• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions? Doable?

ctdkite

Time of past OR future Camino
hoping
Here’s the scenario:
  • My wife can get three weeks off of work for our first camino.
  • We’d like to do the Portuguese route, preferably coastal, starting in Porto.
  • Before Porto, we’d like to visit Fatima.
  • Given the time parameters, I figure that gives us about 15 days for walking to Santiago.
  • We are looking at May 2016.
  • We are in our early 50s. She is in very good shape. I am in good/fair shape.
Doable? Suggestions?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi.

You have to take note that between the 5th to 13th of May thousands of pilgrims walk toward Fatima.

Easily you can do 10 or 11 days Porto-Santiago

Hi.

You have to take note that between the 5th to 13th of May thousands of pilgrims walk toward Fatima.

Thanks, I knew about the 12th/13th events at Fatima. Until now though, I was not thinking about pilgrims going toward Fatima from the north. Would they make finding sleeping accommodations difficult?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, I knew about the 12th/13th events at Fatima. Until now though, I was not thinking about pilgrims going toward Fatima from the north. Would they make finding sleeping accommodations difficult?
yes - for e.g. Mario at the Santarem Hostel said he had lots of reservations for the mid May time period and he had to 'turn away' SdC pilgrims.
you should be fine if you make reservations ahead of time - especially if you happen to be around Fatima around May 13th.
Bom Caminho - May is a lovely time to walk (lots of gorgeous wild flowers etc) -
C

I would think the very best idea would be to go directly to the Coastal Route from Porto and stay on the coast until Vigo before cutting over to the Interior Route to finish into SdC.
It is much less traveled at this time as most Pilgrims are still walking the Interior Route without much knowledge of the Coastal.
I would think that most Fatima Pilgrims will be on the Interior Route.

There is now a small guide to the Coastal Route available at book stores in Porto. There is an earlier thread describing the guide.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the Forum. I see you've changed your arrival date. May I suggest the Camino has already impacted your walk on the Way to SDC. Look into the FAQ section for some valuable information and suggestions. Many of your questions will be answered there. If not...ask...then be prepared for a deluge of friendly responses.
Bom Caminho,
Arn

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back