• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Strange Yearning

capecorps

Looking at the near universal desire of forum members to return to the Camino, a casual observer could well be excused for concluding that their lives while at home are solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

I completed my second Camino four months ago. I met many newbies on the trail, all of whom were very comfortable in their normal lives. They all opined that they would never do another Camino and wondered why I would subject myself to such a trial a second time. I replied that the experience was too intense to be processed completely while they were actually on the trail and that a full appreciation would only come after several months of replaying the Camino experience in their minds at home. I invited them to tell me their opinion then.

They now have and without exception they all want to do another Camino.

Why this strange yearning?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Very interesting . . .

I've always thought that walking the Camino was like having a baby.....the heavy load, the pain, the blood, sweat and tears. Yet, women have second or third or fourth or more babies. Why would you put yourself through that again? Just another one of life's sweet mysteries!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think it has something to do with the fact that it's such a break from our "real" lives, wonderful as they may be, as well as the fact that it's a challenge unlike anything most of us do in our adult lives. There's the physical aspect, but just as importantly there's the mental and spiritual side. We get to really look at ourselves and see if we are who we wish to be. That's why we come home and can't let it go and begin to plan another. Or, it could be that it's just a grand time filled with wonderful people. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For all who wonder why we must do it one laconic answer might be "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." Blaise Pascal, Les Pensées

The appeal is simple: wake up, put your boots on, walk, have something to eat, meet great folks, walk, have some laughs, cry a little bit, have some coffee, see magnificent scenery, walk, touch ancient stone things, eat something, drink some wine, rest and change your socks, walk, meet some great folks, pass through quaint villages, pet the cat, walk, look for your rain gear, photograph the mile-marker, have some laughs, dodge the sheep, have a beer, walk, see magnificent scenery, find a place to spend the night, meet some great folks, eat a hearty meal, drink some wine, collect your thoughts from the day, think about how lucky you are, sleep, and repeat.

The appeal is simple: wake up, put your boots on, walk, have something to eat, meet great folks, walk, have some laughs, cry a little bit, have some coffee, see magnificent scenery, walk, touch ancient stone things, eat something, drink some wine, rest and change your socks, walk, meet some great folks, pass through quaint villages, pet the cat, walk, look for your rain gear, photograph the mile-marker, have some laughs, dodge the sheep, have a beer, walk, see magnificent scenery, find a place to spend the night, meet some great folks, eat a hearty meal, drink some wine, collect your thoughts from the day, think about how lucky you are, sleep, and repeat.
And if you can do all that and not know what day of the week it is, so much the better. :)

It's a longing that is difficult to explain or understand, all that I'm sure of is I'm going back I cannot wait, yet I know my feet will hurt, ill question what was I thinking and I'll finish wanting to do it all over again

Absolutely! Isn't it amazing how simplicity can yield such wonderful results?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm curious to how much people walk when not on the Camino?

I am a weirdo in that I used to walk around at night when I was younger (mid 20's). I would stroll around listening to the radio or podcasts from about 10 PM until 1 or 2 AM... I never really kept track of distance.

Then I split off from my EX and started hiking up mountains but I was a smoker. I quit that a couple years ago and started eating more, so I started hiking more. Last year I probably hiked about 10 KM every other day on average. I tried to pick up running in October but rolled my ankle quite badly on a trail and had to take 2 weeks off my feet doing anything serious. In early November I started running a LOT and was running a couple hours every day... then I decided I would do the Camino this year and switched and over the last couple weeks I have been mainly focused on distance walking and am doing about 15-20 KMs/day, the last 10 days with just about a full pack.

Only downside I have to how much hiking I do is that most of my friends are too intimidated to hike with me. I only have a couple of friends who are actually crazier than me. I took one out last week to do a Camino 'style' walk while I had my pack on and he had a small pack and even his feet hurt after 25 KM, so even really fit people do need to adjust to the distance walking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Well, there are some people for whom once or twice is enough. The woman I walked with in my early camino days (Frances twice, norte once) has no desire to come back, except maybe for a nostalgia tour by car. We are still very close friends, but I can't understand her lack of desire, and she can't understand why I keep coming back. I'd say that both of us have lots of love, fun, and meaning in our "off camino" lives, so I agree that isn't the factor.

