,

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think the Invierno may be quite challenging as a first Camino in winter because of the fairly scarce accommodation midwinter. You may find you have to walk longer stages than you are happy with. The Camino Frances will be fairly quiet by then but all the Xunta albergues should be open along with some of the private options. Although numbers will have dropped a lot it will not be deserted. The Aprinca website is a very useful guide to accommodation on the Frances in winter. It does not list the Xunta albergues which should be open anyway.

Rain? Not much difference between the coastal and inland routes in December. Come prepared for it either way! I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

Thank you t2andreo, Bradypus, Martin 888, J Willhaus for your helpful replies.​

It sounds like its a good time to walk just be weather ready, watch out over 700m for snow, book some accomodation ahead carry some food water . I like the idea of the Portugese for many reasons but am drawn to the CF a bit more. Gosh I've spent ages deciding on this, reading this forum researching so I think I may now have to just go for it and see what happens :) I imagine if it gets really bad weather wise I can jump off. Many thanx .

It sounds like its a good time to walk just be weather ready, watch out over 700m for snow, book some accomodation ahead carry some food water . I like the idea of the Portugese for many reasons but am drawn to the CF a bit more. Gosh I've spent ages deciding on this, reading this forum researching so I think I may now have to just go for it and see what happens :) I imagine if it gets really bad weather wise I can jump off. Many thanx .
Good for you @Isobelle you won’t regret it

If you're worried about snow on O Cebrerio you can take the train at Ponferada to get to Sarria. You change at Monforte de Lemos. There is a webcam to allow you to check the weather at the Albergue there.

Wet and misty this morning

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Once you do your first Camino on the Frances, doing the Portuguese will be a lot easier.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back