• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Strange Behaviour - or not . . . .

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
I already feel that the Camino has started to have a strange effect on my habits . . . . I do two or three walks a week, but have recently bought the backpack that I will be taking on Camino next year with me.
I can now be found roaming the trails of rural Nottinghamshire with my backpack which carries normal short-trek essentials plus four kilos of rice (uncooked!) to make the pack up to my 'Camino weight'.
If I ever stumble upon some sort of emergency which needs vast quantities of uncooked rice ( an incident involving a cauldron of Madras curry maybe) - I will be the man of the moment!
By the way, no sightings of Robin Hood yet - will keep you posted. :confused:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a way to cook rice in a backpack. I'm assured it works. In the morning, before leaving home, place a cup of uncooked rice in a thermos (easier if it has a wide lid). Add a cup of boiling water. Seal. Place in backpack. 5 or 6 hours later, open and - perfectly cooked rice!

There is a way to cook rice in a backpack. I'm assured it works. In the morning, before leaving home, place a cup of uncooked rice in a thermos (easier if it has a wide lid). Add a cup of boiling water. Seal. Place in backpack. 5 or 6 hours later, open and - perfectly cooked rice!

Kanga, that is fabulous.
(but usually I use two cups water for one cup rice. One to one works this way?)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No, it's not strange behaviour at all, @Frank66. Well, maybe the uncooked rice makes it so. :rolleyes: I used to train in my full Camino regalia; I well remember the day I tested my rain gear in our legendary rain.

BTW, are you anywhere near Upton near Southwell? I was there last year looking up some distant rellies I connected with via the Internet. Happy training :)

Like it!! Wonder if it would work with flavoured rice.
How do you get the cooked rice out of the thermos?

Biff

@JillGat I haven't tried it myself, so you are probably right. I'm only repeating this from my (dismal) memory.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited:
@Biff that's why you need a wide mouthed thermos. The sort that is used for food, rather than drinks. I can't see why it wouldn't work with flavoured rice too. Or use boiling stock instead of boiling water. Try it and see. Let us know the results.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I tried it........semi cooked rice :oops:

Oh well, @Robo - there goes that theory. Was it just semi cooked rice sitting in water?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Not Strange at all. I get many stares as I walk the trails here in Los Angeles. While everyone is out hiking in their designer outfits I hike with my full back pack packed with essentials and 6lbs of weights to make up for my actual Camino pack :)

I train with Epsom salts in my pack. That and big bottles of water. I don't know what I'm cooking with that, but a nice Epsom bath on the camino would be lovely!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just a question why not hiking with the actual gear? It is not just the weight it is also how to pack the bag that i important. A couple of days ago i packed my backpack different than I use to and that day the bag was heavy and didn't feel comfortable at all. I had to stop and repack after a couple of hours.

The simple reason is that I haven't got all the kit I will be taking with me yet. I agree that to simply pack everything as if I were setting out on the Camino would be the ideal, but until I got the remainder of my equipment I wanted to at least get used to walking with a little weight.

And you might get hungry. Rice mixed with epsom salts - yum!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps it needs more water. I know that this same technique works with rolled oats, Boiling water, rolled or steel cut oats in a thermos before bed and voila! Hot cooked cereal in the morning!

Perhaps it needs more water. I know that this same technique works with rolled oats, Boiling water, rolled or steel cut oats in a thermos before bed and voila! Hot cooked cereal in the morning!

We tried all kinds of ways... Rice grains are a lot harder than Oat Flakes. That might be why it didn't really work.

When we walk next year, my wife will have her bag transported................so who knows..............the Rice Cooker might get to go on the Camino after all :rolleyes: Though having done one Camino now, I'm well aware that all kinds of food are fairly easy to find.... (on the CF)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've also tried it Robo and Kanga and found it worked perfectly......the water has to be actually boiling to begin with and I found that if I just covered the rice, plus about half an inch (whaterver that is in cms), extra, the result was absolutely spot on....Susanawee.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Strange is still walking with my pack even though I did the camino last year. I carry rain gear extra food and my first aid kit because you never know. Once a pilgrim always a pilgrim.

When I cook rice. 1 measure of rice, 2 measures of water or stock. Bring to boil, switch off heat with lid clamped on. No peaking for 20 minutes and hey presto cooked rice. So maybe you need to bring to boil before putting in the flask.....

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.