I think I agree with those who say that it's the chance to break from the rat race, to just worry about eating sleeping and walking, to contemplate your humanity and mortality, and the opportunity to connect with people on a level that is hard in our crazy world -- those are the things that keep me coming back. I don't live in a place where people routinely sit down with acquaintances and talk about what matters to them. In my world, we all keep those things for our closest friends or family or maybe in our place of worship. On the emotional level, the camino is risk-free -- you get lots of support and you know you're not going to be with the people on whom you've unloaded your deepest feelings once you get back home. The camino is kind of like a truth serum, IMO -- no incentive to impress anyone, no fear about being open with your feelings. And a daily reminder that we have so many reasons for gratitude.

Sorry this is kind of rambling, buen camino, Laurie

I pretty much agree with you Laurie. I love my life. My family, my friends at home and elsewhere, my trips to Spain for the Camino and to visit friends - all are important. It has been and still is a rich life that has just been improved and given greater meaning and depth by the Camino. What it is to me is immeasurable and I continue to drink from the well with an unquenchable thirst. :)

I pretty much agree with you Laurie. I love my life. My family, my friends at home and elsewhere, my trips to Spain for the Camino and to visit friends - all are important. It has been and still is a rich life that has just been improved and given greater meaning and depth by the Camino. What it is to me is immeasurable and I continue to drink from the well with an unquenchable thirst. :)
And I think it's for that "thirst" that you yearn to return. Was there something which didn't get "quenched" the first time or even something which surfaced that you never knew existed within you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For unquenchable thirst read Vino Tinto maybe? Seriously though, I have never settled long for "the same old" in life. The Camino has and is still life changing in a way I feel positive. So I am happy to let it take it's course. :)

I think you said it all.....

Some of us call the condition "Caminoitis." You either catch it, or you do not. I caught it BAD on my first Camino, did a second the following year, and I hope to get well enough to depart on 23 March to do my third.

There is just something about the emptying of oneself to the basic, historical, premise of walking a long distance with a sort of fuzzy, soft, spiritual purpose in mind; then having that faith reassured every day, every kilometer, and in nearly every human interaction you have along the way. This is antithetical to "real life" I think.

Everything you experience and the entire paradigm you live within "back in the world" is simply GONE. You have no "normal" framework. The essentials of your former, structured life only press upon you when you have to restart your "street smarts" when walking into a large town or city along the Camino. Otherwise, it is you, The Way, your thoughts and meditations, and the daily experiences you have.

I have thought long an hard on this. On balance, I think this is a very good thing. In one context, walking a Camino is sort of a sabbatical from the busy, structured, technical, rule-driven world we live in. You carry everything you need for a month or more on your back, yet you realize a week or so out that you actually have packed too much.

In another, more profound context, we find ourselves, our inner selves while out on the Camino. For some of us, who "get it," it is a deeply profound, and transformative experience.

Pleas allow me to digress and share and example of what I mean:

In 2013, the late Rev. Philip Wren and I were walking across rolling fields of green shoulder-high winter wheat, west of Alto de Perdon and east of Logrono. Though retired from active ministry due to his chronic medical problems, his passion was the Camino, and he had done it in sections 10 times previously.

Phil was a character. He always walked in sandals, a hat with a turned up front in the traditional manner, with a single hiking staff /mono pod, and in his international orange poncho. His chest was criss-crossed with a high-end digital camera and gadget bags in addition to his rucksack. He was a veritable encyclopedia of Camino lore and knowledge. In the one week I shared with him, I think I caught the Caminoitis from Phil.

Phil was recording video, including an audio track of the wind blowing through the wheat fields. He called it "the voice of God." He was recording it to share with the many groups he spoke to as a speaker on behalf of the UK Confraternity of St. James (CSJ). My role was "key grip." I held his "stuff" and secured his international orange poncho from flapping and causing distortion in the audio track. Phil was convinced that the sound of the wind blowing through the tall wheat was a sign from above. He was passionate about it. It was a beautiful, sunny day.

That night, we parted ways at Logrono. I had a hotel reservation. Phil was in the municipal albergue. He had told me that when he "clocked into" the albergue at Logrono he completed his third, full Camino Frances, in stages, as his health would permit. The date was 30 April 2013.

