• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To Orisson or not to Orisson

davejsy

Walked the Camino Francés for SSD UK 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 sept/Oct
Primitivo July 2024
Hello all,
I am due to arrive in St JP de P late Saturday 23rd September. Initially I was thinking of spending two nights there and starting to walk on the Monday to Roncesvalles. I'm now wondering that maybe I walk to Orisson and stay there the Sunday night, given I have the option (subject to current availability) and it will help break up the first part. Also, the accommodation in St JP de P is quite pricey from what I've looked at if not staying in a hostel there. Obviously the prevailing weather could also play a part, so I was also wondering about the likelihood of being able to leave it last minute. I would guess the Camino is starting to get a bit quieter, and Sunday night would not be as busy at these places as say Saturday?
Thank you :)
Dave

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
First Camino i walked straight to Roncesvalles, second i spent the night in Orisson. The mountains are just freaking beautiful and i wanted to spend more time there, so thats my main reason. I arrived late at St.Jean, spent the night there, next morning i went to the stores, did some sightseeing and wasted an hour or so at a cafe. Still made it for lunch in Orisson. If you have not been to St. Jean before, you can likely spend a bit more time, have a chat at the pilgrims office or whatnot. Not much to do at Orisson except for enjoying the views. If weather permits, be up for the sunrise. This is just incredible.
Otherwise, the "full stage" to Roncesvalles is also an option if you are short for time.

You have a couple of options to 'break up' day one.

Subject to availability.
Stay at Orisson or Borda.
Borda: https://www.gronze.com/francia/pirineos-atlanticos/auberge-borda/auberge-borda
Orisson: https://www.gronze.com/francia/pirineos-atlanticos/orisson/refuge-orisson

Or........

Use the mountain shuttle to go back down to St Jean and back up the next day.
That has the added benefit of allowing to carry a lighter pack on your first day (leaving some gear in your lodging in St Jean)

Unless they have moved Express Bourricot (Shuttle) are a few doors down from the Pilgrim Office in St Jean. https://www.expressbourricot.com/passengers-transport/ (scroll down the page)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
so I was also wondering about the likelihood of being able to leave it last minute
Towards the end of September this is probably possible and is much more likely if you are flexible about where you stay and resourceful enough to find that place to stay.

Don't forget AirBnB if other options seem thin on the ground.

First things first is that you need to reserve a bed! It is not an optional walk up the hill and hope you find a place to sleep. As a long time resident of Biarritz, my drives to Orisson to sit on the terrace and take in the view was the highlight of the many days that I lived there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all,
I am due to arrive in St JP de P late Saturday 23rd September. Initially I was thinking of spending two nights there and starting to walk on the Monday to Roncesvalles. I'm now wondering that maybe I walk to Orisson and stay there the Sunday night, given I have the option (subject to current availability) and it will help break up the first part. Also, the accommodation in St JP de P is quite pricey from what I've looked at if not staying in a hostel there. Obviously the prevailing weather could also play a part, so I was also wondering about the likelihood of being able to leave it last minute. I would guess the Camino is starting to get a bit quieter, and Sunday night would not be as busy at these places as say Saturday?
Dave
I believe it's best to make a reservation at Orisson if you want to stay there. I was very lucky that a bed opened (cancellation) and it was without a doubt the best stay I had on the entire Camino!

Thank you all :)

Decision made - I've booked Orisson for the Sunday night. It makes sense given I have the luxury of not needing to do the full-day hiking, and by all accounts, it sounds like a beautiful first night on the Camino :)
As @Anhalter suggested, don't leave early to walk up to Orisson. There's not much to do up there, so I'd aim at getting there in the mid afternoon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As @Anhalter suggested, don't leave early to walk up to Orisson. There's not much to do up there, so I'd aim at getting there in the mid afternoon.
Well, I could spend a few hours out on the terrace there, sipping 1-2 beers and admire the mountain and valley views, reflecting on my first day on the Camino... :cool:

But for those of us who wake up at the crack of dawn or before and can’t go back to sleep, if the weather is good, I’d say take off and start your Camino. After lunch, I went off with a couple of Dutch pilgrims who had tracks for a nice walk up there — views views views! And very little elevation since we just stayed in the area.

Make sure you have some outrageous story to tell at dinner to introduce yourself to your soon to be new family of pilgrims
I REALLY did not like this post-prandial introduction, though I understand that many love it. If I stayed there again, I would sneak out before it started.

Well, I could spend a few hours out on the terrace there, sipping 1-2 beers and admire the mountain and valley views, reflecting on my first day on the Camino... :cool:
Arriving between 2 and 4 pm gives you plenty of time to do this. If you leave SJPdP at 7 am you are likely to get to Orisson around 10 or 11 am, and that's a long time to hang out up there. There's lots to do in SJPdP in the morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Arriving between 2 and 4 pm gives you plenty of time to do this. If you leave SJPdP at 7 am you are likely to get to Orisson around 10 or 11 am, and that's a long time to hang out up there. There's lots to do in SJPdP in the morning.
Agree, good idea, given you have a reservation up there, relax and maybe have lunch in SjpdP before heading out. Given not so high temperatures, in which case I would go in the early morning.