I later learned that Phil went to sleep that evening and did not awaken the following morning. He started his eternal Camino on 1 May 2013. I think of Phil often and daily when I am on Camino.

This is just one example of the change the Camino can have on some people. Phil Wren was an exception. I experience the joy of being on Camino, helping others who need it, and being a resource here in the forum, as part of the ministry that sort of found me when I walked that first Camino. Lord willing, I intend to continue doing this as long as I can walk.

I hope this helps...

I miss Phil's wise and gentle input to the forum.

I do too, but then, he has now reached the ultimate goal of his pilgrimage and we should be happy for him! He doesn't get blisters anymore, instead he just enjoys being where he is. Buen Camino to all of us - and Phil! SY

This reminds me of something I learned when I began backpacking in the mountains. You rely on everyone you meet, as they rely on you. You are, of necessity, one another's general store. If you are out of Marmite and peanut butter, I am out of powdered milk. If your feet are disintegrating in new boots not broken in and I have a spare package of moleskin, it seems only natural to give it to you. But I want to learn how to live this way in the city which is my home. If I empty my change purse for a homeless couple, as I did yesterday, we are all richer. I guess that I want to be St Francis and I figure that the camino should be a good place to find out how to do that, as he walked it before me and as all of you are giving me wonderful examples of how to practice open-heartedness. I don't want this to be just a "while on the camino" exercise.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a generous thought from our closest neighbour! You may meet a lot more of us, as thousands have been laid off with the low price of oil. I hope that we will not disappoint you.

Love you all, I might be moving out there in 2016. Both my long-term ex's were from Alberta, one from Calgary one from Medicine Hat. Spent a lot of Christmas's in Alberta. :)

Hope the oil prices get back up.

I love my family and I did miss them while I was on the Camino. I also experienced the yearning after returning home. It was a yearning of an enriched experience. Experiencing the spiritual and the oneness with other pilgrims. It is even more than that. It is very hard to explain fully.

OK. Own up if you were able to remember the day of the week every day of your Camino! I more often don't know the day than know it when walking! :) A happy state I think. Actually, come to think of it - what day is it today?
:D Yes, it is delightful to not know what day of the week it is. True story: My companions and I walked off and on for a few days before O'Cebreiro with a delightful Swedish woman. She had been walking the Camino in stages over a period of years and was very conscious of having to get to Sarria by a certain date, so she could get back to Sweden in time to return to work. One day I happened to mention to her, perhaps a bit unempathetically, that I had no reason to know what day of the week it was. She replied, "I've noticed."

Looking at the near universal desire of forum members to return to the Camino, a casual observer could well be excused for concluding that their lives while at home are solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

I completed my second Camino four months ago. I met many newbies on the trail, all of whom were very comfortable in their normal lives. They all opined that they would never do another Camino and wondered why I would subject myself to such a trial a second time. I replied that the experience was too intense to be processed completely while they were actually on the trail and that a full appreciation would only come after several months of replaying the Camino experience in their minds at home. I invited them to tell me their opinion then.

Great replies - likes to all.

It seems to me that Hobbes’ description of the life of man in a state of nature (solitary, poor … - totally wrong of course, but Leviathon was written in the first flush of our romance with technology) has now come full circle and could well describe life in our technological, hyper civilized, stressed out society. Perhaps the fact that the Camino allows one to get back to a more natural and traditional way of life for six weeks partially explains its appeal – it seems to optimize physical, mental and spiritual well-being, often in a subliminal way.

Technology has enabled society to go full tilt twenty four hours a day. As a result practically everyone has disrupted circadian rhythms. Right off the bat, the schedule of the Camino forces people into their natural biological clock: lights out at 10:00pm shortly after sunset; wake up at 6:00am with the sun; outside in the sun all day; mild aerobic activity in spectacular natural surroundings for seven hours; food and drink outside in the sun; social interaction during the day; no bright lights at night; no television, computers, etc. Lots of walking, good sleep, good food, good company, excellent wine, soothing sweet rest, walking hallowed ground sanctified by the blood, sweat and tears of a million pilgrims. All in short supply in normal lives. And we take to it like a duck to water.