If you are still in the window of booking changes you might consider Borda instead. The rooms are beautiful with only four to a room, each in their own corner private berth, very roomy, meals were delicious, and views spectacular. Only a bit past Orrison. This time we only stopped at Orisson for a snack and views, then walked up to Borda. I’ve stayed at Orrison twice. Borda is a significant upgrade.

Hello all,
Dave
It depends how fit you are and your timescale. We are doing the whole Camino and not on a strict date to finish so we broke up the journey and stayed at Orisson. The communal meal is a nice way to meet other pilgrims.
The walk up to Orisson is the steepest part of the whole stage but comparatively short. The hostel at Borda is not much further and looks very nice.
We were pleased we didn’t do the whole stage in one go, but it’s our first Camino and we’re over 60.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are still in the window of booking changes you might consider Borda instead. The rooms are beautiful with only four to a room, each in their own corner private berth, very roomy, meals were delicious, and views spectacular. Only a bit past Orrison. This time we only stopped at Orisson for a snack and views, then walked up to Borda. I’ve stayed at Orrison twice. Borda is a significant upgrade.
I did look at Borda but they seemed full on that day, but thank you for the recommendation :)

If they were that easy to book at Orisson, I'd get in touch and try to make sure you're not in the lower bunk room. We stayed there on our first Camino, and it was....grim. No seat on the toilet grim. That was 2018, maybe things have changed?

No seat on the toilet grim. That was 2018, maybe things have changed?
The only toilet that had a seat the three times that I stayed at Orisson was the one that serves the dining room. A couple of the non-seat toilets have have a wider flat lip that's a bit more comfortable. 😉

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ah, the porcelain hover. It’s all good practice for nipping behind a bush on that difficult morning on the Way
Ha! This was our first night on our first Camino, and I would say this was the worst (and one of the more expensive) shared albergue accommodations that I've experienced. I did love the rest of my experience there - the afternoon on the terrace, the dinner, and the introductions.

The only toilet that had a seat the three times that I stayed at Orisson was the one that serves the dining room. A couple of the non-seat toilets have have a wider flat lip that's a bit more comfortable. 😉
Whilst important, toilet experience isn't top of my list and France is France. However, this is going to be my first experience of communal living/sleeping to any real degree and I must say I am more than a little apprehensive, but I want to be able to embrace the full spirit of the Camino and this of course is part of it. Orisson seems to be a place that people either love or hate judging by the posts on here, so fingers crossed that I turn out to be one of the ones in the love camp!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Whilst important, toilet experience isn't top of my list and France is France. However, this is going to be my first experience of communal living/sleeping to any real degree and I must say I am more than a little apprehensive, but I want to be able to embrace the full spirit of the Camino and this of course is part of it. Orisson seems to be a place that people either love or hate judging by the posts on here, so fingers crossed that I turn out to be one of the ones in the love camp!!
I don't know how, but others had much better accommodations in the same place. So, perhaps there's a way to request not being in the basement? Like I said, we loved the rest of it there!

Hello all,
Dave
When I did my first coming out of, I stayed in auras son, and I loved it. I could not imagine that
Hello all,
Dave
I stayed in orrison. I am very happy I did. The albergue is nice.
IMHO going up and over the Pyrenees and down into Roncesvailles is a real struggle as the first day, but some do it.

Agree, but once it's open [and check times], ditch your pack beside your bunk, sort what you need for the next morning AND Then enjoy the wine and Company

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When I did my first coming out of, I stayed in auras son, and I loved it. I could not imagine that

I stayed in orrison. I am very happy I did. The albergue is nice.
IMHO going up and over the Pyrenees and down into Roncesvailles is a real struggle as the first day, but some do it.
What / where is Auras Son?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all :)

Decision made - I've booked Orisson for the Sunday night. It makes sense given I have the luxury of not needing to do the full-day hiking, and by all accounts, it sounds like a beautiful first night on the Camino :)
You made the right decision by staying one night in Orisson. Plus it helps you brake down your way to Roncesvalles. My husband and I were so glad we did. We are not hikers and we thought that from SJPP to Orisson was a taught walk, the day we did it was extremely hot and we carried very heavy back packs, we learned our lesson and started sending a bag with half out backpacks contents from place to place. It actually took us 5 hrs that day to reach Orisson, most people do it in 2.5 or 3 hrs. Kudos to those who go to Roncesvalles the same day, I don’t know how they do it, we would have spent the night somewhere on the woods, lol. I’m so glad you decided on spending the night at Orisson. Enjoy your next day to Roncesvalles, the Pyrenees are breathtaking, hope you have a nice and safe walk.

Hello all,
Dave
Hey Dave, I arrive in SJPP on Sat 23rd and will be staying at Orisson Sun night too. It seemed like a great intro to the Camino, and I want to see sunrise up there. See you on the Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back