How many of us in our daily lives set off alone in the early morn bravely walking into the solitude of the darkest night and the deep unknown with just a led headlight to light our way. How many of us in our daily lives have the time or inclination to linger a moment and contemplate the breaking dawn softly, sweetly caressing the black night and distant stars with tentative pink, blue and violet kisses gently at first but slowly gathering strength for the absolute brilliance of the maturing sun embracing the clouds with vibrant orange and deep red hues to finally vanquish the night with the azure, startling blue of the Castilian sky. How many of us feel our souls lifting, cleansing and filling with the new dawn to embrace the heavens and our God.

We don’t see the sun rise through the tall buildings, the smog and the bright city lights.

it's one of those questions which 'demands' living the question and not trying to figure out the answer.
with the camino yearning, i don't even try to find an answer - i'd rather honor the question. and the whole mystery of it all.

i do recall though lines that evoked or resonated with that longing. and hermann hesse had a lot to do with it in my far distant youth. in switzerland i once lived in a small village where he lived and worked. -- he wrote much about the wandering with a simple rucksack, across the alps, into italy, etc ...

hope you won't mind me sharing this ....

“For me, trees have always been the most penetrating preachers. I revere them when they live in tribes and families, in forests and groves. And even more I revere them when they stand alone. They are like lonely persons. Not like hermits who have stolen away out of some weakness, but like great, solitary men, like Beethoven and Nietzsche. In their highest boughs the world rustles, their roots rest in infinity; but they do not lose themselves there, they struggle with all the force of their lives for one thing only: to fulfil themselves according to their own laws, to build up their own form, to represent themselves. Nothing is holier, nothing is more exemplary than a beautiful, strong tree. When a tree is cut down and reveals its naked death-wound to the sun, one can read its whole history in the luminous, inscribed disk of its trunk: in the rings of its years, its scars, all the struggle, all the suffering, all the sickness, all the happiness and prosperity stand truly written, the narrow years and the luxurious years, the attacks withstood, the storms endured. And every young farmboy knows that the hardest and noblest wood has the narrowest rings, that high on the mountains and in continuing danger the most indestructible, the strongest, the ideal trees grow.

Trees are sanctuaries. Whoever knows how to speak to them, whoever knows how to listen to them, can learn the truth. They do not preach learning and precepts, they preach, undeterred by particulars, the ancient law of life.

A tree says: A kernel is hidden in me, a spark, a thought, I am life from eternal life. The attempt and the risk that the eternal mother took with me is unique, unique the form and veins of my skin, unique the smallest play of leaves in my branches and the smallest scar on my bark. I was made to form and reveal the eternal in my smallest special detail.

A tree says: My strength is trust. I know nothing about my fathers, I know nothing about the thousand children that every year spring out of me. I live out the secret of my seed to the very end, and I care for nothing else. I trust that God is in me. I trust that my labor is holy. Out of this trust I live.

When we are stricken and cannot bear our lives any longer, then a tree has something to say to us: Be still! Be still! Look at me! Life is not easy, life is not difficult. Those are childish thoughts. Let God speak within you, and your thoughts will grow silent. You are anxious because your path leads away from mother and home. But every step and every day lead you back again to the mother. Home is neither here nor there. Home is within you, or home is nowhere at all.

A longing to wander tears my heart when I hear trees rustling in the wind at evening. If one listens to them silently for a long time, this longing reveals its kernel, its meaning. It is not so much a matter of escaping from one's suffering, though it may seem to be so. It is a longing for home, for a memory of the mother, for new metaphors for life. It leads home. Every path leads homeward, every step is birth, every step is death, every grave is mother.

So the tree rustles in the evening, when we stand uneasy before our own childish thoughts: Trees have long thoughts, long-breathing and restful, just as they have longer lives than ours. They are wiser than we are, as long as we do not listen to them. But when we have learned how to listen to trees, then the brevity and the quickness and the childlike hastiness of our thoughts achieve an incomparable joy. Whoever has learned how to listen to trees no longer wants to be a tree. He wants to be nothing except what he is. That is home. That is happiness.”
Hermann Hesse, Bäume. Betrachtungen und Gedichte

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well said.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back